Way OT: When was the last time you bought a new bed mattress? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

I'm going to be getting rid of my bed pretty soon to replace it with a couch so that my bedroom looks more like a studio and less like a bedroom when people come over to record. Mattresses are overrated.

Generally when I travel for my film work, I end up sleeping either on the producer's couch or someone's floor. The best I ever had it when working on a film was when I got an RV to myself and one other crew member at night, but during the day it became the makeup and wardrobe RV, which was a ***** because it meant that every morning we needed to clean up after ourselves with a hangover.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Eh, don't waste money on a mattess... there are many in this world without mattresses, and it is not fair to spend 600$ on one for yourself when so many are laying down and dying without food.
Yeah, and maybe I should donate the Geo to a charity too, because so many people are walking barefoot in this world . It's not like I'd buy the $3,000 model (although I think I *almost* fell asleep on that one immediately after laying on it in the store).

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
I'm going to be getting rid of my bed pretty soon to replace it with a couch so that my bedroom looks more like a studio and less like a bedroom when people come over to record. Mattresses are overrated.
I must admit, I've slept on some really comfortable couches. It was really tempting because there was also a super leather sale at the store too... but you know, if I buy the couch, I got to get the matching loveseat ... and chair .

Seriously, I should work as a salesperson at one of those joints.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
*shrug*

You should, but we're talking about mattresses.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:19 AM   #14
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
I know a guy that has his mattress on the floor with no bed frame. Apparently he's inspired by monks who, according to him, had to sleep within 8 inches from the ground (I guess they just layed mats down in parks or something along those lines).
No bed frame for me either. Got one with the mattress and boxspring. Too lazy to set it up. I hate stubbing my toes on the bedframe leg. Ouch! Ever try to sleep with sore toes! If I fall out of bed, I'm not that high off the floor, unlike the top bunk as a kid. Dain Bramage. LOL

I move my bed into the livingroom in the summer. Wall-mount air conditioner doesn't cool the bedroom - not without running on max while I'm at work just to make the bedroom tolerable. My apartment is electricity efficient, at least to MY wallet. I get free gas heat paid for by the landlord. $15-$20 monthly electric bills non-summer. $25 in the summer with A/C.
davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Hehe... my last bed was 20+ years old :P Then again... it was a waterbed

We spent a lot on my mattress.... Something around $1000 after tax and such for a queen. It was bought at a mattress factory type of place - where they make their mattresses on site. We were sold on their stuff mostly based on what the inside of their mattress looked like compared to their competitors (aka - the band names). They actually had other mattresses cut in half.

As for why this one was so expensive.... This thing is monstrous - it's just shy of 18 inches thick. But, it's a double sided pillow top which is great for anyone capable of flipping their mattress every 3 months. That prevents body impressions

We did save a lot on the bed though - we built it from recycled wood that a yacht was just going to throw away. And it's a platform bed - so no box spring is needed. We expect the thing to last more than 10 years (if we take care of it) - so for two people, it costs less than two pennies each per night.

Sorry for my long winded reply, but what I'm getting at is that small scale companies that you may have never heard of are nothing to be afraid of Especially when they take the time to show you how they build their product (which I guess is only good if you already know a little on how these things are done).

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #16
Registered Member

yea thast what my biglots matress is double pillow top and yes it is huge! and liek you my dad built my bed out of wood and has a solid plywood bottom so no box spring...i had one but that sat monsterously high...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:23 PM   #17
Registered Member

For Christmas the wife and I bought our selfs,

This mattress.
http://www.denvermattress.com/detail...DMMANPTQ_0.htm

This bedroom suite, less the mirror and added a extra night stand.
http://www.furniturerow.com/group_de...essions/id/50/

Also got a new table with a lot of chairs. In dark oak to match our rally old side board.
http://www.furniturerow.com/group_de...xpress/id/243/

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #18
Registered Member

anyone ever try those memory foam matresses? i layed on one once and it was weird. liek you were laying in a pool of jello and slowly sinking...but only reaosn why i layed on it was i was helping some guy move into his house and trying to move one of those heavy matresses up a flight of stairs was a PITA! its heavy and slippery... and nowhere to grab...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #19
Registered Member

Good to see some people that enjoy a good quality mattress. Nice bedroom suite too Psyshack.

I had an interesting experience at Walmart today after buying a new duvet cover and a body pillow for myself. After coming out of this store, a guy that was slightly older than me wanted my attention. I thought he was a store employee at first and so I was ready to show my receipt for my merchandise. Turns out the man was begging for money (gave me a short story of needing to get to the next province over) and I said that I had no change on me, as I only use debit. Right after that moment he mocked "'I don't have any change'... f--- off you fag".

After being stunned for a few moments, I waltzed back into the store, found security, told them what just happened, and personally saw the man being removed from the premisis. I bet he didn't expect that one coming. What a knob. Asks for money and makes hateful homophobic comments. So yeah, I felt pretty good today after that situation.

Maybe next time, I'll say something along the lines of "Actually I like my money and I don't want to give it to you". Saying that I don't have any change on me is so cliche.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
anyone ever try those memory foam matresses? i layed on one once and it was weird. liek you were laying in a pool of jello and slowly sinking...but only reaosn why i layed on it was i was helping some guy move into his house and trying to move one of those heavy matresses up a flight of stairs was a PITA! its heavy and slippery... and nowhere to grab...
They're also REALLY hot.... which is a problem for those of us that pay to cool our houses year round :/

Quote:
What a knob. Asks for money and makes hateful homophobic comments. So yeah, I felt pretty good today after that situation.
The phrase... "Beggars can't be choosers" comes to mind... Ditto for those with college lack of funditus :P Where there's free - that's where I'll be

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote