Will you buy an SUV now that their value has plummeted? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Will you buy an SUV now that their value has plummeted?

My jobs only 6 miles away and if the last Generation of Escalades ever dip below $10,000 I may just get one

I've seen Hummer H2's go for as low as $14,000. Nuts.

I wonder if all these people trading in their SUV's realize that they are getting so upside down taking that big hit and getting yet another car payment that they were better off keeping their SUV's

http://www.topix.com/content/trb/200...ling-the-pinch

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
Team GasMisers5!

I would buy one if I could get cheap insurance, road tax. Just wouldn't use it much

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

I sold my '02 Dodge Ram 1500 earlier this year and I've been regretting it ever since, but now that the market has taken a steep slide, I'm considering buying another when I feel the market has fully crashed. Trucks are nice to have around and CRUCIAL when you need one and don't have one.

I bought it for $4,800 (yes, I know, that's insanely low, its a long story) the book value was $8,700, even in Feb. the most I could get out of it was $6,800 and this was when gas was still $2.70/gal. I see the same trucks now selling for $5,500 all day. I hope to find another 4.7L, but I'd like a 2wd 5sp this time, I'm betting I will spend $4k for an '02 or newer truck with less than 100k mi. and be capable of 22mpg mixed, although it will just be used when needing to tow or haul.

I don't have a family so SUV's have no appeal to me at all.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yes I am looking to buy a bigger SUV. I have a Denali right now but need something larger to pull my box trailer. The Denali can pull it but it is right at capacity and doesn't feel safe to drive. I have a CRX HF and a BMW 330 for daily driving so the SUV is just for when I need to tow.

I'm looking at getting a Diesel Excursion. I have researched pickups and vans but the Excursion does just as good MPG wise and I would find myself using the enclosed SUV's room more often than a truck bed (don't want my musical equipment out in the rain!

I'm still pondering a diesel van though.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

I wouldnt unless its a CRV or Rav4 4 cylinder that i can get for under 3000. but that will never happen since its a fuel efficient small suv thats reliable.

I really have no use for one, I dont tow anything and if i need the space, a van or a station wagon would do much better
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
Yes I am looking to buy a bigger SUV. I have a Denali right now but need something larger to pull my box trailer. The Denali can pull it but it is right at capacity and doesn't feel safe to drive. I have a CRX HF and a BMW 330 for daily driving so the SUV is just for when I need to tow.

I'm looking at getting a Diesel Excursion. I have researched pickups and vans but the Excursion does just as good MPG wise and I would find myself using the enclosed SUV's room more often than a truck bed (don't want my musical equipment out in the rain!

I'm still pondering a diesel van though.
look at the dodge sprinter vans, they get liek 33 mpg and can tow/haul a lot.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I've thought the Sprinter is bound to be very practical, ever since it came out. However, I just checked and the tow rating (for any model, 2500 or 3500, cargo van or chassis-cab, etc) is incredibly lame at 5000 pounds, nowhere near the rating of a Denali 1500.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
I would buy one if I could get cheap insurance, road tax. Just wouldn't use it much
Yup I just want an Escalade just to have it.

But the key is the newer ones have to dip into the less then $10,000 range.

Who knows one day they might be rare since there sending all the SUVs to Russia now

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I've thought the Sprinter is bound to be very practical, ever since it came out. However, I just checked and the tow rating (for any model, 2500 or 3500, cargo van or chassis-cab, etc) is incredibly lame at 5000 pounds, nowhere near the rating of a Denali 1500.
Yeah I found that too. My Denali is rated at 8000lb, my trailer is about 7000lb tandem axle. Even though it is not *at* the limit yet it drives horribly, and you also have to consider it is also a box trailer with a lot of wind resistance (though I did opt for a vee-nose). The Excursion is around 12-14000lb so it should tow a lot better. Funny thing is there isn't much price difference between a diesel pickup and the Excursion, and like I said I find the SUV body more usable for my needs.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three6Eight View Post
Yup I just want an Escalade just to have it.
I've heard that a diesel version of the Tahoe/Escalade/Yukon/Denali is coming out soon. To me that would be my ideal large utility vehicle.

I know a lot of people rip on big SUV's (especially considering the forum) but I love mine. I have owned a lot of cars from compact to station wagons to vans to sports cars and every other type. The SUV is still by far my favorite, and if I had to own just one car I would still choose the SUV. The only drawback to me is the low FE, they handle just fine and I don't drive like a maniac so I'm not that concerned about roll overs.