what car to buy? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #31
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
That's right -- there are WRX "Wagons" -- a bit heavier, but more functional. They race well too, with the additional weight in the rear...
hmm i never thought of that. i would definitely prefer the wagon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
Like I mentioned before, look into the Matrix XRS, a different drivetrain. Drawback - you have to run premium (like the WRX) BUT it's the little pocket rocket you're looking for with cabaility of MUCHO better mileage than the WRX wagon. WRX wagon is faster - but that Vibe is a dog compared to the XRS (UNLESS you looked at a Vibe GT). You'll get the 6 speed with the XRS too compared to the 5 speed in the Suburu. Still, that Suburu is one bad looking car while the XRS looks like the regular Matrix - more of a sleeper. Good one to pull a fast one on the wife like the Neon SRT4 and the old SE-R Sentra. Looks like you're getting a regular car.
my wife doesnt care if its a normal car or not, she just cares if i am putting money into it after i buy it. to her if i am spending money on repairing a car OR making it more fun the car then becomes a 'money pit' to her.

i did look into the vibe/matrix and i am only interested in all wheel drive version, which is pretty underpowered. if i were to get a fwd car i would stick to what i know: civics and integras.
Quote:
There's still the option of the non-Turbo Impreza 'RS' version that's available in Wagon form. This year they're calling it the 2.5i.

But -- I can say the Matrix xRS AWD is a good drive, smaller, and potentially better FE.

I can tell you from experience that a turbo is hard to control at cruise without an additional boost controller, and consequently sucks down the fuel. In addition, to have the turbo last beyond 100K miles, monitoring of oil temp and proper cool-down is necessary or the hot turbo bearings can be damaged by stationary oil that burns into them (so if you can't properly cool it down, 30-seconds to a minute of idling is necessary to cool both the turbo and oil -- enter the "Turbo-Timer").

My recommendation for maximum FE is to go non-turbo. Plenty of HP can be extracted from the flat-4, 2.5L without forced induction, and still retain a decent FE. Also, turbo replacement wont be a problem after a few years.

The xRS is all-motor, right?

RH77
i am pretty sure i want a turbo car this time around and yes, from the brief research i have done the toyota matrix xRS is all motor and front wheel drive. if they offered 170hp with awd i would reconsider. however, their awd system seems to be designed for safety, much like hondas awd system in the crv, and not for a crisp launch and heavy throttle exits from turns at the track.

i have a strong feeling i will be able to get much better percentage gains from the wrx than i would from the toyota. it almost seems like subaru doesnt care about fuel economy, they seem to have the worst mpg ratings with all their cars across all classes. but man that wrx is a fun car...

i am really not worried about controlling the turbo and also am not worried about getting a turbo timer. if the turbo goes, i will just get a bigger one, which will be faster AND easier to control since it 'should' spool slower.
Quote:
(sorry for the diversion [not] Jared)
thats fine

Old 04-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #32
*shrug*

Don't kill yourself with that wagon.

I happen to think the WRX wagons are a lot prettier than the sedans. La la la.

We should hang out sometime, but Iono when I'll be back in da jerz for any worthwhile chunk of time.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #33
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
We should hang out sometime, but Iono when I'll be back in da jerz for any worthwhile chunk of time.
spring break?? i am playing the bachelor for the next week
Old 04-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #34
*shrug*

Spring break was way past ago. You're free to visit me up here though.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote