1994 4cyl Accord - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

1994 4cyl Accord

thinking of trading my wife's car for this...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=253312815
it has 123k miles and a 1 year warranty.

i don't really have the cash to fund this, but her camaro needs LOTS of work, so i may be cutting my losses. our compromise is that i put her Z28 back on the road for limited recreational use.

yes, she requires the dreaded AT. thoughts?

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
thinking of trading my wife's car for this...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=253312815
it has 123k miles and a 1 year warranty.

i don't really have the cash to fund this, but her camaro needs LOTS of work, so i may be cutting my losses. our compromise is that i put her Z28 back on the road for limited recreational use.

yes, she requires the dreaded AT. thoughts?
Did you test drive the Accord?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

actually at this point, we're trying to decide if it's worth driving an hour to do just that.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

anyone know how used car dealerships work their pricing?

this guy's advertising for $1890 with a stipulation (at the bottom) stating that the price assumes a $500-$1000 cash or trade, plus tax,tag,title and dealer fee.

so, how do i know if it is $2350 or $2850? also, my trade is worth more than $1000, so what might i expect in regard to my trade value and dealer fee?

they're closed until monday, and i'd like some ammunition before i call or go look at the car.

one more question: the Z28 has been sitting untagged for a while. are we going to be penalized upon re-registering it? cetainly every state is different, but i'd like to get some clue of what laws and fines apply.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I hate tricky advertising like that. If I couldn't avoid that dealer because they have the car I want, I'd go in and negotiate the No Bullschitt Price. Then, once I have that in writing, I'd negotiate downpayment, financing, trade-in, etc.

What is "dealer fee"?

I looked briefly through http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/titlinf.html for a penalty for a car that was unregistered for a long time, but failed to find anything.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Registered Member

i'm driving a friends 96 accord DX, auto right now since i sold my car to look for an automatic 4 banger.

the cars acceleration is not that fast (compared to your camaro) but its well powered if your a hypermiller type person. its more comfortable than a civic, (duh) and the road noise is better than a civic on the highway, but is still noisy.

im getting about 23 mpg all city, and on the highway its at about 2450 rpm at 60mph.

I personally dont hate it or like it, its just a basic accord. I do feel that its a FSP since im coming from a civic that get get to the 40's in mpg.

my friend got it for 1000, 225k miles, and had about 500 bucks worth of repairs done to it to get it running
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

civic94,

i appreciate the review. performance is not as important as FE and the 4 door comfort. this car will be mom's school taxi and grocery getter, so the 23mpg city would be welcomed.

hopefully as an added bonus, i can find one that is in good condition such that it yields better dependability than the camaro.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:19 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
What is "dealer fee"?
there's a local dealer here that does not charge a dealer fee. his competition is up in arms complaining that it is a tactic and that his fee is hidden in the price of his cars.

well, at least you KNOW the full price of the car w/out being suprised by the dealer fee!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:45 AM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post

one more question: the Z28 has been sitting untagged for a while. are we going to be penalized upon re-registering it? cetainly every state is different, but i'd like to get some clue of what laws and fines apply.
Rusty was unregistered for 3-4 years before we put it back on the road. I wasn't charged any "penalty". The DMV tried to charge me sales tax on it though. The lady said "This vehicle was marked as sold in the computer." I replied, if I sold it how do I have the original title? I explained that the vehicle was inoperable so I pulled the tags and parked it in the garage. She made me sign a statement saying that the vehicle was in storage and was not sold, then she let me register it without paying sales tax.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #10
Registered Member

the state of florida, i thought, has a fee per day, for each day a vehicle is not registered. not sure tho.