WTB CRX HF or Civic VX - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
2 years ago when gas was still cheap I bought my vx for $1,900 with 204,000 miles, front engine damage and some rust, and I still feel like I got a really good deal on it based off craiglist and carsoup ads in this area.

I also have a 1985 crx hf that I paid $700 for 3 years ago with rust, miss matched door, low compression and grinds in 2nd gear, and again, I haven't seen one that cheap that you could drive, I have looked at a few tho, one that the drivers seat was falling thru the floor for $1,200, if you only have $1,500, I would say you might have to settle for something that needs ALOT of work, or has a compromised body.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Hey thanks.. for the advice and or help.. That car is super nice I would be afraid to drive it in the east with all the snow and ice.. Did the VX wheels make much of a difference in MPG??
Ill keep looking for one
jim

ravenrollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrollercoaster View Post
Hey thanks.. for the advice and or help.. That car is super nice I would be afraid to drive it in the east with all the snow and ice.. Did the VX wheels make much of a difference in MPG??
Ill keep looking for one
jim
Well they did because the wheels I replaced where heavy cast 15" wheels. So I saved lots of weight and my mpg did go up...but seeing as I replaced the 15" wheels relatively soon after I got my crx I didn't take detailed gas logs until after I had the vx wheels and I got around 43-44mpg average and 50+mpg on all highway trips.
70DIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
I have a CRX HF that you might be interested in. I wasn't going to post it for sale just yet, but there's a chance I'll be able to part with it a little earlier than I had originally anticipated. Let me know if you're still looking.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #15
Registered Member

yes I am interested.. LMK what you would like to do.. if you have pics email them to me at Also send me your phone number or gimme a call... I will pm you my number
Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
I do have a couple of pictures of my HF that I'll try to post. I've been away for the holidays, but I should be back soon. In the meantime I'll just send you whatever pictures I have. My AOL email address is cypressdowns@aol.com Where shall I send these pictures?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #17
Registered Member

my email is texascyclone@verizon.net How much were you looking to get.. gimme a call if you like My home # is 5704622948 and cell is 5705900845
lmk
thanks
jim
Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #18
Registered Member

Unhappy Check Kelley Blue Book Values First!

Don't let sellers rip you off! I checked the Kelley Blue Book value of a 1991 CRX HF w/ 150K miles (www.kbb.com), and here are the results, for private-party (non-dealer) values:

Excellent
$1,800

Good
$1,500

Fair
$1,150

You're $1500 offer for a good 1991 CRX HF with about 150K miles is perfectly decent. I've made the mistake in the past of paying higher than blue book value for a car simply because it was "hard to find" (a 1996 Camry Wagon). Since then I refuse to listen to other's BS. Unless it's a classic car, do not pay more than KBB value for it!
dood19770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #19
Supporting Member

CRX's don't go for KBB prices. If I could get CRX's Si and Civic VX's for the prices they show in KBB I'd take a dozen. KBB does not take into account at all that first of all a CRX is already collectible as it is and on top of that any extremely economic car such as VX's and HF's are getting more and more sought after. If you find one of these anywhere near KBB you may count yourself lucky and the owner probably didn't know about its real market value...
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #20
Registered Member

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see the point in paying $2000 or more above KBB for a Civic VX when I could get a Civic DX (same year, number of miles, condition, etc.) for closer to the KBB price even though it only gets 36 mpg highway vs 49 mpg highway. It would take a long time to justify the increased cost.

I currently drive a 1995 Accord Wagon LX (manual) that I bought for $3500 four years ago. At the time (it had 114K miles) the blue book value was about $4000. I would have paid up to that number, but not more. Suppose Honda made an HF version of the Accord Wagon w/ manual in 1995 that got 43 mpg highway versus my current 30 mpg. Of course I would prefer the HF version, but I would not have paid $5500 for it (because of the high demand for it) even though I'd save a couple hundred dollars every year on gasoline.

My point is that it doesn't make financial sense to pay WAY over the blue book value for a car when you can get a similar car close to the blue book value that doesn't get quite as good gas mileage.

dood19770 is offline   Reply With Quote