you ever have one of those days??? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

you ever have one of those days???

I have been trying to decide on whether to get another car or just run mine into the ground. also, on whether to buy used or new if I did decide on getting something else.

after some consideration, I decided to save my money and keep running my car.

this past friday, a deer ran into me (yea, it charged the car). I was riding and it hit me in the front fender, smacked it's head against the windshield and rolled down the side of my car.

at first, the door wouldn't open. once I got the door open, I could asses the damage.

fender dented badly
door dented right on the handle
rear panel dented (unibody so that sucks)
shattered the outside mirror
broke the housing
cracked the windshield
and the impact knocked off my rear view mirror (inside)

I hope to fix it for around $200 depending on how much the windshield will cost me. at first, I thought I was going to be car shopping this weenend. luckily, none of it is really functional (mechanically speaking)

I meant to take before pics of it but needed to get it driveable. below are some pics after I fixed it (relatively speaking)

I have the mirror on order and plan to call a guy on monday about the windshield. the fender may come later as it is cheap from the pull-a-part.

(my picture quality is usually better but this was my phone camera)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

i assume this means you will not make an insurance claim. if so, good idea. the windshield replacement will be pricey w/ cash, however.

in regard to a new vehicle...i would not buy new unless i could pay cash @ less than 15% of my income. when considering dumping your present vehicle, use the 2/3 rule: if 2 of 3 of the drive train, body, and interior are in good order, just replace/repair the third!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That fender dent looks like it may come out ok if you can remove the fender and work it gently from the backside...
Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

my car is worth about $500 and has been for a few years now (it has a salvaged title) so no insurance on this (liability only).

the fender has some deep creasing as it was pushed into the stuff behind it. it was actually pushed in to where the door wouldn't open but about a foot. we took the inner fender off and used a board to push it out far enough for the door to work properly. I don't think I could get it to look right again. also, the fender at the local pull-a-part store is $29.71

I don't plan to worry about that until after I get the mirror and windshield fixed. several people have told me that the windshield will run me about $120 and the guy will come to my work to replace it in the parking lot. I hope that still rings true.

I dropped the full coverage on my car a few years ago and my insurance dropped $30-$40 per month (yes, I pay monthly) so I have saved more than I am spending. plus, if I tried to make a claim, they would have just wrote me a check for the blue book value and called it a day.

the mirror was $35ish from rockauto.com so I can stay around the $200 mark if the windshield isn't that bad.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

If you have comprehensive (covers flood, hail, tree falling on your roof, etc) you could file a claim.
It cost me about $80 a year. Paid $550 to put a new windshield in my Mercedes when it caught a rock.
Might be worth a check on your policy.

regards
Gary
Old 01-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

Did you at least keep the deer? That's a hell of a way to go deer hunting!

$120 installed sounds like a pretty good price for a windshield

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

adding insult to injury...

the deer shook it off and ran away. (it was a 6 pointer or there abouts)

*****edit*******

the $120 price for the windshield is what someone else paid (he had a jeep grand cherokee). I think it depends vehicle to vehicle. I hope it is in the same range. if it is more, I may have to just eat it or rethink my situation.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #8

Can't you afford to upgrade to a Yugo, or some other better-looking car?
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Windshield prices do vary significantly by vehicle, but if your friend got one for $120 I'd say there's a pretty good chance yours will be $100-150. Is that a local company, or a franchise? I wouldn't mind knowing where I can get windshields at that price...
Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

I just had a windshield (poorly) installed by Glass Doctor yesterday. $135 for the glass, and $90 for the terrible installation. I'm going to go back ask for my money back. They told me that price included new moldings, but they only replaced the top one. They cracked and tore chunks out of the side ones when they re-installed them. They are not even close to flush with the windshield anymore. They also broke the cowling piece behind the windshield wipers IN HALF, then re-installed it. The headliner is now drooping in the front, too. Total cost to order the molding, cowling, and related hardware? $287. More than I paid for the windshield. And that does not include installation or fixing the headliner.

Do NOT go to Glass Doctor.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote