Why is car insurance so expensive in the US? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016Versa View Post
Most companies will accept monthly payments but it just makes the rate higher. I always pay 6 months at a time to save on total cost. How do you pay? Monthly, quarterly, annually?
Most people make a one off payment annually, although there is an option to pay monthly but overall it costs more, which is very unfair because if you chose to do this you obviously can't afford it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
I paid £285.60 ($350) for a year's fully comprehensive insurance including protected no-claims bonus. This is for 12,000 miles and no excess. I normally just pay upfront but I have taken monthly payments when there has been no additional service charge.
Yea unfortunately after the age of 55 in the UK, your insurance will gradually increase year on year as statistically your are more likely to be involved in an accident, even if you have the cleanest of records..

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Yea unfortunately after the age of 55 in the UK, your insurance will gradually increase year on year
My insurance didn't start to go up until I reached 65 years of age but the real hike was at 70 when I had to re-apply for my license despite me taking an IAM Road Smart test. I wanted to see what an examiner made of my driving.
I originally passed my test in 1967 then sat and passed my PCV license (buses and coaches) in June 2006.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #13
Registered Member

Yea appreciate that, you can still be a good driver at a mature age, but regardless, hearing and sight will have deteriorated somewhat and the chance of having a medical condition are higher, just small circumstances that insurers will consider. I remember a lady in her 70's almost causing a huge accident, she was following me in a 30 zone and I spotted a speeding ambulance about a mile back. As it approached I indicated left and slowed down, she some how "missed" the giant fluorescent yellow speeding vehicle with intensely bright blue lights and ear piercing sirens and pulled out around me right into the path of the ambulance who came about half a foot from totaling her car. Just hope she was reported.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

4 vehicles insured, 2 full coverage including collision, 2 liability and comprehensive (no collision) cost us under $1500 annually in Illinois.

Kevin

Kuripot_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote