What I found in the junkyard today... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

What I found in the junkyard today...

I was walking through the local pick-and-pull here, looking for either a transmission for the Cad or an engine for the '98 Ford Windstar I picked up a couple months back. (The Windstar I picked up for $350, running but with a knock...turns out it had a V-5 engine...#1 piston moved freely about the cylinder...the connecting rod had twisted off...but that's another story).

Anyway, just inside the gate they have a few cars which are complete and after a fashion, running. Today, one of these cars was a nice, shiny, pretty blue '93 Geo Metro, for which they were asking $899. I looked at it, it looked pretty nice. Then I saw the mileage (6 digit odometer)...570k+ miles! And it looked like it had quite a few miles left in it! It does, however, have a spiderwebbed windshield.

No, I wasn't planning on getting it...don't have the money...

I remember when the Chevy Sprint came out in '85...my dad thought I should have bought one new...wish I'd known then just how sturdy of a car they are!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
(The Windstar I picked up for $350, running but with a knock...turns out it had a V-5 engine...#1 piston moved freely about the cylinder...the connecting rod had twisted off...but that's another story).
well, i NEVER digress , but that's ok.

nice find. too bad you couldn't afford it, then drive it or fix it up and sell for a profit. can't help it, we conservatives are born w/ that desire to profit. but alas, i digress--oops!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
well, i NEVER digress , but that's ok.

nice find. too bad you couldn't afford it, then drive it or fix it up and sell for a profit. can't help it, we conservatives are born w/ that desire to profit. but alas, i digress--oops!
Ain't nuthin' wrong with makin' a profit...though, with that many miles, I doubt I'd be able make a profit...it'd just be fun to have that many miles on the clock (Metros are just so easy to fix if something goes wrong...)

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

and a rival to honda(in regard to FE)...http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/14
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Unless the frame rots out like mine did then it is a lot of work. I really don't mind my xB with the extra room AC CD player and 46mpg . . . I don't look forward to replacing the front tires this year however - a bit more pricy than the 12 inch Geo tires.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

have you rotated your tires?
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
No I never rotated them - THEY recomment every 5000 miles - the reason is the rear both got holes in them by a nail and a 1/4 20 bolt complete with washer and I would rather keep them in the rear. The wear is just about perfect due to the higher than recommended pressure (40-42) and they all are cracking on the sidewalls anyway after almost 5 years so ... front ones before the winter is here for sure and maybe before the summer is over if I drive a lot or there is a lot of rain. Looking to put some slightly larger diameter ones in the front to correct the speedo error and to lower the engine RPM a little.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Unless the frame rots out like mine did then it is a lot of work. I really don't mind my xB with the extra room AC CD player and 46mpg . . . I don't look forward to replacing the front tires this year however - a bit more pricy than the 12 inch Geo tires.
I dunno...last time I bought tires, (a month or two ago) the cheap Chinese Kuhmo tires listed for almost $50 apiece. That's when you can find them. I got a prorated price on mine because one was defective. I'm planning on converting to at least 13" tires...Michelins are not much more at Costco.