Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

What's this '92 VX worth?

From this thread:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8812

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/802223929.html

I looked at the car tonight. It had been rear ended. Needs new tailgate, rear bumper, front bumper (it was pushed into the vehicle in front of it), and it's a complete rust bucket. Also looks like it was in another accident during its life because the driver's door and hood are painted a different shade of white. Wheels are in decent shape with plenty of tread left on the tires. There's an oil leak around the distributor (likley the o-ring). Owner says it does not burn oil. Sputters and hesitates on acceleration when in 2nd and 3rd gear and accelerating slightly to a higher speed. Not sure if this is lean burn or what. It appears from the records and interior wear that it does indeed have 97k miles on it.

I was considering it for a complete engine swap (intake, cat, egr, computer etc.) into my '95 DX. I figure I can get 20% better FE than I'm getting with my DX now...and I miss the sweet low end power band of the VX engine.

So what's it worth? I have until Thursday morning Eastern Time to let the owner know before others look at it.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

i'd offer him 700-1k. with the missmatching doors(accident) n rust. more to the 700 or a lil less if ur just gonna swap the motor/ecu/harness.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cems70 View Post
From this thread:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8812

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/802223929.html

I looked at the car tonight. It had been rear ended. Needs new tailgate, rear bumper, front bumper (it was pushed into the vehicle in front of it), and it's a complete rust bucket. Also looks like it was in another accident during its life because the driver's door and hood are painted a different shade of white. Wheels are in decent shape with plenty of tread left on the tires. There's an oil leak around the distributor (likley the o-ring). Owner says it does not burn oil. Sputters and hesitates on acceleration when in 2nd and 3rd gear and accelerating slightly to a higher speed. Not sure if this is lean burn or what. It appears from the records and interior wear that it does indeed have 97k miles on it.

I was considering it for a complete engine swap (intake, cat, egr, computer etc.) into my '95 DX. I figure I can get 20% better FE than I'm getting with my DX now...and I miss the sweet low end power band of the VX engine.

So what's it worth? I have until Thursday morning Eastern Time to let the owner know before others look at it.
Am I missing something here or can't you just do an engine swap by buying a VX engine from a junkyard? The civic engines are very similar, with the primary difference with the VX being the wiring harness (assuming yours doesn't have any sort of VTEC), ECU, cylinder head and O2 sensor. Have this same idea for a 4 door Civic Sedan as well though I haven't purchased anything yet.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Am I missing something here or can't you just do an engine swap by buying a VX engine from a junkyard? The civic engines are very similar, with the primary difference with the VX being the wiring harness (assuming yours doesn't have any sort of VTEC), ECU, cylinder head and O2 sensor. Have this same idea for a 4 door Civic Sedan as well though I haven't purchased anything yet.
I figured it would cost me a lot more time, and at least as much money, to source a low mileage VX engine, wiring harness, ECU, O2 sensor, intake, EGR related items etc. Buying this complete car would also give me lots of extra parts, including another full set of VX wheels.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Having the complete car is def great, made my swap go so much smoother...honestly with the high desire of the hatch's its hard to say what its worth...any other car in that condition I'd say $500....but since 1. Its a 92-95 hatch 2.Its a low mileage VX and 3. Its a Honda :-P They could probably get $1K for it...if you really just want it for the swap then its pretty good because of the low miles, you can always sell the shell after you are done with it and probably fetch $200-$300...gl I'd snag it quick if you want it

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Old 08-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

what a great car..92 vx in providence

I picked up this car today, filled it up and put 35 psi in the tires before driving it 165 miles to its new home. filled it up again and it took 2.5 gallons to fill!!
Holy mpg! thats 65.6 mpg...I love this car
weird thing is there seems to be a misfire around 2200 rpm that goes away as soon as you give it a lil tickle on the gas pedal. I figure cant be too serious , I hope
Old 08-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Just give it a basic look over and tune up...If you haven't driven a VX before I bet the "misfire" you speak of is just the VX switching out of lean burn, it acts like a hesitation, I'm gonna assume with your mpg's you VX is pretty healthy right now! Vtec-e kicks in at about 2500rpms too, also could be the cross over you are feeling...

Enjoy it, I love cursing around under 2000rpms in a car that is very happy and driveable and turns out amazing gas mileage!

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Old 08-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Registered Member

92 vx

Hi, and thanx for the advice.

definitely know what you mean about cruising
I was driving down I 95 in fifth turning about 1800 rpms and really feeling nice. The amazing thing is the acceleration without a downshift , really an amazing car.

I think it is definitely a misfire can feel it and hear it
Ill look tomorrow. Also I drove it without a muffler and it really want that loud. perhaps the lack of backpressure is screwing with it. new muffler tomorrow morning.

Closed Thread