Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #61
Registered Member

Re: $20,000 gift for new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post

You haven't ever had to within a tight budget, have you?

I owned a Honda Civic and it's reliability was fantastic. And I'll bet you I make a lot less than you. I know all about living on a tight budget. No cable TV. No phone. And making a bowl of macaroni & cheese and a big salad last a week. And not turning the heat on until the middle of January or the AC on until middle of June to save electricity.

Oh yeah, I know all about squeezing a quarter out of a nickel. I've been poor. Ever tried to live on $250 a week BEFORE taxes???

VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #62
Site Team / Moderator

My roommate & I rarely turn on the a/c or heat. I work in a dry cleaners, she works in a home improvement store. Both of us are used to it being hot or cold. In the winter the heat is set on 55, and in the summer the a/c (when its on) is usually set at about 85.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #63
Registered Member

Pffftttttttt... I eat a steady diet of government cheese and live in a van down by the river!

tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #64
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
My roommate & I rarely turn on the a/c or heat. I work in a dry cleaners, she works in a home improvement store. Both of us are used to it being hot or cold. In the winter the heat is set on 55, and in the summer the a/c (when its on) is usually set at about 85.
Sounds like my ideal roomate! lol.. I don't run the heat or A/C any time of year in the house.. In the car, I run the heat only when the engine is warmed up since it's "free heat" so to speak and I only run the A/C when the ambient temperature exceeds my body temperature and I physically can't take the heat but even then I use it sparingly.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I have my limits. Heat stays off until middle of January. Then I turn it to 60. Sometimes I splurge and go for 62. A/C stays off until middle or late June. Managed to keep it off all of July last year because it was unusually cool. Still, when it starts baking here like it usually does, A/C gets set at 75. No way could I take 85 in my own home. I don't mind the cool of the winter, but I can't sleep when I'm sweating in the summer!!!

BTW, time to get this thread back on topic. Sorry for sending it astray. If you gotta have a hatchback, I'd go for the Mazda 2 or the Ford Fiesta. They look great and get great mpg. Honda Fit seems to be a crowd favorite but they look dorky to me.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #67
Registered Member

So did you ever decide what car to buy?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #68
Registered Member

I will be getting a silver 2012 Elantra mt with the AC package. It should be at the dealer sometime in late June. They are no longer making the 2011s and there are none in my area except for one bronze with beige interior which I don't care for. I will be paying about $650. under sticker, the actual pricing for the 2012s isn't available yet but mine will be about $300 more than the 2011 price. I think a louder horn is the only change on the mt! Hopefully I will get excellent fe on my commute. Time will tell. Hopefully I get the car.
schuylkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #69
Registered Member

Congratulations on your very well informed choice. Best wishes for many, many miles of safe, happy and fuel efficient driving.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #70
Registered Member

Excellent! Here's to hoping you get great MPGs!!!