When Level 5 Autonomous Cars are Gov't Approved, I Predict... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

When Level 5 Autonomous Cars are Gov't Approved, I Predict...

...the Ford Automobile Company will be producing purpose-built, city taxis.

These will be 2 and 4 seater versions of these small autonomous vehicles. The 4 seater versions will have two rows that face each other to allow passenger interaction/conversation.

These purpose-built, mini-cars will be simple, no-frills vehicles and have a relatively short range (just enough for a half day's taxi run) and will, of course, will automatically find their way "home" to recharge.

These Ford taxis will be the beginning of the end of the public bus transit system, which is heavily subsidized.

Ford recently declared themselves to no longer being a car company. They have "retooled" their business model and now call themselves a "mobility company".

To that goal, Ford bicycle rental stands (subscription model) have recently popped up all over my city. In just a couple of weeks, I have seen people using Ford's "mobility service" in what I feel is a surprisingly fast adoption rate.

The future will arrive faster than you may have thought.

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

And along with Ford you will Have Google's Mobility Solutions (I should trademark that name!). And never mind Level 5. Level 4 will be sufficient to provide services in a city or other conurbation.
I just finished reading "Driverless Car Revolution: Buy Mobility, Not Metal" by Rutt Bridges .
Fascinating reading, and even a little frightening.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
And along with Ford you will Have Google's Mobility Solutions (I should trademark that name!). And never mind Level 5. Level 4 will be sufficient to provide services in a city or other conurbation.
I just finished reading "Driverless Car Revolution: Buy Mobility, Not Metal" by Rutt Bridges .
Fascinating reading, and even a little frightening.
What did you find scary about the book, JockoT?
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

The ramifications for jobs, economies, world power balance and the like. Garages, car sales, insurance brokers, accident lawyers who will be out of work. Countries who currently depend on the production and sale of petroleum products (look what is happening in Venezuela at the moment). Russia is dependant on sales of oil and gas to keep their economy afloat. What happens when we no longer need their oil? Then there is the middle east. A lot of problems that will need solving.