Trump and the Auto Industry - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

Report Says Canada Creates More Garbage Per Capita Than Any Other Country In The Developed World

But somehow they use more water than us, time to flush the toilet again..

North America's population is growing in all countries and with growth there is energy and waste produced.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #12
Registered Member

At this time, it doesn't matter what breaks are given to ICE-based cars.

Steady technology advances are making electric cars more attractive every year.

When the $35k Tesla and $37k GM Bolt become available in the next couple of years, they will be the beginning of the end for ICE-based cars.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
Registered Member

"Fuel economy standards set by the Obama administration for the 2022 to 2025 model years will remain, the Environmental Protection Agency has stated."
Nah, We're Keeping our Fuel Economy Targets: EPA

Notable comments on this article:

Yep, CAFE numbers are based on the old test cycle.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

Found this table of 2014 vehicle models that includes their CAFE MPG and targets for 2016 and 2025; https://www.nap.edu/read/21744/chapter/35#436

Few of those examples missed their 2016 targets; most that did were within 1 mpg of it. Some of those traditional ICE cars met the 2025 targets, or were close. The Fusion hybrid is 66.1mpg and last generation Prius 70.6mpg for CAFE.

While it may not help fuel economy out in the real world by the way many drive, turbocharging with engine downsizing alone can get a car close to its 2016 CAFE target. Throw in direct injection, variable valve lift, and perhaps an 8 speed plus automatic, and 2025 targets are reachable.

Then cars get a boost to their CAFE value for having a simple start/stop system. Plug ins already have extremely high CAFE numbers, and each one sold counts as more than one car for determining a company's CAFE value. IIRC, it is a 1.4 to 1.7 multiplier depending of whether it is a PHEV or BEV, and its EV range. A company might not even need a plug in for CAFE if they have some desirable full hybrids to balance out their models that don't quite reach the 2025 target.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
Registered Member

Trump just signed an executive order (this bypasses Congress for those outside the US) that would cancel the Trans-Pacific partnership.

What Does The Withdrawal From TPP Mean For The U.S Auto Industry?

TL;DR - Not much, just preserves the status quo on the truck market, as the deal would have eliminated the 25% tariff on imported foreign trucks to the US.

I'm glad CAFE exists at all, because for decades the US truck market has not seen much foreign competition (besides the gas guzzling Toyotas and Nissans built and adapted for the US market) and has been lazy with regards to fuel economy and CAFE has been prodding them along to dump their traditional V8s with four speed autos for V6 turbos and such with 9-10 speed transmissions.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuts_off_prius View Post
Trump just signed an executive order (this bypasses Congress for those outside the US) that would cancel the Trans-Pacific partnership.

What Does The Withdrawal From TPP Mean For The U.S Auto Industry?

TL;DR - Not much, just preserves the status quo on the truck market, as the deal would have eliminated the 25% tariff on imported foreign trucks to the US.

I'm glad CAFE exists at all, because for decades the US truck market has not seen much foreign competition (besides the gas guzzling Toyotas and Nissans built and adapted for the US market) and has been lazy with regards to fuel economy and CAFE has been prodding them along to dump their traditional V8s with four speed autos for V6 turbos and such with 9-10 speed transmissions.
Trump has the ability to rescind ALL of Obama's Executive Orders. Obama used EOs to skirt working with Congressional approval. The democrats gave the Executive Branch those powers. Because of that, now that there's a Republican President, "the chickens are coming home to roost". If Obama had gone through congress instead of EOing himself, Trump would've had a much, much more difficult time dismantling Obama's efforts. Easy come. Easy go.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
At this time, it doesn't matter what breaks are given to ICE-based cars.

Steady technology advances are making electric cars more attractive every year.

When the $35k Tesla and $37k GM Bolt become available in the next couple of years, they will be the beginning of the end for ICE-based cars.
One of the principal reasons I bought my Mirage. It should last until the electrics take over, or I just stop driving altogether, whichever comes first. Right now I'm laughing all the way to the bank. Drove close to 200 miles today in nasty drizzle rain, almost every mile interstate or 60 mph secondary roads, higher speeds sustained. Under 4 gallons of $2 a gallon gas. Wife's 71st birthday. Left the Rogue and truck at home. She doesn't like the fact I use rain-x and leave the wipers off but following big rigs at 65-70 in heavy drizzle is just poor visibility.

52 mpg
Old 01-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #18
Registered Member

52mpg?! Nice talent.

Me, too, Gary. My 1989 Civic hatchback (world's smallest station wagon) and 2001 Miata are the last ICE cars I'll own. Next vehicle will be a pure EV, perhaps a Tesla Model 4.

Because an EV has 10x fewer moving parts than an ICE car, my first EV will likely be my last vehicle, too.

I imagine the feeling of moving from an ICE to an EV will be the same as putting one's horse to pasture in favor of early automobiles.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:49 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
Trump has the ability to rescind ALL of Obama's Executive Orders. Obama used EOs to skirt working with Congressional approval. The democrats gave the Executive Branch those powers. Because of that, now that there's a Republican President, "the chickens are coming home to roost". If Obama had gone through congress instead of EOing himself, Trump would've had a much, much more difficult time dismantling Obama's efforts. Easy come. Easy go.
The first President to issue an executive order was George Washington. The power creep of the US President is the fault of all Congresses.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #20
Registered Member

Trump wants to 'cut regulations by 75%' to boost US manufacturing.

People are saying those EPA targets may soon be on the chopping block under Trump.

Trump Says Environmentalism 'Is Out Of Control'; In Breakfast With Automaker CEOs

Ok, can this please mean we're getting more diesels? lol