Way OT: When was the last time you bought a new bed mattress? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation Way OT: When was the last time you bought a new bed mattress?

I'm still sleeping on a twin sized mattress and captains bed (stylish, I know ) that was bought way back in 1993 when I was 8 years old. Needless to say I need a new mattress at very least.

Anyway's my dad's idea of a new matress is the $99 model (and the only model mind you) in some sketchy Wal-Mart isle . Needless to say I was not impressed with both the matress and my dad's judgement (luckily he didn't buy it).

So today I found this absolutely luxurious Sears Postur-pedic floor model marked down from $1,199 to $599 for a queen size . I mean seriously this bed is like spa caliber. The only problem is that both my mom and dad sound like it would break their hearts to spend that kind of cash on a bed when "there's a perfectly good mattress in the spare room"

OK first of all, that mattress in the spare room is the one my parents bought... in 1984! Second, it's very worn out (if I sit on the edge, the mattress's top and bottom nearly touch) and third, it's a USED mattress. Think about how much "Stuff" a person does in their bed. Now how would you feel if you slept in someone else's "Stuff"? How about your parent's "Stuff"?!? Gross.

I think a bed that is *yours* and was only yours is the only way to be. Plus sleeping luxuriously is *so important* that you don't just buy something at some econo store that sells motor oil in the next isle and hope that you won't be miserable for the next 10+ years.

Maybe it's just me? Does everyone in this world feel okay with sleeping on a wad of crappy coils equipped with dust mites eating someone else's skin? How important is a good quality mattress to you?

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

heres a creepy thought if your worried about peoples "stuff" id stay away from every hotel room youve ever been in/gone too...

but i have a $189 Biglots matress and ive had it for a year, has pillowtop and a 10 year warranty. as long as its comfy who cares where it comes from. still just as supportive as it was a year ago.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #3

Count me second. I've got a VERY nice Big Lots pillow top queen but mine cost $300. Top of the line (at least at Big Lots)

I can see paying that $ for it. I slept on a crappy captains bed for about 4 years (as an adult) and I can tell you it is night and day better. I think mine is a Sealy matress.

Start saving.....unless you got the cash and are catching grief for getting it.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

I just purchased the mattress mentioned above tonight. I would've brought it home already, but I may as well take advantage of the 'free' delivery, so it's coming next Wednesday. Time to buy a new duvet cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
heres a creepy thought if your worried about peoples "stuff" id stay away from every hotel room youve ever been in/gone too...
Yeah, but the way I see it at least I don't stay at hotel rooms for extended periods of time. I can take a couple of days of sleeping at a family member's place or at the cottage.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Supporting Member

I may have you beat Peakster, as for having a mattress the longest...
My brother, 3 years younger than me, got stackable/separable bunkbeds when I was 8, sharing a bedroom together. Eventually the folks made a bedroom, sort of, in the basement for bro. I didn't mind having bedroom upstairs to myself. Anyhow, I kept that now single, twin-size mattress and frame until I was long moved into my own apartment. At 27 I finally had enough of it. Mostly due to one of the springs poking through. Never got cut on it. Ditched it and got a $400 full-size Sealey Posturpedic mattress with matching boxspring. 19 years sleeping on a cheep, unsupportive, twinsize mattress. sheesh!

Now that I'm 34 I need a new mattress. I find myself waking up at least twice a night to roll over to relieve soreness in my shoulder when sleeping on either side. Or both shoulders sleeping on my back. I can't sleep on my stomach, at least not for long. Get sore that way too. Ugh, I'm getting old!

Oh well, 10:00pm now. Got to sign off. 5:30am comes too early.
davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Supporting Member

I take that back Peakster... You still have a mattress from 1984... that's what, (counting fingers, toes, ears, and nose) 23 years? My 19 years on the same mattress back in the days as a kid is close, but not longer than yours.

g'nite!
davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjh72 View Post
I take that back Peakster... You still have a mattress from 1984... My 19 years on the same mattress back in the days as a kid is close, but not longer than yours.
Oh no, the mattress I'm currently on was bought in 1993, so that's only 14 years. The one that my dad wanted to give me was from 1984 but I (obviously) declined. 19 years is INSANE on a youth-quality twin mattress! I bet you thought you were in heaven when you got your Sealey! That's actually the same brand I got bought today.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
I spent 2 years of my life sleeping on the floor. I now have one of my parents' old matresses, but could do without one easily if I ever had to.

I've had so many sessions of dolphin flogging in that mattress it's not even funny, in addition to years of sleeping on it naked. Never mind what my parents did to that poor mattress!

There is no secret what people do in used matresses.

When I get my own place, I'll be perfectly happy with a couch or a floor. YMMV.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
I spent 2 years of my life sleeping on the floor. I now have one of my parents' old matresses, but could do without one easily if I ever had to. When I get my own place, I'll be perfectly happy with a couch or a floor.
I know a guy that has his mattress on the floor with no bed frame. Apparently he's inspired by monks who, according to him, had to sleep within 8 inches from the ground (I guess they just layed mats down in parks or something along those lines).
Old 03-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
*shrug*

Eh, don't waste money on a mattess.

If this sounds trite to you, you don't care enough, but there are many in this world without mattresses, and it is not fair to spend 600$ on one for yourself when so many are laying down and dying without food.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote