What type of data would you like with the gaslog? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
Driving on E

What type of data would you like with the gaslog?

I'm able to do charts, graphs, reports, etc. using the data in the gaslog. What would you like? A bar graph of some sorts? Perhaps a line graph showing the variation of your fillups?

Maybe a cool graphic (which displays your MPG reading) that you can use as a signature in other forums?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
*shrug*

I think the best thing for

I think the best thing for the gas log would be a little line graph that shows the ups and downs of our mileage.

You could also do something where we could create modifications and then log gas mileage under different mods also (sorta like the cars and garage).

Also, we don't have enough info yet for a sitewide gas log to compare different models of cars, but mehbe something to could graph the site's gas mileage as a whole on the main gas log page.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

Re: What type of data would you like with the gaslog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I'm able to do charts, graphs, reports, etc. using the data in the gaslog. What would you like? A bar graph of some sorts? Perhaps a line graph showing the variation of your fillups?

Maybe a cool graphic (which displays your MPG reading) that you can use as a signature in other forums?
I guess what I would like to see is more info on the big things that effect mileage. Ave temperature, speed, city or highway driving. That way you could graph mileage/temp, mileage/speed, city mileage and highway mileage. The mileage database at Greenhybrid used to plot mileage/month. It would average your mileage for each month and plot it. You would see the winter dip and the summer spike in mileage. They don't do that any more because after a year of data, the graphs would get messed up. The mileage sig is a nice idea.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Driving on E

Re: What type of data would you like with the gaslog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I guess what I would like to see is more info on the big things that effect mileage. Ave temperature, speed, city or highway driving. That way you could graph mileage/temp, mileage/speed, city mileage and highway mileage. The mileage database at Greenhybrid used to plot mileage/month. It would average your mileage for each month and plot it. You would see the winter dip and the summer spike in mileage. They don't do that any more because after a year of data, the graphs would get messed up. The mileage sig is a nice idea.
I can easily add a few extra variables, which we can later make graphs out of. Perhaps I'll do this right now.

I think though that we can do the monthly linegraph too.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

for driving type, i'd like

for driving type, i'd like that to be a table field required for each entry - eg: city; hwy; mixed.

we could then view averages based on driving type if desired, which is more useful for all kinds of reasons: for our own information; for comparison; and competition!.

some of us do more of one type of driving than others, which makes comparisons difficult if we're only able to view the cumulative calculation as an end point.

see http://metrompg.com/details.htm (orange box, top left) for the stats i track.

and.. while i'm making my wish list i'd love it if you incorporated optional e-mail notification when forum threads are updated. even if you just started out with a generic one that informed of ANY thread update. (man, don't you just hate "feature creep" - damn clients!)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

one more idea: would be good

one more idea: would be good to be able to incorporate the EPA/NRCan ratings for each vehicle to be able to view each driver's hypermileage status (the statement refers to exceeding the ratings, doesn't it dan?)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
additions

Maybe a delete option for an entry
Brand of gas
Shorter headings before you run out of room across the screen
i.e. (MPG) (TRIP) Acetone (ACE) Torco (BIP) additives amounts oz/cc
fillup - 1 click etc Temp Day/Night

Most can be put in the notes field already.
I take it we don't bother tracking the cost of the fillup.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #8
Driving on E

Re: for driving type, i'd like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
for driving type, i'd like that to be a table field required for each entry - eg: city; hwy; mixed.

we could then view averages based on driving type if desired, which is more useful for all kinds of reasons: for our own information; for comparison; and competition!.

some of us do more of one type of driving than others, which makes comparisons difficult if we're only able to view the cumulative calculation as an end point.

see http://metrompg.com/details.htm (orange box, top left) for the stats i track.

and.. while i'm making my wish list i'd love it if you incorporated optional e-mail notification when forum threads are updated. even if you just started out with a generic one that informed of ANY thread update. (man, don't you just hate "feature creep" - damn clients!)
I was thinking of this, and I thought a good solution might be something like the following:

Percentage Hwy:
Percentage City:

The problem with this, however, is assuming the person is capable of accurately estimating percentages. I could just do a dropdown box of "city, highway, mixed" as well.

The email notification is something I would like to do as well. I'm planning on re-writing the entire forum module this spring, which will have this feature. The existing forum architecture is poorly written and organized, so I figure I could re-write it and add all of ths stuff I've always wanted.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
Driving on E

I should have a delete

I should have a delete option for an entry. I'll do that soon as well.

Brand of gas would be good, except there might be one problem. Would the brand of gas be for the current fill up, or the previous one? If it's for the current fill up, the brand of gas will affect the NEXT entry's gas mileage.

For additives I'd like to leave it as generic as possible. I might be able to create an additive feature that allows you to enter the name of the additive and then the amount, up to give additives per tank.

As for the cost of gas, SVOBoy mentioned this recently, and I think it's not a bad idea. This would be an easy addition, and could be for fun comparison. This would also allow us to figure price per mile, or miles per dollar.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
*shrug*

I also mentioned months ago

I also mentioned months ago about the reply notification feature!

What do you think about my idea for classifying tanks by modification though or what that get too complicated eventually to make sense?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote