This Year's New Movies - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

This Year's New Movies

does anyone else believe that this is a fantastic year for new movies?

i can't remember the last time there were so many that i REALLY would like to see. sadly, i won't be able to see them all due to financial constraints. however, there is a tiny theatre near me where the matinee price is only $4.50 so...

anyway these are my choices for seeing at the theatre or buying on DVD at a later date:
taken
fast and furious
star trek
terminator
transformers
x-men
angels and demons
the taking of pelham 123
gi joe

and land of the lost WOULD have been on my list IF it were not made as a comedy. how lame!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

I didn't know there was a remake of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. Cool. Robert Shaw's tough to beat, but a lot of it could use a bit of updating. Hopefully it'll be better than the remake of The Day of the Jackal was (shudder).

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

well, 2 great actors should make it a must see...denzel and travolta.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

I'm more plot driven, personally, and it's got that!

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

i'm w/ ya on that. as i've gotten older, i appreciate drama a little more. but those "lost plot" action movies still attract me.

great acting can salvage a movie for me. wolf w/ nicholson is a good illustration--i hated the plot, but the acting was fantastic.

i really shy away from comedies as i'm afraid to waste my time and money. i'll watch them on satellite tv, however. but, i refuse to pay for premium movie channels.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

I mostly enjoy trying to figure out what comes next. Great acting is a bonus as I see it. It's nice to have it, but plot and writing is the key. Take the movie Brick which arguably has some lousy acting. I still enjoyed it greatly. Of course it is an homage to my favorite film (Miller's Crossing), so I'm biased. For a counter example, the contrast between A Fish Called Wanda and Fierce Creatures was stark. It takes more than the same actors to make it a win.

Don't get me wrong there are some really impressive performances out there that some movies wouldn't be the same without. The Lion in Winter, for example. I guess I mostly see it as analogous to nutrition: bad enough and it can screw anything up, but once you get above "good" levels, there's diminishing returns.

I think a lot of experiencing any film or music is set and setting. Seeing a plotless action flick with your friends can be a lot of fun. I still hum music from the Katamari Damacy soundtrack just because I loved the game so much. If I had come across it independently I wouldn't have given it the time of day.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-25-2009, 03:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

you said you weren't aware of all that is currently playing, so here is your source...http://www.fandango.com/
Old 05-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks. I get all my movies via NetFlix and don't have TV so I don't hear about stuff for quite a while sometimes. I very rarely see things in theatres, unless I'm with somebody.

co de pen den cy

Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

This year new movies are The Third Nail.I absolutely loved this movie.Won't say much about it, because I don't want to give it away, but you will not see the ending coming. It's a twister for sure!I usually have movies figured out in 10 mins,but this ending came out of left field. Great movie,plot, visual, audio.