This is just wrong... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Supporting Member

This is just wrong...

What every road warrior who can't pull off the road for 5 minutes to check email needs...

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s..._img&pi=Y&st=8

No disclaimer warning people not to drive and use the laptop desk simultaneously?
Where are the lawyers?

I saw a guy driving, drinking coffee, and reading what looked like the Wall Street Journal spread across the steering wheel. NO!!!

I hate stupid people... They ought to have to wear a sign that says "I'm stupid!"

davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
*shrug*

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
It would be a pain to set that up and use it on the go. I don't think it'll cause a widespread problem. If you have to make anything more than a minor steering correction the whole thing will fall apart. As for warnings, don't we love to make fun of the obvious stupid ones?
You know why warnings are put on products? Because sometime in the past, some nut... -James Gregory
davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

*shaking head*

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjh72 View Post
What every road warrior who can't pull off the road for 5 minutes to check email needs...

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s..._img&pi=Y&st=8

No disclaimer warning people not to drive and use the laptop desk simultaneously?
Where are the lawyers?

I saw a guy driving, drinking coffee, and reading what looked like the Wall Street Journal spread across the steering wheel. NO!!!

I hate stupid people... They ought to have to wear a sign that says "I'm stupid!"
In all fairness the picture shows that the keys are not in the ignition and that he is in a parking lot. I have had this situation arise many time were I have to pull over breakout the laptop and pull something up for someone that needs the info now. Not that I would by this thing but...

The people that will do makeup, talk on cell phones, read books and paper will do this whether there is handy device or not. Most of the time I see these guys with the laptop open on the passenger seat and are leaning across to work on the laptop How many sun visors have mirrors on them with no warnings. Some things just don't need to be said.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

Scold me for being cheap

On long-distance trips, I will admit to using the laptop while driving. I'm too cheap to buy my own iPod. So instead of stealing my wife's iPod, I have developed a revolutionary device, that I'm confident will sweep Nation: The LapPod. It holds 120,000 songs, has a built-in calculator, and can print a pdf-file. Take that apple! Not only that, it can post on GasSavers. Boo-Yeah. Nevermind the size -- it's still portable!

Truthfully, on Interstate trips, I have an i-Trip-like transmitter that broadcasts on FM stations so I can listen to my tunes in the rental car, instead of what Joplin, MO wants me to.

Whilst storm spotting, real-time updates of the Radar Composite helps

In all fairness, the device shown is re-gosh-darn-diculous. I hope Z is right that it's stationary. Also, the above is true, albeit in the passenger seat -- hey calm down now -- if the police can have a computer system, radios, cell-phone, siren/lights control, and RWD, then laptop use for music on trips is reasonable, right?

-Multitasker
Old 04-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Some things just don't need to be said.
Har Har... To be honest, I find it quite sad that a warning is necessary. Then again, I think of myself as rather mechanically inclined and decent at figuring things out... Things like - not killing myself by wearing a tie and working a lathe o.0

In a machine shop - some people know enough to keep themselves safe. Other people know just enough to get themselves killed :/

Sorry for the tangent, but that's just how I feel.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
Supporting Member

RH77 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
On long-distance trips, I will admit to using the laptop while driving. I'm too cheap to buy my own iPod. So instead of stealing my wife's iPod, I have developed a revolutionary device, that I'm confident will sweep Nation: The LapPod. It holds 120,000 songs, has a built-in calculator, and can print a pdf-file. Take that apple! Not only that, it can post on GasSavers. Boo-Yeah. Nevermind the size -- it's still portable!
I also did this once with a crummy 8" long B&W LG Phenom :

Attachment 341

I had a 5 hour drive from LA to Phoenix, so I downloaded a bunch of articles to the Phenom and read them on the way. Not too hard to do in light traffic.

Quote:
Truthfully, on Interstate trips, I have an i-Trip-like transmitter that broadcasts on FM stations so I can listen to my tunes in the rental car, instead of what Joplin, MO wants me to.
I have never been able to get a good FM transmitter for my car. Is this an "LA" thing with all the broadcast stations, or do you have the "Manna Transmitter" that works really good?

I have an "FM Modulator", but you have to install that inline with your antenna cable to be able to take over an FM station. Still not perfect, but works better.

Quote:

Whilst storm spotting, real-time updates of the Radar Composite helps

In all fairness, the device shown is re-gosh-darn-diculous. I hope Z is right that it's stationary. Also, the above is true, albeit in the passenger seat -- hey calm down now -- if the police can have a computer system, radios, cell-phone, siren/lights control, and RWD, then laptop use for music on trips is reasonable, right?

-Multitasker
I am really sure that the device is for use in a parking lot. There are lots of "business consoles" that strap into front passenger seats, but those are not convenient for presenting the laptop to the driver/user for typing. I think these things are ideal for contractors and such.

But who needs to buy one? It should be pretty easy to make a custom one for your steering wheel.

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote