Why don't we see more SUVs in the GasSavers garage? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #21
ELF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike View Post
Thats the point i'm trying to make. you can get a geo metro or a civic vx and get twice the mileage your car gets too. It's all about getting the most you can from whatever your driving

I am in the process of buying a geo prizm MT right now, so I can get twice the mileage

My point is this... much better to park the suv and find something else to drive that gets good mpg. Then use the suv only when you need it.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #22
ELF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
0.6 GPH is very surprising for me. When I drove my dad's '99 Intrepid, it idled around 0.8 GPH and it's a 2.7L engine (granted it was well below freezing .
That does not seem right, My 3.0 v6 Idles at 0.4 in gear and 0.3 in neutral, thats when Its really cold, when warm it will drop to 0.2 in neutral.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by white90crxhf View Post
i plan on buying one once the 3rd kid comes along and yes it will be a honda pilot.
why??? I meen... WHY???
vehicles like 4 door TDI gulf's are 5 passenger vehicles, and they are much much easier to get in and out of (unless all 3 of your kids are way over 6 feet tall with bad knees) if you want to have more room get the TDI jetta, or passat wagon, but I grew up ridding in the back of a 4 door VW rabbit, 5 of us fit just fine, with the whole family going on weekend trips with food and camping gear, with a roof rack we were even able to haul a Wind Charger wind generator, and tower, with all 5 of us comfertably fitting in the car, fold the rear seat down, and we've fit 4 new windows for the house.
Compared to a compact car with a hatch back, SUV's are unuseable peices of junk.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
why??? I meen... WHY???
Why not? The Honda Pilot is a very nice vehicle (my aunt that has 2 children all grown up owns one & she loves it) It has much more room, luxury, and power than their previous CRV. The pilot has really good crash test results, has 4x4 for Virgina winters, and the EPA is 17mpg city / 22mpg highway / 19mpg combined.

If white90crxhf bought a Dodge Caravan instead, there would be no 4x4 available as an option and even the smallest engine size (2.4L 4 cylinder) only gets EPA 20mpg city / 26mpg highway / 22mpg combined. That's only a 15.7% increase for a van that will most certainly be gutless with that 4 banger. I'd say spend the extra $400 a year in gas money (assuming you drive a hefty 25,000 miles a year) and get something that will suit your taste, white90crxhf.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #25
Tuggin at the surly bonds

I'm pretty much with theclencher regarding SUVs.

Unfortunately though, I'd never get 3 child seats (req'd where I live) across the back seat of a Golf, and forget about a third row. A compact minivan might work if I had 3 kids, and give better FE than a large truck.

But here's my problem: when I risk my life in a subcompact on American roads, that's a personal decision. I'm making a very different decision if I ask my family to sit in the back row of a smaller car (especially as I drive slower than the traffic). I don't like it, but I still have to draw that line. I put crashworthiness before mere mass. I also think it's just bad engineering to move a road-going vehicle's sprung weight (and its corresponding CG) up higher than it has to be. That moves most SUVs off my radar.
YMMV.

...and all that conspicuous gas consumption is just not my style.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #26
Supporting Member

Peakster -

If you need 4x4, then don't forget to give Subaru a chance. Better Center Of Gravity and all that.

Here's the Legacy :
MPG : Automatic: 23/30 mpg

Here's the Forester :
MPG: (manual) 22 city / 29 highway
(automatic) 23 city / 28 highway

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #27
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
4 x 4... Here I am in the frozen North, the land of ice and snow, and I have yet to get stuck with my lowered, FWD Tempo with the one-legger diff and half worn-out regular ol' tires on it. Who the hell needs 4wd to get down the road???

I suppose it's an asset in N.Y. with their 12 feet of snow but that doesn't happen too often.
Besides towing a Winnabago up an icy slope, the other use for 4WD is getting yourself out of a ditch.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #28
Registered Member

Too true! My Uncle commented when he first saw the 1964 International Harvester Scout I had just acquired: "Four wheel drive? You'll still get stuck, but will have to walk back twice as far to get help."
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
If you need 4x4, then don't forget to give Subaru a chance.
Here's the Forester :
MPG: (manual) 22 city / 29 highway
(automatic) 23 city / 28 highway

CarloSW2
Wow! I had no idea that the Forester got that good of fuel economy.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #30
*shrug*

I thought the forester was worst in class for FE?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote