VTEC-e ressurected in New Civic? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mtbiker278
VTEC-e ressurected in New Civic?

I was looking at some info about the R18 engine that's in my car. I was curious about the VTEC controller cause I've never felt the 'kick' that's usually associated with VTEC. After a little more research is found that VTEC on the R18 eninge is somewhat similar to the VTEC-e from way back when.

It's said that during idling, the VTEC will alter the valve timing to leave the intake valves open longer to reduce pumping loses. It also has a variable length intake manifold (No clue how that works),that is said to help with torque.

I'm starting to think that I would be making better mileage with the manual even if the 5th gear is taller. Between the reduced pumping losses, the injector shut-off when decceling in gear, and just the general aerodynamics of the car I don't see why it couldn't get 45mpg and above with out any mods. I think Psyshack has touched numbers around there, but I'm not sure. Maybe I should look into trading mine car in for a stick.....

mtbiker278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
*shrug*

i-vtec eliminates the kick, it's a smooth transition as it does the changes on the fly.

Anyway, what it does is leaves the valves open very very little in low load and opens the throttle plate to WOT, which reduces pumping losses 16% which not blasting the engine with air.

The variable intake manifold prolly means that it has a set of butterflies in the intake manifold to change the resonating properties of the manifold, which optimizes it for different rpm levels.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Everything SVOboy said is right on.

It's a really interesting engine to say the least. I remember reading an article about it a while back which said it delivers the power of a 2.0l engine with the fuel efficiency of a 1.6l. Pretty neat stuff.
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
Driving on E

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2005-4050705a/

Sorry for the long download, but it's a cool video. IT answers all of your questions.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mtbiker278
That video was pretty cool. It kind of makes me not want to mess with anything on the car now though. I wish there was more info on the technologies in the vehicles made now-a-days. Although I guess you average person doesn't really care about that stuff. Plus I sure the companies have all kinds of reservations with putting their designs out in the open like that.
mtbiker278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
*shrug*

Indeed, give it a few years for stuff to be uncovered. As companies try to make products to exploit how it works it will become a little more clear. The engine is a pretty darn new design, after all,
Old 06-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

you guys have to remember that psyshack has 90% highway and 10% city :P

in 100% city situation like I, the engine can truly take advantage of, if I'm not mistaken Psy loves to rip it up once in awhile so ... that's what highway does to you!
Old 06-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
*shrug*

Hush up phil.