Sorta found - CRX! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Marketplace | Buy, Sell, Trade > Wanted to Buy
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #1

Sorta found - CRX!

Okay - I have located a 1991 CRX DX. It has issues. It's been sitting for 4 years, mainly. Has some body damage but belonged to an ex-girlfriend. ONE OWNER! (her) Body damage doesn't affect anything - and can be fixed easily enough (new black fender). Needs paint fixed - that's easy enough too. NO RUST - in California.

Only about 115,000 miles on the vehicle. I've driven this one in the past so I know what it is like. No A/C. Definitely want to swap out a couple of gears to make it like the HF tranny for mileage.

The sitting for 4 years part is what I need help with. It's in Sacramento and I will have to have it shipped cross country. That's first - anyone know of a cheap service that will ship it? I don't want to pay too much to get it here.

The second part is what all exactly needs done? I have heard you have to put something in the cylinders to free it up, and it will need a new timing belt & water pump while I'm at it. Tune-up - oil, tranny, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air filter, flush radiator, change all hoses, belts. Fuel additive for the first half dozen tanks.

The pros on this vehicle are: It has only ever been to a Honda dealer (and Goodyear for new tires & brakes once) in its life. Liable to need 4 new tires, but I'm thinking of VX rims & tires. Plus there's that 115,000 miles on it - and I was in it or around it for 50,000 of those miles! Likely I'm overpaying a bit (I figure $1000 to my mechanic for the timing belt, water pump & tuneup?) plus transpo plus cost of vehicle (her mom was going to donate it), BUT there's that whole KNOWN history thing plus ZERO body rust (it's in Sacramento). Needs better seats and a passenger door panel but those I can deal with.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

Why did they let it sit for years?

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #3

Note I'm no longer with said ex-gf. It sat for 4 years because it got dropped off and her (now husband) bf and her took his car home. They were supposed to pick it up at her mom's "in a couple weeks." Weeks turned to months turned to years. So now her mom (actual legal owner) is going to donate it - I said I'd buy it cheap and have it shipped here.

$1375 is low KBB on it. NADA is 400 higher. Given that it's been sitting for 4 years (I was the last person to make the engine turn over, it ran just FINE) it will need the engine overhaul. I don't expect to pay more than $500 for it. I don't even know if it's currently licensed but don't expect that to be a problem, as it will be licensed out of state. Transfer the title to out of state - have it registered as non-running - get it inspected when I have it running - voila - CRX with a completely known history!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
shipping will probably be 800+ unless you know someone. actually, probably more since you're another 1000 miles from me. I got a quote for 800 once for CA to IL. keep in mine they charge extra if it's non-running. it doesn't seem like it's that bad of a deal but at the same time...it's a CRX. there's a bazillion of them all over.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #5

I'm liable to pick up several CRXs but there are a couple of things going for this vehicle:

1) I know its complete history - 1 owner even if it was my ex gf.
2) I was the last person to turn it over - so I know it's sound mechanically.
3) Never seen the inside of a non-Honda shop except once for brakes (rotors too) and tires at a Goodyear - good enough for me.
4) See #1-3

I talked with my mechanic yesterday and he said no sweat, easy under $1000 to restore the engine (new belts, hoses, plugs, oil, tranny fluid & filter, wire, cap, rotor, coil, timing belt, water pump, flush & fill radiator, lube cylinders prior to turning it over, etc.). I figure VX rims and new VX tires so I won't have to worry about the condition of the tires either way.

It will be extra but my mechanic will also change gears in the tranny for extra mileage (think HF), but I am liable to go with a 6-speed tranny, first 2 standard in a CRX, 3rd I'm not sure, 4th & 5th likely similar to an HF and 6th gear for extreme mileage. That ought to be fun. The actual dollar savings are not as important because some of this is my entertainment budget - wanting to see what I can actually do. It's a 1.5L engine so plenty of power.

Then I talked with him about putting in a VX engine & wiring harness - that will run me a pretty penny but combined with that nice 6-speed....I am pretty sure I can get about 80 MPG out of it without trying too hard - this at regular freeway speeds.

Then there's the SuperMid I need to pick up.

Half of this means it's going to be a fun project - but I believe I can have the whole thing up & running in about 2 weeks from when I receive the vehicle.

I think I'll start another thread on the VX VTEC-E engine swap.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
but I am liable to go with a 6-speed tranny
You're planning a K-series swap, then? Or maybe a C32 from a Legend?
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

At 115,000 miles, if it was Dealer serviced, that is like a new car, almost. when you get it, I would pull the plugs, put a couple of tablespoons of oil in each cylinder, let it sit overnight, change the oil, replace the plugs and fire it up. Then I'd take it to the mechanic and get the service you described. Because it's over 3 years, if you get a pink slip, you shouldn't have a problem getting it registered, out of California. Good Luck.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote