Time for a new vacuum - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

I used to sell electronics at Sears and sometimes when it was slow I'd sell vacuums next door. In Short, buy a 49 dollar Hoover, I a Hoover bagless with attachments, had it since 99, replaced the belt once and it has a removable airfilter, I beat it out once a month, this vacuum has inhailed screws, washers, quarters, staples, you name it, keeps on cleaning the house, hardwoods and rugs. I have a Shop Vac for the basement work shop, and I found a Kirby 2, that had a bad switch, replaced the switch and it has been a great second vac.

I used to have a carnival in electronics, I had a Roomba running around and I would vacuum the sales floor with a Dyson to advertize it, it was the quietest vac out of all of them. My cousin ran a cleaning service and used Dysons, canister and upright, her main complaint was that the Dyson was fragile, mainly hoses would bust and latches would break in the 4 house a day termoil.

My Aunt has a Bread and Breakfast and she uses the Orik XL, light and very portable, but the loudest vacuum I everheard next to my old shop vac.

My retired father has a Dirt Devil in his little apartment that looks like a broom and has a little dirt cup on the bottom, he uses it once a week since 2006, no probs.

Bissel, I hate to beat up on them, but they have hard to clean dirt cups and tanks, they are very stylish looking, but not engineered to be in constant service, I also had 2 Bissel rung cleaners and no matter what I did they always smelled like mold, even after bleaching all the parts. On the sales floor I would never sell a Bissel to a Senior.

Ahhh, the vacuum biz.

GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
Site Team / Moderator

My mother has a couple of Orecks, and I hate them. Last time I was at her house the dog hair was so thick on the carpet that I couldn't stand it. When she went out to the store I decided to whip out her machine and clean it up real quick. The Oreck barely touched the dog hair. (Black lab, tan carpet. Poor match) The rug still looked bad, even after I cleaned it. She said she needed it because she could carry it up & down the stairs. I told her I'd give her enough Kirbys to put one on each level, but she declined. She still insists on carrying her Oreck up & down the stairs.

I saw a Roomba at a thrift the other day for $35, but it didn't power up and I was afraid it needed a new battery pack. If I saw a Roomba at an affordable price I'd consider getting one and program it to wander the main areas of the house every morning at 3AM, and then just do a thorough cleaning once or twice a month with the Kirby.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

My favorite vacuum was either the Electrolux canister I picked up at the swap meet (Foothill Drive-In, Azusa, CA -- now just a parking lot) about 30 years ago for 4 bucks and worked for me over 20 years, or the GE canister my mother had - a sphere which floated on a cushion of exhaust air. Both did a great job. Better than any upright.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Site Team / Moderator

Are you sure that was a GE? You prefectly described a Hoover Constellation vacuum.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

For no-nonsense rugged vacuums the Constellation and the upright Hoover Junior are worth their weight in gold.... buuutttt I also like the Kirby machines, though for some reason which escapes me, I keep forgetting to clean up the one I aquired that's in the garage and actually use it.. (Think it's a generation 4, the one with the tech drive)
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

Tech drive started with the G3 models.