1992 VX, needs some TLC (Sacramento, CA) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

1992 VX, needs some TLC (Sacramento, CA)

So this has been my daily driver for the past 10 years. It has about 180,000 miles on it. I've gotten consistently 36-40 in town, and 50-52 on the highway. I love the car... it's the second of the exact same year and model I've owned (the first I bought new; this one I bought in 2005.)

It's a 5 speed manual, with nearly new tires (under 7000 miles), and many other parts have been replaced over the past several years (CV axles, muffler, radiator, catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, master cylinder, and various other things.) It has air conditioning that was converted to freon 134, with all new seals and new compressor, and works, though it probably needs recharging. Clutch has about 60,000 miles on it. The transmission runs totally smooth and never jumps out of gear or otherwise is difficult. It is all original, and has the California 5-wire sensor. It passed smog inspection fine on its last test.

Body is in good shape, no major dents or defects. Paint is definitely worn in a few places but it still looks pretty good for a 24 year old car. The drivers side window crank assembly needs to be adjusted, and the car does need new brake pads.

So here's the issue: The engine itself is in great condition and runs fine, but the main crankshaft pulley (NOT the timing belt pulley) just stripped out, and tore up the end of the crankshaft. This doesn't affect the internals of the engine -- it still runs -- except that I can't just replace the pulley... so the whole crankshaft would have to be replaced. I'm told that on this model of Civic, this can be done by removing the oilpan, without tearing down the entire engine, but it's more than I want to take on. (It's not driveable as is, and would have to be towed.)

The car has a clean title, but I will probably have to fill out the lost title form for you as I'm not sure I can locate the title. I'm willing to go to the DMV with you if needed.

If you have the time and energy to do the repairs yourself, the parts should be under $100 (I've got the new crank pulley I'll throw in), and the car should be a great daily driver with a lot of life left in it. I just don't have the time to put into it.

This is a great vehicle for someone who has the time to put some energy into it, and should have a lot of life left in it... so I think it's time to pass it on to someone else who will love it as much as I have.

I'm really not interested in lowball offers. If you are serious and interested and have questions, or want to come see it... email me and I'll get back to you promptly.

Thanks very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	2067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	2068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.JPG