2004 Renault Megane Sedan - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Supporting Member

2004 Renault Megane Sedan

Hello -

I am in Europe on a business trip and I am using a company car, a 2004 Renault Megane Sedan :

Attachment 419

Attachment 420

It took me forever to find the OBD II connection, but they actually had a panel designed to open for it. Notice the 6-speed transmission!!!
Attachment 421

Here's my ScanGauge attached to it most sloppily :
Attachment 422

Some Dimensions from the manual (were they thinking racing disks too?!?!?) :
Attachment 423

The car has a 1.9 liter dCi engine. I *think* it's a turbo, so it may not be as thrifty as I had hoped.

From the interior, it's a real step above what I am used to. Lot's of gadgets and such.

If this were my car I would be a scared because there is a clunking sound coming from somewhere in the front axle and/or steering mechanism. It happens when I turn the wheel. But gift horses and all that.

I'll post more impressions later.

CarloSW2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	renault_megane_outside.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	365   Click image for larger version

Name:	renault_megane_scangauge.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	368   Click image for larger version

Name:	renault_dimensions.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	369  
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

CarloSW2-

I for one cant wait!!! Six speed manual, a modern diesel in a sylish generic sedan. Pinch me....

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Supporting Member

BeeUU -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
CarloSW2-

I for one cant wait!!! Six speed manual, a modern diesel in a sylish generic sedan. Pinch me....
At first I thought I was getting terrible MPG because the ScanGauge was reporting .7 GPH at idle. I just realized that I was on the wrong gas setting. I have switched the ScanGauge from "gas" to "diesela" and it is now reading .2 GPH at idle, which is more along the lines of what I was expecting. I have a short run to work, but now I will be able to report "real" MPG, or LPK as the case may be.

The break is very twitchy, very responsive. I am used to pushing down more.

Even with the "clunky" sound coming from the steering, it responds well and is "European Tight" in the turns.

There are lot's of detail amenities that I am reading from the manual. The rear passenger side windows and the rear window have "pull up" light shades. There is a button at the tip of the wiper column that is a mini-scangauge. It switches between KM travelled, fuel consumed, current liters/100 KM, instant liters/100 KM, KM left to go in tank, KM travelled, average speed, KM until maintenance, and a log book?!?!?!?!?!

The only thing negative (other than the steering, which I don't blame the car for) is the smell. I think I am smelling diesel fuel constantly, in the car and in the city. I opened the hood to take a picture of the car and my fingers were covered in black soot. I wanted to impress you guys with a really cool picture of the engine, but this is all I could see :

Attachment 427

One of the things I don't know is what the price-class is of the car I am driving. I think it's just a "small car" with a nice engine, but maybe I am driving a car that is "loaded" with amenities. I have no point of reference.

To protect the driver from switching to reverse when he/she wants 6th gear, you have to pull up on a lever below the shift knob to engage reverse. I think this is a common solution for 6+ speeds, yes?

The French manual has interesting pictures too. It has a fuel economy page that tells you to be "light as a feather" on the accelerator pedal, keep your tires inflated, and to "roll down your windows" instead of using the AC at 100 KM/H. It says that AC costs 2 liters / 100 KM.

CarloSW2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	renault_megane_engine.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	372  

Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

It seems like the closest thing that we might get to this is the Accord diesel, right? I think that that Accord will be a great car, but don't know if many people here will buy it...

To me, the ring on the shifter is a VW thing. I don't think Hondas or Minis have that...
Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
*shrug*

The accord diesel will actually meet 50 state emissions though...I doubt this thing would get close to passing,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Hello -

Here are a few more pix in the light of day :

Attachment 430

Attachment 434

Attachment 432

Attachment 433

At idle I am seeing 0.3 GPH, and sometimes 0.2 GPH, so it isn't too different from my Saturn. One nice thing (assuming the ScanGauge is reading right), is that when I pull my foot off the accelerator in gear, the car shows 9999 MPG, so that implies a fuel shutoff mode.

I haven't been able to figure out the cruise control yet, but in 6th gear, I am seeing above 40 MPG @ 55 MPH.

When I look at this car (and not knowing the price), I want it. But I think if it were sold in the USA it would suffer from the "VW Effect", i.e. parts too expensive and too hard to get.

CarloSW2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	car_sidefront.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	375   Click image for larger version

Name:	car_side.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	376  
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
One of the things I don't know is what the price-class is of the car I am driving. I think it's just a "small car" with a nice engine, but maybe I am driving a car that is "loaded" with amenities. I have no point of reference.

To protect the driver from switching to reverse when he/she wants 6th gear, you have to pull up on a lever below the shift knob to engage reverse. I think this is a common solution for 6+ speeds, yes?

CarloSW2
What model is the car?

My '89 Peugeot has the ring for reverse as well. Must be a european thing.....

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

2002+ Renault M?gane Saloon

Here's a link to a UK website on the vehicle:

Used Vehicle Summary
Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
Supporting Member

RH77 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Here's a link to a UK website on the vehicle:

Used Vehicle Summary
Yup, that's the one.

Today I figured out the cruise control. In 6th gear at 61 MPG, I saw about 41+ MPG on the flat for maybe 4-5 miles (it's not far to work).

If I have time, I am thinking I will just pick a direction and see how the car does during a longer chunk of driving.

At times I hear this short "gurgling" sound coming from the engine. Some kind of liquid is doing *something*. Is this a diesel thing?

PS for bicyclists : At the stop lights, there is a cross-walk that is illegal for cars to stop at. Also, sometimes there is a "bicycle" zone behind the cross-walk. I think that this means that as cars come to a stop, they have to leave room for the pedestrians *and* the bicycles to get in front of them.

CarloSW2

Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
Registered Member

Probably the A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
At times I hear this short "gurgling" sound coming from the engine. Some kind of liquid is doing *something*. Is this a diesel thing?
More than likely it's the A/C (if equipped). I can recall the same in a couple of Fords I've driven in the past -- a Crown-Vic and an E-350 Van. Not sure exactly what part of the air-con it was -- the refrigerant lines or condenser.

RH77