what car to buy? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,978
Country: United States
STi and Evo Eclipsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
You can get AWD eclipses, my cousin has a 97 which prolly runs 11s by now,
Great car Ben. IMHO, they ruined the Eclipse when they shoved a V-6 in there. The 4-cylinder, Turbo is by far the benchmark -- especially in AWD form. I think they got rid of that in the late 90's, unfortunately. The DSM triplets (Mitsu Eclipse/Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser) are good platforms for some decent fun.

Honestly, if you want the best bang-for-the-buck, the WRX STi definitely has it made (the Mitsu AWD replacment sedean, the Evo has its share of problems or I could recommend it, as the 2 cars are so identical in performance). Subaru really pumps a lot of paola into racing teams worldwide to make the "scene" and improve design. Of course, it's a street-legal racecar, so a used is probably abused.

So, (not)Jared, what kind of vehicle are you looking for? A hatch, sedan, roadster...???

RH77
__________________

__________________
rh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #12
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
car accident? I thought it was stolen. My memory is shot.
__________________

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
|V3|2D
 
thisisntjared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,186
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
It has the same engine as the WRX STi without the turbo
that is why i want the 02+
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
The Audi A4 V6 is pretty heavy, has about the same amount of power as the Impreza RS, and gets substantially worse mileage.
i wouldnt get the v6, i would get the 1.8t which does get 3 mpg better than the wrx across the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I'd avoid the Mitsubishi Evo (from experience)
i will never own a dsm, i have friends that had them....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
The Impreza RS is a great choice -- I've seen many beat to a pulp at Rally-Cross or even Autocross and they keep going. WRX is a fun choice. Bear in mind you'll have 15-18% loss in FE compared to FWD/RWD, and Scoob repair costs are slightly higher than routine imports (except for some Toyotas).
15-18% is an exadgeration. there a couple examples out there where the fwd version of the car only gets 1-2mpg better than the awd version. i understand your point, but i am tired of fwd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Avoid the Volkswagen 4-Motion or Audi Quattro (reliability).

With RWD you may go for an old Mercedes or BMW -- but again, reliability and cost of repair.

Another good choice is the Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe AWD. Better FE, Toyota reliability, domestic manufacture.

If you're looking for a roadster, the Miata is efficient and bulletproof.
i havent heard of any issues with audis quattro.. i have a bunch of friends with 00-01 s4s. i thought about a 90s bmw but they are hard to find. benzes are too fat. i didnt know the matrix came in awd though. i was really considering the mazda, but i dont know again there too... they are great autoxers but are pretty slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
car accident? I thought it was stolen. My memory is shot.
it got stolen, then recovered, then they tried again and failed, then the accident.

OK so here is an update from the wife's specifications:
she prefers i have an awd car because she is worried that rwd sucks in the snow. also i bet i didnt specify before, but i will never own an automatic car.
__________________
don't waste your time or time will waste you
thisisntjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
 
VetteOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,546
Country: United States
omg, rwd owns in the snow. if you accually know how to drive it doesnt matter if you have rwd/fwd/or awd. i own a rwd s-10 5speed. sure you spin the tires a tad and rwd does fishtail more than fwd but if you go slow it wont. its also easier to correct if the rear end does slide out. (again if you know how to drive this becomes second nature) i have never gotten stuck in either my truck or my chevette and we get some large ammounts of snow.
i always find it funny (around here anyways) that people with awd or 4X4 always seem to be in the ditch more. I think this is because they get over confident that they think since they have 4wd that they can speed around cornners, think they can stop on a dime, go 60mph on snowpacked unplowed highways.

lol sorry for my rant but im tired of people saying they NEED awd or 4X4 to get thru snow...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_brick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 162
Country: United States
Let me make this very clear: YOU DO NOT WANT AN AUDI! Those things are an electrical disaster in progress. The Subaru would be a much better choice but you can't expect a whole lot of FE out of it. AWD isn't necessary if you have a good set of snow tires. FWD will do just fine.

You already know Hondas pretty well. You can buy a 6th gen Accord for ~9k with a 4-cylinder and a 5-speed manual. Run the living hell out of it if you want or, even better, take it easy and enjoy FE just as good or better than the Fit. That's my vote.
__________________
'07 Toyota Prius
GasSavers_brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
BumblingB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 341
Country: United States
Location: NW Florida
I agree with rh77 on the Matrix/Vibe but just stick with the Matrix and look for an XRS AWD, not too easy to find but I think the fun factor/reliability may be what you're looking for PLUS it's just so practical.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #17
|V3|2D
 
thisisntjared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,186
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick View Post
Let me make this very clear: YOU DO NOT WANT AN AUDI! Those things are an electrical disaster in progress. The Subaru would be a much better choice but you can't expect a whole lot of FE out of it. AWD isn't necessary if you have a good set of snow tires. FWD will do just fine.

You already know Hondas pretty well. You can buy a 6th gen Accord for ~9k with a 4-cylinder and a 5-speed manual. Run the living hell out of it if you want or, even better, take it easy and enjoy FE just as good or better than the Fit. That's my vote.
i am really done with fwd. i am tired of not being able to cut a 60ft less than 2.1 the whole safety issue is with my wife for awd over rwd. i definitely dont want an accord. if i were to stay with fwd i would get another civic. i have heard rumors of the newer audis and vws having electrical problems but i have never seen a case in point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
omg, rwd owns in the snow. if you accually know how to drive it doesnt matter if you have rwd/fwd/or awd. i own a rwd s-10 5speed. sure you spin the tires a tad and rwd does fishtail more than fwd but if you go slow it wont. its also easier to correct if the rear end does slide out. (again if you know how to drive this becomes second nature) i have never gotten stuck in either my truck or my chevette and we get some large ammounts of snow.
i always find it funny (around here anyways) that people with awd or 4X4 always seem to be in the ditch more. I think this is because they get over confident that they think since they have 4wd that they can speed around cornners, think they can stop on a dime, go 60mph on snowpacked unplowed highways.

lol sorry for my rant but im tired of people saying they NEED awd or 4X4 to get thru snow...
i understand that what your saying, but with the kind of car i would be getting, she would be right, it would have to love to oversteer. i admit i only know fwd in the snow, but i know i could learn. in any case, you would have to convice my wife. if i found a deal on a sporty rwd car i would pick it up and not care what she thinks. right now i am exploring my options and waiting to find a killer deal before i spend.
__________________
don't waste your time or time will waste you
thisisntjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #18
Registered Member
 
omgwtfbyobbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,516
Country: United States
What about a MR2? FWD cars can have o.k. 0-60ft times, but the lsd/suspension need to be set up properly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,978
Country: United States
CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
i have heard rumors of the newer audis and vws having electrical problems but i have never seen a case in point
Check Consumer Reports under the "Electrical" Category of individual models within the last 5 years.
__________________
rh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
|V3|2D
 
thisisntjared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,186
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
What about a MR2? FWD cars can have o.k. 0-60ft times, but the lsd/suspension need to be set up properly.
yea, but between all types of drivetrains that are the worst for the launch. i want 1.7 and 1.8 not 2.0+. i have thought about the mr2, it seems like a strong possibility like the miata. if i find a killer deal i think i would like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Check Consumer Reports under the "Electrical" Category of individual models within the last 5 years.
I understand and have read the same thing. I want to know what exactly goes wrong. I am not doubting, I just want more understanding.
__________________

__________________
don't waste your time or time will waste you
thisisntjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuelly Android App - eehokie Fuelly Web Support and Community News 2 07-14-2010 09:59 PM
VW Jetta fast riser coolbreeze General Fuel Topics 5 07-22-2009 12:25 AM
DIY: Wire Tuck!!! SVOboy Experiments, Modifications and DIY 11 09-21-2006 05:17 AM
Condensator orevgym General Fuel Topics 0 07-23-2006 11:25 AM
Modifying exhaust to increase mileage? Matt Timion General Fuel Topics 15 01-07-2006 08:44 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.