WTB: CX/VX civic 5 spd tranny. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Marketplace | Buy, Sell, Trade > Wanted to Buy
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

WTB: CX/VX civic 5 spd tranny.

if you have one, email me at: peterumino@hotmail.com

I can get it rebuilt, so I'll take just about anything!

thanks!

first350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Not to offend you, but you give no clue as to where you are located, but if you are willing to ship a tranny, I would call up someone like http://www.natchezsalvage.com/ they have a tranny with 58,000 miles on it for $275 and they clame to ship.
http://trade4363.car-part.com/, they have one with 11,000 miles on it for $150. http://www.miamipartsunlimited.com/ has one with 12,000 miles on it for $145.

I paid around $150 for my vx tranny, it had 120,000 miles on it and the junk yard that sold it to me was only 15 miles away, even with how few miles were on it I still checked the end play of the main shaft, and it was good so I replaced the drive shaft seals befor installing it and have put around 15,000 miles on it so far without a single issue.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to limerence
Dayam Ryland... howd you come up with those places? they're all in different states. nice finds. know of any in the bay area, ca area? attarco has them for $350 shipped locally. wanted to see if there were any other cheap places.
limerence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

I used the exact same search that junk yards use, www.car-part.com you can put in your zip code, or part of the country, or have it do a country wide search and sort by price.
I assumed that if First350 wasn't going to give a location, then he must be ok with paying to have a tranny sent thru the mail, so some scattered locations would be useful, but I personaly like to deal with people on a more local leavle, that way if I have a problem with it I don't have to mail a 45 pound tranny back to Mississippi.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to molecule
i have a cx tranny for $75 plus shipping
perfect working order
yes the cx tranny is the exact same as a vx tranny.
same 3.25 final drive...and gearing
Old 12-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

it turns out attarco cant say for certain that the tranny they have is for a vx. just that its a civic tranny. i know its more expensive, but what are opinions on tranny rebuilds?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

befor I found a used tranny, I called every transmision shop in the phone book, and only found two places that would touch a manual, most of them said they only work on automatics.
I was quoted around $1,200, and $1,500 to rebuild my vx tranny, I then checked on the cost of a brand new tranny from Honda, and the price is listed at $1802.30 for a compleat new unit.
looking at car-part.com, there are a few rebuilt trannys listed for around $800, the biggest killer seems to be that you are suposed to change the tranny oil every 50,000 miles or two years, and I dout that anyone has changed the fluid in most of the cars on the road, but if you can find one that has low miles, and put good fluid in it, I think it should be fine.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

so i've checked out the trannies on car-part, and tempted to buy, but how accurate are the mileage numbers on there? looks like there are two in the 1000's. which means someone wrecked their civic very early on. or a typographical error. but i would hate to find out about the error once its shipped to me
Old 12-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Registered Member

well, you could try asking them to check the main shaft end play befor shiping, or get one that is more local, seeing as how most of those places have 800 numbers, it might be worth a phone call, ask them the questions, if you don't like the answers then don't get it.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
Registered Member

get the cheapest one u can find. as long as it is vx,cx. go to a honda dealer. talk to some of the techs before or after work. ask them how much to open it and check it. they can probably do it at work on the side. my friend charged me $50 and resealed it with honda bond. said it was fine. bought new axle seals and havent had a problem since. same guys that would work on it without the dealer price. they get the parts way cheaper. good luck. do your homework. less headaches once installed.

jmaze is offline   Reply With Quote