What One Charge Driving Range Would Get You To Strongly Consider an EV? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
What One Charge Driving Range Would Get You To Strongly Consider an EV?

200 miles on a single charge is mentioned as the driving range when many more people will start considering buying an EV.

I feel a 250-275 mile driving range on a single charge would be the sweet spot for me.

The furthest I might drive is Los Angles, which, in round numbers, is 400 miles from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Lithium batteries are happiest at an 80% charge. Half way to LA is 200 miles. 250 miles x 80% is 200. It would be reasonable to stop for 30 minutes midway to LA. That's how I arrived at 250 miles on a single charge would be my minimum. We're ALMOST there! With battery density improving reliably at 7% annually, I'd guess we're about 3 years away from that 250 mile EV.

So, what single charge driving range is good for you AND how did you arrive at that number?
__________________

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,264
Country: United States
Location: up nawth
200 would work fine for me but my current 100k miles cost per mile is 20 cents @ mile.
I did the math before I got my Mirage and the higher property taxes and insurance on a Leaf selling for 20k would be more than my total fuel cost. At the current rate my fuel cost per 100k miles is $3500.
That does not even consider the cost of any replacement battery.
Total cost of ownership is my most basic criteria.
__________________

__________________
R.I.D.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
200 would work fine for me but my current 100k miles cost per mile is 20 cents @ mile.
I did the math before I got my Mirage and the higher property taxes and insurance on a Leaf selling for 20k would be more than my total fuel cost. At the current rate my fuel cost per 100k miles is $3500.
That does not even consider the cost of any replacement battery.
Total cost of ownership is my most basic criteria.
How do you calculate your cost of ownership, Gary?
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,264
Country: United States
Location: up nawth
12.9 CPM for 100k miles purchase price including taxes and fees (total OTD)
3.5 cpm current fuel
3.6 cpm tags, property taxes, maintenance (do the labor myself)

That's figuring the residual value of the car at $0. Any residual value above that reduces the 3.6 cpm calculation listed above.
__________________
R.I.D.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,761
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Mid Wales
Coming from a car with 700-800 mile range, I'd definitely consider a 250-300 mile range EV. Had a spin in my friends Nissan leaf based van earlier today, she loves it, charges it at home in 3-4 hours. Only gets 70-90 miles per charge, but it's enough for an everyday commute to work etc. It's saving her litterly thousands a year.

The gti may be my last fossil fueled vehicle, I'm not sure yet, but in 3-5 years, I'm sure an EV will be an attractive buy, so long as performance is decent enough.
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,761
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Mid Wales
Took a picture of where the engine used to go in the "olden days" for you guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0238.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	2320  
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Paul, if you suspect a low car battery, just like testing a 9 volt battery, try the tongue test.
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 169
Country: Canada
Location: Oakville, Ontario
For me, it's not just the "range anxiety." It's the total package, with all things considered. Some of the factors that I considered included:
  • Exterior and interior styling
  • Luxury
  • Form factor (e.g., SUV)
  • AWD
  • Features (e.g., I love keyless entry & start)
  • Acceleration
  • Initial purchase price
  • Fuel cost per mile (I consider amortized EV/Hyrbid battery life and cost in this)
  • Total cost of ownership
All things considered, I'm driving a 2015 Audi Q5 with 3.0L diesel. At the time, nothing else compared closely enough. I even considered the Q5 hybrid and declined, finding the diesel a better value.
__________________

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
LDB
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston suburb
Posts: 441
Country: United States
Location: Houston suburb
I'd want 500 miles so that 80% would give me the 400 miles I'd need to go visit my daughter without having to charge along the way. Probably not too likely.
__________________
2018 Accord Hybrid Champagne/Ivory

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,761
Country: United Kingdom
Location: Mid Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
For me, it's not just the "range anxiety." It's the total package, with all things considered. Some of the factors that I considered included:
  • Exterior and interior styling
  • Luxury
  • Form factor (e.g., SUV)
  • AWD
  • Features (e.g., I love keyless entry & start)
  • Acceleration
  • Initial purchase price
  • Fuel cost per mile (I consider amortized EV/Hyrbid battery life and cost in this)
  • Total cost of ownership
All things considered, I'm driving a 2015 Audi Q5 with 3.0L diesel. At the time, nothing else compared closely enough. I even considered the Q5 hybrid and declined, finding the diesel a better value.
Tesla Model X would be perfect then, ticks all those and more. But the price....im assuming it's at least double/triple that of the Audi no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I'd want 500 miles so that 80% would give me the 400 miles I'd need to go visit my daughter without having to charge along the way. Probably not too likely.
2 x 200 mile stints with a coffee/pee break in the middle? Would that work? A lot of the EV's coming out this year have around a 200 mile range.
__________________

Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Fuelly Android Apps
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.