Thrifty McGassaver got some bling! - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
lol, that was me! I still think about doing that, but there are quite a few Prius owners, one Escape hybrid and a Vue hybrid that FLY by me in the morning commute. I just kind of shake my head sadly as they do that.

Yeah, the Hybrid Escape supposedly gets 34mpg with a 15 gallon tank for a combined total of 500 miles, kind of a big tank, but I'm used to only 10 gallon tanks. Ironically, I have a friend that owns a V6 Escape, 4 wheel drive 2005 or 6 model with 4 speed automatic and can get 25 mpg out of it with little effort. She does accelerate nice and slow and doesn't speed. Which is cool because I got to drive it once this winter and it was a BLAST!

So I suppose I should give a first day update for my morning commute:
It surprised me this morning that most people actually did NOT tailgate me and instead went right into the passing lane and went by. I didn't get any gestures or ill-will so far. Which is surprising because usually I will be tailgated from a red light or just in general on the highway. It seems that here in MN, that if you are driving the posted speed limit you're going too slow and should be tailgated so you speed up, even though you are in the right (read: SLOOOOOOOW) lane.

I will be sure to post about my return commute tonight since that one is the "I want to get home from work so you better get out of my way!" mentality for the commute home for most people.

lol my truck has a 20 gal tank sucks to fill up but lasts about 2 weeks

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #32

I used to have on my Civic.....and may add to my Geo.

"Go ahead & laugh - My car SIPS GAS, but your car SUCKS!" Now that's confrontational! Most saw the humor.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #33
Registered Member

I think "The Driver Of This Vehicle Is Dangerously Insane" would suffice for my car.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #34
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I'm going fast enough and get 50+mpg
Follow me . . . I get 50+mpg
Drive like me 50+MPG

Friend sold his twin turbo 500+hp red porche and got a Red S2000 that he parks next to the red H2 - just sold the red S2000 for a red Prius and complains that the mileage is not that great, the engine is always running and thought it would get better gas mileage at 85 mph . . . well duh! But he does like the ability to carry passengers.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:14 AM   #35
Registered Member

I think that a lot of times people unintentionally do stuff that makes their Prius keep running when it might otherwise shut off. On older ones, using the AC was a common culprit. Not sure what it might be now...
Old 04-24-2007, 06:07 AM   #36
Registered Member

"Enjoy your next fill-up" might inspire some to think.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #37
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
UPDATE:
Yesterdays commute home went extremely smooth as well as this morning's commute. I did have one SUV riding my arse from a red light for about an 1/8th of a mile but then they passed quickly. So all-in-all I think the fact that I mention that my car is slow but I'm doing it for the mileage is actually making others aware and leaving me alone.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #38
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Good one, but I don't have to coast to get 50MPG, lol
I suppose if I really started EOC and shutting of my engine at red lights I could get up to 60MPG but my engine is getting old, even by Honda standards! It's just over 330K miles now on it and starting to show by burning some oil from both the piston rings and the valve stem seals. So I don't want to put it through more harshness than necessary. That's why I'm looking for another D15Z1 or a D15Y5 (Civic HX motor) to rebuild and throw in there for some Fresh FE numbers.
What, you dont have to EOC to get great mileage? I need to get one of those... At this point the engine is off as much as it is on with the Peug. Actually it is more like 45, but 50 sounds better.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #39
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I think that a lot of times people unintentionally do stuff that makes their Prius keep running when it might otherwise shut off. On older ones, using the AC was a common culprit. Not sure what it might be now...
The 2005 model I drove a little had a very sensitive gas pedal and it took real concentration to find the sweet spots where it would coast, go electric only with wimpy acceleration, then start the engine was just a hair more throttle and then regen to slow you down which was the easiest. Then the more important braking action to get more regen without using the mechanical brakes was pretty touchy too. Some day I will drive the 2007 she got to replace it and see how different that is.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #40
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

I have another.......

My driving may suck - but I get 45mpg!

Enter your own numbers, probably higher than mine!!

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote