wife needs a newer car - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #81
Registered Member
 
jwxr7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 291
Country: United States
I forgot to say the '08 has 70% N. american parts vs about 50% for the '07. The other 30% is japanese for the '08, mostly the trans I suspect. The '07 had 30% japan too but who knows where the other 20% is from. Just thought that was worth noting .
__________________

__________________
Best tank= 81.23 mpg on july 1st 2008
SAVE SOME GAS, SAVE THE WORLD!

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #82
Registered Member
 
VetteOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,546
Country: United States
have fun when the tranny self destructs
__________________

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #83
Registered Member
 
psyshack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 443
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
Yeah, if i didn't have to pay the extra $1000 for the auto i would have rather put that money toward the EX package. They didn't have a sedan EX on the lot either. I guess we had to draw the line for price sake somewhere. At least with hubcaps i can put smoothies on easy .

Oh, and thanks for the honda guidance psyshack .
Your welcome.

I hope you and the wife enjoy your new car. I wish mine hadn't been a POS.
__________________
09 HCHII, w/Navi
07 Mazda3 S Touring, 5MT
Mild Hypermiler or Mad Man?
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #84
*shrug*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,195
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
I forgot to say the '08 has 70% N. american parts vs about 50% for the '07. The other 30% is japanese for the '08, mostly the trans I suspect. The '07 had 30% japan too but who knows where the other 20% is from. Just thought that was worth noting .
Honda has a transmission factory in mexico as well as some other random one. The transmission factory is one of Honda's "Zero waste to landfill" manufacturing plants.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #85
Registered Member
 
psyshack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 443
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
have fun when the tranny self destructs
The only Honda's with AT tranny issues are the V6 AT's found in Odys, Accord and TL. The I4 AT's have proven to be bullet proof. All that is required is maint. I change out 3 qt's of ATF and filter on our 05 Accord every 30k miles. Its put up with a hell of a beating by me with no issues. I hope the Civic AT has a filter like our Accord.
__________________
09 HCHII, w/Navi
07 Mazda3 S Touring, 5MT
Mild Hypermiler or Mad Man?
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #86
Registered Member
 
psyshack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 443
Country: United States
Our Accord and the Civic are/were all North American except for the transmissions which were Japan produced.

I will more than likely never buy another North American produced auto again.
__________________
09 HCHII, w/Navi
07 Mazda3 S Touring, 5MT
Mild Hypermiler or Mad Man?
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #87
Registered Member
 
jwxr7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 291
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
have fun when the tranny self destructs
I hope it doesn't, at least it has a 60 mo 60000 mile powertrain warranty. We may sell it before that runs out, we'll see. Maybe there'll be more hybrids to choose from by then.

My window sticker spec'd the trans as fully japanese built.

I really like the trans programming and ratio spread for this auto, I'm not usually much of an auto fan, but since I had to get one for her, this 5 spd is nice.


Quote:
I change out 3 qt's of ATF and filter on our 05 Accord every 30k miles. Its put up with a hell of a beating by me with no issues. I hope the Civic AT has a filter like our Accord.
I'll have to look and see how the trans filter is set-up. How is your accord set-up? Do you have to drop the pan to do what you do?
__________________
Best tank= 81.23 mpg on july 1st 2008
SAVE SOME GAS, SAVE THE WORLD!

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #88
Registered Member
 
psyshack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 443
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
I hope it doesn't, at least it has a 60 mo 60000 mile powertrain warranty. We may sell it before that runs out, we'll see. Maybe there'll be more hybrids to choose from by then.

My window sticker spec'd the trans as fully japanese built.

I really like the trans programming and ratio spread for this auto, I'm not usually much of an auto fan, but since I had to get one for her, this 5 spd is nice.




I'll have to look and see how the trans filter is set-up. How is your accord set-up? Do you have to drop the pan to do what you do?
The trans filter on our Accord is a side stream filter. It looks just like a fuel filter. Takes 5 to 10 mins to change it.
__________________
09 HCHII, w/Navi
07 Mazda3 S Touring, 5MT
Mild Hypermiler or Mad Man?
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #89
Supporting Member
 
lovemysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 595
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
The only Honda's with AT tranny issues are the V6 AT's found in Odys, Accord and TL. The I4 AT's have proven to be bullet proof. All that is required is maint. I change out 3 qt's of ATF and filter on our 05 Accord every 30k miles. Its put up with a hell of a beating by me with no issues. I hope the Civic AT has a filter like our Accord.

This is incorrect. You left out the civic, mdx, cl-s, 99-02 accord 4cyl. There is plenty of info on the net regarding this subject. I will NOT buy a honda automatic trans equipped car unless it is a 97 or older. I will say that some of the newer hondas probably have a improved trans and will last longer. But I'm not spending my hard earned cash on something that could possibly burn me! I will also say that honda gave a lot of people free replacements(outside the warranty) and extended the warranties to make up for the poor design. I could have forgiven them if they had improved the design and the re manufactured trans failure rate had not been high.

I've never been left stranded by any car I've owned. I always by used cars. generally around 50k miles. I have had a few clutches go out but I knew it was coming. Generally speaking if a car is maintained and proper attention is given to its mechanical operation it will not break down. But I'll not drive a car that will sneak up and die on me (like an acura tl automatic).
__________________
02 Saturn SL
5 speed
for pics click the link below

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #90
Registered Member
 
VetteOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,546
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
This is incorrect. You left out the civic, mdx, cl-s, 99-02 accord 4cyl. There is plenty of info on the net regarding this subject. I will NOT buy a honda automatic trans equipped car unless it is a 97 or older. I will say that some of the newer hondas probably have a improved trans and will last longer. But I'm not spending my hard earned cash on something that could possibly burn me! I will also say that gave a lot of people free replacements(outside the warranty) and extended the warranties to make up for the poor design. I could have forgiven them if they had improved the design and the re manufactured trans failure rate had not been high.

I've never been left stranded by any car I've owned. I always by used cars. generally around 50k miles. I have had a few clutches go out but I knew it was coming. Generally speaking if a car is maintained and proper attention is given to its mechanical operation it will not break down. But I'll not drive a car that will sneak up and die on me (like an acura tl automatic).

thast what i was thinking but i wasnt sure. yea around 50k or so some stuff is alreay worn out and theres no avoiding that(usually its cheaper stuff if you do it yourself) we have a car that we keep thinking is gonna die off some morning but yet it still fires up.
__________________

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuelly badge not updating for about 2 - 3 weeks Need Fuelly Web Support and Community News 18 07-01-2012 03:01 PM
Fuelly Android App - eehokie Fuelly Web Support and Community News 2 07-14-2010 09:59 PM
VW Jetta fast riser coolbreeze General Fuel Topics 5 07-22-2009 12:25 AM
DIY: Wire Tuck!!! SVOboy Experiments, Modifications and DIY 11 09-21-2006 05:17 AM
Condensator orevgym General Fuel Topics 0 07-23-2006 11:25 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.