Thoughts on New Cars - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
as for the rx-8, I think the 20s refers to mileage. I have heard they are horribly inefficient. I would also think that it would do better than that on a qtr as most compact cars are in the 18s or better. also remember that this is mazdas sports car, it wouldn't be that slow.

for that small of a package, it get unbelievable horsepower (at 8k or so)

*edit*

mazda RX-8
6 speed manual
1.3 liter RENESIS 2-rotor rotary
232 @ 8,500 (hp)
159 @ 5,500 (tq)
9000 (redline)
10.0 : 1 (compression ratio)
16 / 22 (mileage city/highway)

I found a web site that said 1/4 mile time of 15.010 for a 2007 but take that for what it's worth here is the site http://www.dragtimes.com/Mazda-RX-8-Timeslip-12238.html
Your comment on MPG is the problem Mazda has always had with the Rotary.
The 1.3 c.c. engine generates more power than engines 3 and 4 times as large but that is ignored. The comparison should not be by cubic inches but by Horse Power.
That they use the Rotary in small cars has added to the perception; people equate small car with good gas mileage.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #22
Registered Member

I've heard that fuel consumption with the Wankel worsens with life as uneven seal wear takes its toll.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Anyway... My ideal "retro" car, which will probably never get into production now seeing as its been a concept car for almost 9 years now is the Buick Blackhawk.

Styled after the Buicks of the 30's & 40's. I'm a sucker for Buicks, just about any model/year will make me happy, but I'm especially fond of the Buicks from the late 40's - 70's.
By the way, I was at the Buick GS Nationals when that car was debuted. 2001 I think. A VERY impressive car all the way around - complete with a Fuel Injected 455 right after my own heart...

-Bob C.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #24
Site Team / Moderator

I don't think I'd need a fuel injected 455, I'd be happy with a small block 350. I would love to have a Blackhawk, and I wouldn't care if it got 5 MPG in my daily drive either...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
We <snip> thing?

Idiot.
Blah blah blah.

Your pile would have to have been related to freekin Christine. What a story!

I have five (5) of them. I've known one of them since it was new in 1984. What are the odds that I've not experienced anything like you have in 25 years, 5x the vehicles, and about 500,000 miles???

I will say yes the early headliners separated and the cloth fell down after several years. Later ones are fine- I don't know the year they changed that. Had that happen to a Dodge too- many cars of that era used the same faulty set-up. 3M spray adhesive FTW.

ATX Tempos = smooth, and good for low 30s mpg on a good day, high 20's with lots of city. More than chirps the tires.

Changing oil every 2000 miles. There's a sure sign of an idiot.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Blah blah blah...
When I was young & stupid I used to change the oil in the Buick when it turned black. That was at about every 1,500 miles before the new engine. When I got the new engine, the oil was changed at 500 miles, 1,500 miles, 3,000 miles, then I settled into every 5,000 miles after that. I've been changing it yearly or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first for probably close to 15 years now. Always with Mobil1 synthetic, and my oil is never black by the time I change it.

As a matter of fact, since I've been using synthetic oil, I have never seen the oil in any of my vehicles turn black.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #27
Registered Member

Get it right.

Quote:
Blah blah blah.

Your pile would have to have been related to freekin Christine. What a story!

I have five (5) of them. I've known one of them since it was new in 1984. What are the odds that I've not experienced anything like you have in 25 years, 5x the vehicles, and about 500,000 miles???

I will say yes the early headliners separated and the cloth fell down after several years. Later ones are fine- I don't know the year they changed that. Had that happen to a Dodge too- many cars of that era used the same faulty set-up. 3M spray adhesive FTW.

ATX Tempos = smooth, and good for low 30s mpg on a good day, high 20's with lots of city. More than chirps the tires.

Although I wasn't a hypermiler, I was not an aggressive driver either. I could not get any better than 24 mpg highway using cruise control (3-speed auto). I also could NOT chirp the tires once I had them replaced with Futuras. The stock ones could chirp, but they were 12 years old when I bought the car, and had quite a bit of dry rot.

As far as the other issues... my mom's '89 Crown Victoria had the SAME problems with the windows, door locks, headliner, radio, trunk latch, exhaust, and leaking vents. Her transmission also went out at 110,000 miles. The Vic leaked a quart and a half of oil per 3,000 miles (my Tempo never leaked). Her car also went through 2 alternators and 3 starters between 50,000 and 150,000 miles. We replaced her coil and module before the car had 100,000 miles on it. I remember my dad replacing the U-Joints, too.

As far as changing the oil, I did it at 2,000 miles for two reasons: (1) I thought it was good for the car. (2) I changed the oil on my mom's car and dad's truck, and they accumulated 3,000 - 3,500 miles on their vehicles in the same amount of time that I drove 2,000. I changed the oil on all 3 cars at the same time.

I will state (AGAIN!!) that some people had good luck with their Tempos. Some people hated theirs. I am the latter. I'm not going to say that Some Tempos were not built well. As strange as it is, most positive reviews I've seen are of GLs. Mine was an LX. Perhaps the extra crap on it was more prone to breaking. I don't know how to find out which Tempos were built in which location (2-door verus 4-door, powertrain differences, model designations?). I do know this. Mine was pampered for the time I had it, and it fell apart.

I replaced the Tempo with an '88 Accord with 230,000 miles on it. I beat the crap out of that car for the rest of my senior year and for two years of college. I treated it worse than I ever did the Tempo, and it never broke down. (I towed the Tempo four times). The Accord's thermostat went out ($2.95) and the choke stuck once. The car still ran fine when I sold it with almost 280,000 miles on it.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You could compare production plants by VIN.
http://www.vehicleidentificationnumb...in_detail.html

In the late 1980s, by my observations, The Big 3 were still lagging behind the Japanese manufacturers in quality/reliability/durability/longevity. The 1980s were when the Japanese manufacturers earned their reputation as doing so much better in those areas. It's certainly possible for someone to have all those problems with a 1989 Ford without any abuse or negligence, and it's not unreasonable for someone to dislike them as a result.

In the 20+ years since, the domestic manufacturers have definitely stepped up their game, while the Japanese companies seem to have outgrown themselves a bit. The playing field is very even, and has been for 10 years IMO. Now the difference seems to be mainly attitude and treatment by owners who believe in those stale reputations...people who buy Japanese cars tend to be more interested in longevity, while people who buy American cars tend to be more interested in a disposable car; and they treat their cars as such.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Don't blame Ford for the shoddy painting of some backyard hack.

I could go on and on.

You sound like someone that doesn't know jack about cars. Couldn't open the hood? Couldn't properly fix a trunk latch? Change oil every 2000 miles? WTF?

Blah blah blah.

Wow... You're a real a**hole.

You always seem to escalate things into personal attacks, don't you?

Yeesh.
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I'm not going back to see who made the first personal attack, but Biffmeistro has made the last one in this thread. Capiche?