Windshield Washer Fluid $$$ - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Windshield Washer Fluid $$$

Hey anyone notice the price of washer fluid these days?? $3.00 a gallon on sale for $5.00 for 2 gallons . . . seems I paid about $1.00 for the last gallon I used. Gasoline is cheeper than water with alcohol in it!!!

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I noticed too, when my wife paid $3 for a gallon last weekend. Then this morning I looked at the price while getting gas, and a gallon of cheap stuff was $3, while the price for two supposedly premium products (that I've never seen) was $4. WTF?

Might as well buy Rain-X washer fluid for less at WalMart.

...unless that has gone up too. I wonder how much the cheap blue stuff is at WalMart now?

Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

I've been using the orange Rain-X washer fluid for years. I wait until the reservoir is low, and then I add an entire bottle. I guess I go through about 2 of the "bonus size" bottles /year. (If you watch they often have a 30% more ((or something like that)) free bottle on the shelves once in a while.) With the Rain-X fluid I seem to use the washer a lot less, so its worth it.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #4

thats why I use vinegar in water. one gallon of water and about 3 tablespoons of vinegar.
Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Also, I usually notice at the end of winter I can usually grab a couple of the bonus size bottles of Rain-X on clearance @ Target.

-Jay

Old 02-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #6

The blue stuff that's good for -20* is usually $1.60-1.80 at WM and other places.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
With the Rain-X fluid I seem to use the washer a lot less, so its worth it.

-Jay
I agree with Jay... I feel like the blue stuff sometimes feels like water with food coloring. I also see a difference after using Rain-X when it Rains, and I think it's more than just the placebo effect.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I am a firm believer in Rain-X. When I used to just buy the blue stuff I'd add the rain-x additive to the water when I filled it but now I just buy the bottle of de-icer. The blue stuff just doesn't work as well and living in a place that actually gets ice it is nice to have the de-icer.

Love being able to drive down the freeway with it raining VERY hard, not use the wipers, and STILL see better than someone with just wipers going full speed.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I like the cheap blue stuff ok, it does its job, but RainX (and occasionally other premium brands) seems to work better all around.

My VW came with something clear and more soapy than alcoholy (is that a word?) when it was brand new. That was actually nice stuff, and I may try to buy VW-brand fluid at a VW dealer.

I just googled about it, and here's what I read on vwvortex.com:
Quote:
Just buy the purple stuff from Advance Auto. Awesome smell for less than $2.00 for a HUGE jug.
This one has pics of various VW-branded products and I suspect this is the one I like:
Quote:
ZVW 177 904 Premium Windshield Washer Solvent Concentrate 16 fl. OZ. (473 ml) $4.29 list
I also have considered just adding something soapy to whatever I'm already using. My dad accidentally poured a bottle of power washer general purpose concentrate into his washer resevoir and I drained it and saved it...maybe I should try it.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

I have never treated the windows in The Beast with Rain-X, just used the washer fluid. In the rain the water just beads off the windows. I never use low or high on the wipers. Even in the heaviest rain I only have the wipers on delay. I think this saves wear & tear on the blades because my blades seem to last ~ 2 years before I replace them, and I'm very anal about my wipers working. If they're not 100% I replace them. Probably the Rain-X is also protecting the rubber blades from oxidation as well.

-Jay