Negotiation help - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Negotiation help

Hi there guys I'm looking at possibly getting a 1994 cx with 106000 miles in fair condition white color, new muffler. He's asking 1600 for the car and it kbb's for 1850. I was wondering what a good price would be to start the negotiations at. Thanks so much and heres the link
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/car/532994550.html

Sorry if this is the wrong forum I couldn't figure out which one I was supposed to post it on.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

That CX has a serious rust problem. It will only get worse if it isn't cut out and a new piece welded in. It's going to be louder than hell on the highway at 70 mph the way it is now. Good thing it has low miles. I would start at 1200 and offer no more than 1400 for it. I paid 1400 for a 92 VX with 125K on it in Sept 05. My rust repair was easy compared to what this car needs.

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
KBB for what condition? it's not excellent or good and it's pushing the limits of fair. there's rust in several places...bad rust, wrinkles from an accident on one side (DS behind the door) and the underside probably isn't much better. I wouldn't pay the 'fair' condition private party value so start a bit lower. showing up with cash in hand usually allows you to spend a few hundred less. Show up with 1500 and you might get it for that.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks guys so do you think its even worth considering it to buy it? How much are the rust repairs probably going to cost me? Thanks so much guys
Old 01-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

How much to repair the rust? That is hard to give a single number to. If you buy the quarter panel pieces yourself and get them welded on, it could cost about $150 per side. To make it look factory - much much more. If you're looking for a commuter beater then option 1 above should suffice. If you get the car for around $1200 you could invest $500 more for "plastic surgery" to make it look decent. That's assuming the rest of the car is in good shape. If so, I would go for it. I've put 45000 miles on this VX and like my 44 average mpg I get with it.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote