Thoughts on New Cars - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Thoughts on New Cars

Driving about, as I do, I have finally had opportunity to see a few on-road examples of the new cars.

Ford made the new Mustang look so much like the classic that old guys can get excited. It looks like a cross between the retro and modern technology.

The Dodge Challenger is scary! It looks like time-warp from the 70's.

At first glance it catches the eye as something different but the more I stare the less I am impressed with the Camero.
Chevrolet chose to head off in an entirely different direction than retro, but it looks like something else, like it wanted to be a Dodge Charger...maybe.

The goo-goo, waa-waa's won't understand the appeal of a Hummer, because they think it right and proper that everything be homogeneous,
but I have an itch that says there is a market for something distinct.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Site Team

As much as I've always been anti-Ford, I gotta admit the new Mustangs look good. And I've seen some killer drivetrains too (big blowers etc.)...

I have a feeling I'd be disappointed by the new Challenger. It's a cool-looking car, but I have this feeling that once I was inside I would find it very "plastic". haven't had a first-hand experience yet, so I'm still hopeful.

-BC

Old 08-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

the camaro looks a lot like the new cadillacs that have come out recently. I am a big fan of the challenger but the fact that you can get one for 22k starting out means that everyone and their neighbor COULD have one. that takes a little from the allure, at least for me. the same can be said about the other two.

I saw one behind a house the other day and could easily say that the house wasn't worth much more than what they were asking for the really upgraded version of the car. I didn't realize that they made one with a V6 at the time. did some research and found out that you can get one cheap (relatively speaking)

my cars run pretty good right now so I am going to wait mine out. I would also need a vehicle with a descent back seat and my hunch is that none of these cars would accomedate a car seat (not the rear facing ones anyway) I have a hard enought time in the cavalier with that.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post

Don't know what a goo goo waa waa is. But street Hummers suck.
I think that was a reference to cry-babies.

Anyway... My ideal "retro" car, which will probably never get into production now seeing as its been a concept car for almost 9 years now is the Buick Blackhawk.

Styled after the Buicks of the 30's & 40's. I'm a sucker for Buicks, just about any model/year will make me happy, but I'm especially fond of the Buicks from the late 40's - 70's.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I'm tall enough to where I can't even see traffic lights without leaning forward and scrunching down, ...
How the hell do you fit in Tempos? Those are the most claustrophobic car I've ever had to drive.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I really like the Challenger. It's got to be one of the few new cars I'd actually try and justify buying myself. As it is though, until they get one like this one I won't buy it.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I like all 3 new pony cars, aesthetically speaking. The Camaro was designed to be very polarizing; most people either hate it or love it.

All my life I've wanted a Camaro, and the new one looks great to me, plus it delivers pretty impressive numbers. The base V6 6MT model, around $23,000, produces the similar EPA FE numbers to my little VW Rabbit, far better acceleration, RWD, and weighs more (which I like). I haven't had the opportunity to sit in one so I have no idea if I'd be comfortable.

The Challenger is even heavier than the Camaro, does not match its EPA FE rating or its speed; and the V6 is not available with a manual transmission. That would make it a no-go for me unless we're talking about winning the lottery.

The Mustang can't match the Camaro's EPA FE rating either. I don't know much about it, but at least its V6 can be had with a manual transmission.

I guess I'm a GM guy.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Registered Member

The Challenger is absolutely huge. 4,000+ lbs does not a sports car make. I like the proportions, but it looks like it is built on a 5/4 scale. That's the problem with building it on a (slightly) chopped version of the 300C/Charger platform.

The Camaro has great engines, but it is portly, too. 3,800 lbs for the SS. And for such a large car (not as big as the Challenger, but still dwarfs the Mustang), there is not much space in the back or trunk.

I am NOT a Ford fan. However, the Mustang gets it. It is lighter, has less power, and can still run with the Dodge and Chevy in a straight line. Its lightness pays off in quick handling transitions and in braking. The Mustang beat a Camaro and Challenger in a recent Car and Driver comparison test.

All three of them are too big and bulky for me. Bring back the Prelude!
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

If they want to repop the Pony cars of yesteryear, I would want a 1970 340 Duster, which weighed about 2800 pounds, even with the old basher bumpers.

The new breed has no appeal to me whatsoever.

Guess I am not that nostalgic.

If it was a Chevy, I would want a 67 Nova.

The original Mustang weighed 2395 pounds and cost $2395.

Thats 105 less than an 06 Corolla.

Even better would be a 240Z with a modern 4 valve, twin cam, aluminum engine putting out about 300 HP in a 2500 pound car.

regards
gary
Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Registered Member

The new Mustang reminds me of Marvin the paranoid android, you can imagine it saying "An engine the size of a planet and you make me fetch groceries *sigh*"

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote