wife needs a newer car - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Test drive an 05 or 06 Chevy Malibu. With the four cylinder ecotec they do 24/34mpg $9,500

Rick did a great review on them. And they are really really cheap. In fact you will find these cheaper than the 05 focus.

The Aveo is cheaper...but...its an Aveo. I dunno

The Chevy Cavalier is an option too, and an 05 with 45k lists at 10k BUT it gets worse "end user" reviews than the Malibu.

Or you could go all out and find a VW Jetta TDI, but I'm sure they are like $4000 more...and rare

Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #22
Supporting Member

I vote for the Saturn S series. I recently saw an 02 5 speed sl1 with 70k for $3100. The automatics are easier to find. Sorry I couldn't rationalize spending 15k on a car.

My little brother just bought and 02 maxima black on black 6spd w77k for $11.5. He's averaging 28mpg so far. Its a genuinely quick car.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
I vote for the Saturn S series. I recently saw an 02 5 speed sl1 with 70k for $3100. The automatics are easier to find. Sorry I couldn't rationalize spending 15k on a car.

My little brother just bought and 02 maxima black on black 6spd w77k for $11.5. He's averaging 28mpg so far. Its a genuinely quick car.
OOh I could use the 5 spd saturn, that seems like a pretty good buy. Yeah, I don't think it makes much sense to spend that much either and I hope I don't have to. I drive a $250 metro , i usually spend more on the wife's car so she has something with low miles and newer so it will hopefully have fewer problems.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #24
Registered Member

There's still plenty of social inertia when it comes to the division of roles the genders feel they should ascribe to. Imo anyway.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
As it hasn't been mentioned yet... A Mark IV VW TDI
These numbers are for the MT tranny though...
Jetta: 36/41
Beetle: 37/44
Golf: 37/44

All of those are on Edmunds top 10 FE cars for 2006 - the only things beating them being hybrids. VW is not selling TDI's in N. America anymore though :/

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...7/article.html

Despite what everyone warned me about... I've yet to have a check engine light after 20K miles on my 2L Jetta (odometer is right around 111K miles).

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #26

Do you want the same size as a Taurus?

If yes:
03-up low mileage used Accord or Camry

If you can go smaller then go for a low mileage:
03-up Corolla
03-up Civic

Drive it into the ground AND still sell it for decent money later - especially the Civic. If you don't care about that and plan on keeping it forever.....I'd second the Saturn idea as well as the super late model Malibu. The Malibu seems to depreciate 40% the moment it rounds the corner from the dealership when bought new. I HUGE plus for someone looking for a decent low-budget used car.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #27
Supporting Member

jwxr7 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
I actually was hoping to see an 04' ecotec on here to see how well they do. That year seems to have a higher epa rating than the other years for some reason. phleas has a stick 03' here too doing very well too.

Does anyone have an opinion on the ford escape hybrid? Yeah I know, it's an suv , it would also be hard to even find one, let alone under 15k. It has a similar power split trans like the prius.
Me too. The Ecotec seems to be the friendliest GM engine for FE and emissions, so I have always been wanting to see what it can do in the hands of a GasSaver like Unstable Bob.

What others are writing about the Malibu makes sense too. The Malibu Maxx is basically a "cool looking station wagon".

When we went on a trip to the snow last XMas, I wanted to rent a Pontiac Vibe. Instead we got a Maxx, and it was a very nice ride. We had a V6 automatic(). On the freeway, the scangauge showed a respectable 30+ MPG on the flat. If I'd had a stick I am sure I could have moved it over 35 MPG.

I just did some googling. It doesn't look like the Maxx is offered as a V4, at least for 2007 .

Imagine starting with a used Maxx, and swapping in a V4 at a later time?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:14 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Ever noticed that shiny new cars are piloted by women and old pieces of sssshaving cream are piloted by guys? And it's almost NEVER the other way around? Equal rights huh.
thats because i think guys see a car as transportation first then how practical and what options it has. women seem to see them as social status things its like "ohh look at me! my suv's bigger and shiner than hers! IM more important!" prolly also explains why women cant drive them or minivans...

haha i had to post these pics of my dads work car:

runs drives, holds 5 people. 4cyl automatic and gets 26-27 mpg...best part is it only cost $100. 109K miles

i poked a hole thru the fender with my thumb once on accident
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #29
Registered Member

haha i know! ive driven it and ridden in it many times and its comfy and quiet and smooth.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #30
Supporting Member

It sounds like your on the right track. Take your time and buy the deal. Thats what I've always done too. My conservative side says hold out for under $8k. The malibu sounds good to me also but I'd probly be just as happy with the 3.5 v6 as the 4 cyl.

You could also consider the previous generation impala. I've heard of plenty of people getting 33-34mpg on the highway with the old 3.4v6. There also common as dirt and HUGE inside.

Here's the saturn BTW. Its a real fair price IMHO.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/car/401769252.html

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote