Women Drivers. Truth or Fiction? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2016, 02:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Women Drivers. Truth or Fiction?

I ran across this video featuring women driving poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stMtDzeEq_s

Firstly, are women thought to be bad drivers in your country, too, or is it just a USA thing?

Secondly, how did this idea of women can't drive come about if they pay less insurance costs because they are less of a risk on the road?

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

Men are by far the most dangerous behind the wheel - that has to be the worst driving!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

I think generally they are more cautious than men, less aggression, less speeding, less overtaking etc, hence why they are considered safer. But it's the smaller low speed parking maneuvers they seem to struggle with, especially those that involve reversing, they just don't have the same coordinates as men. My mum openly admits she can't reverse and purposely avoids single track roads incase she has to reverse, her friends are the same.

Not all women drivers are like this of course, I have a friend who's in the Racing series Clio cup, she can probably outdrive and outpark most male drivers. Swings and roundabouts as they say here

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:16 AM   #4
LDB
Registered Member

It's true! There really are women drivers! My wife hates reverse as well. Other than that it's 100% though. Off topic, what does the phrase swings and roundabouts mean? We have roundabouts here although they are rare thankfully but nothing to relate swings and cars.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

Swings and roundabouts refers to a children's play area with swings and roundabouts, it's the same as saying horses for courses, implying different race horses perform better on different race tracks than on others. Get my drift?

Old 04-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #6
LDB
Registered Member

Ok, I was thinking playground swings as the only swing I could think of, well other than a baseball swing and that definitely wasn't it, and roundabouts I guess are what we'd call a merry go round. Those were fun as a kid to see just how fast you could get it going and how dizzy by the time it stopped. I was thinking roundabout like on a roadway though and trying to link them both to driving. It makes sense now.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Registered Member

We have plenty of female users on this site, so let's ensure we keep this thread civil.

Slightly related (triggered by what I saw in vid)- why is it in the event of a collision, even the slightest fender bender, diver's immediately stop and get out of car, right there in the middle of the road/intersection/etc? "HEY! I JUST HIT YOU! WANT TO STAY RIGHT WHERE WE ARE AND HOPE FOR MORE??" lol. I can understand if the vehicle becomes disabled, but I see it often here with minor collisions as well. I realize a vehicle accident will hold you up, but why hold everyone else up as well?
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

Having been in a few accidents myself, I can tell you that shock tends to get the better of you, instinct takes over and gets you out of the situation before you've had time to think. Also, if/when airbags go off, in the panic, you tend to think the car is on fire as they are covered in talc to prevent them sticking, and also there is residue from the explosives. I burnt my wrist on an airbag once, they hurt more than you think, far from soft!

Old 04-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

Also you may notice in some accidents, after a collision the car will then shoot off again. This is because you instinctly brace in an impact, and usually accidentally hit the gas as your legs go completely rigid (as does the rest of your body) another reasons why automatics are dangerous. I was in a crash in my mums automatic, and after we'd finished rolling over and landing upside down, my foot was unknowingly on the gas, engine bouncing on the limiter!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
We have plenty of female users on this site, so let's ensure we keep this thread civil.
Of course! You know us!

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote