Why don't we see more SUVs in the GasSavers garage? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question Why don't we see more SUVs in the GasSavers garage?

According to a recent poll on www.gasbuddy.com, 20% of nearly 17,000 voters claimed that their primary vehicle was an SUV.

Clearly, SUV owners on that website are concerned about the price of gasoline, so why don't we see that same trend on this site Are people afraid of keeping a gaslog of their Suburban, Expedition, or Durango? I'd love to see someone Engine Off Coast with a Hummer.

I just think that it's odd that mostly compact car owners are drawn to this website. What do other GS members think?

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
FE nut

Quote:
Clearly, SUV owners on that website are concerned about the price of gasoline, so why don't we see that same trend on this site
I think that the problem is that they aren't really interested in saving fuel; just the cost of it?

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
I think that the problem is that they aren't really interested in saving fuel; just the cost of it?
That could possibly be part of it, however I don't think all SUV owners feel that way. I think some would feel pretty good if they got 20% or more than EPA. If the Geo got squashed by a garbage truck and I only had the Chevy truck to drive, I'd still hypermile it.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
I just think that it's odd that mostly compact car owners are drawn to this website. What do other GS members think?
Maybe cause most people feel that only compact cars can get good fuel mileage. One of the first things people see when coming here is the Top Ten list and see the cars getting 50,60 and 70 mpg and think it only about the cars that get great fuel mileage. there's other fuel mileage sites that i have found that are mostly hybred owners.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike View Post
Maybe cause most people feel that only compact cars can get good fuel mileage. One of the first things people see when coming here is the Top Ten list and see the cars getting 50,60 and 70 mpg and think it only about the cars that get great fuel mileage.
That is a very good point. I remember discovering this site back in September thinking that I would have this place cased with my 3 cylinder Metro. I was shocked when I saw the list of the top-10-vehicles. I believe MetroMPG had MPG numbers in the high 70s back then and the lowest was just above 50 mpg.

I think the top-10-vehicles (percent EPA) is real interesting. Someone might look at my 45mpg average and think that's pretty good but it's less than the rated fuel efficiency of my car. I think it's much cooler if I saw a gaslog for a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 25mpg average. That would be an impressive 47% above EPA. A Jeep would also probably be easier to hypermile than a Metro as EOCs would be more effective to MPG and there are lots of potential improvements to aerodynamics, etc.

I guess I just really want to encourage more vehicle diversity on this site.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
ELF
Registered Member

Most people don't care about mpg. they only care about the price of gas. Trying to hypermile a big truck or suv is kind of a waste. I have tried, ya you can get a few more mpg but its pretty discouraging when you try really hard and your mpg goes from 12 to 14. Big deal, its just not worth the effort. I got a car instead it gets twice the mpg without even trying.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELF View Post
Most people don't care about mpg. they only care about the price of gas. Trying to hypermile a big truck or suv is kind of a waste. I have tried, ya you can get a few more mpg but its pretty discouraging when you try really hard and your mpg goes from 12 to 14. Big deal, its just not worth the effort. I got a car instead it gets twice the mpg without even trying.
Thats the point i'm trying to make. you can get a geo metro or a civic vx and get twice the mileage your car gets too. It's all about getting the most you can from whatever your driving

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I would want to encourage more intelligent vehicle choice making, so unless the motorist is slogging up a snow-covered mountain with 3+ friends and a trailer full of gear every day I'd say what the h*** does anyone want with an SUV???
Excellent as usual.....I could not say it better!
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike View Post
Thats the point i'm trying to make. you can get a geo metro or a civic vx and get twice the mileage your car gets too. It's all about getting the most you can from whatever your driving
I agree! As the saying goes, "You are either green and growing or you are ripe and rotting."

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELF View Post
I'd kill for a consistent 2 MPG increase