Registered Member

Thumbs up 2007 Mazda 5 Touring

+ Razor-Sharp Handling
+ Great FE
+ Lots of Cargo Space

- Automatic transmission is not the best
- Bland Interior
- Love it or Leave it Styling

Introduction: Brilliant! The Mazda 5 is essentially a stretched, tall Mazda 3. Same engine, similar dash, and the road manners of a light compact. In my application, we folded the rear seat flat (which is more suited for those under 3-feet tall), and loaded up luggage for 4 and golf clubs (let me preface the cargo by the fact that I can’t golf worth a darn, but I gave it a shot – good exercise, I s’pose). Basically all things that a sedan couldn’t hold. So, we hit the road…

RH77 to Fam, “So what do you think of the Mazda?”
Fam, “I don’t know.”
“Any complaints, comments, nothing?”
“It seems to do the job.”

Later on…
“Does this have a 4-cylinder?”
“U-Betcha…”
“Not Bad…”

Translation: No complaints from anyone – we have a winner! Same from the driver – I thought it was great. More on that as we read-on.

In Europe, the “MPV” is the answer to the growing family. The maneuverability, FE, and available space for cargo or small children make it a good fit in narrow spaces and for tight budgets. Luckily, we now have that option in the U.S. Even better, there’s an available 5-speed manual! This definitely removes it from the “Mini-Van” category. We sure could use an infusion of more European-sized vehicles to cross the pond.

On the Outside: This is a puzzling combination. It looks like a tall car, but almost like a van. It’s edgy with the clear taillight lenses, squared-off lines, and sport wheels. It's a wagon, van, and car -- all at once.

Take a look at the mesh grille and sliding doors. Two seemingly opposite components on a vehicle. The windows roll down in those, by the way. So, what do you think?

On the Inside: Standard Mazda fare – nothing exciting, and perhaps a bit bland at times. The center cluster is sporty, though -- with a tach and LED that indicates your automatic transmission’s current gear (only 4 speeds, but 5 may be too much with the auto).

The gear selector is a conundrum. Most cars upshift by moving the selector forward, and downshift the manu-matic by pulling back. Not any Mazda I’ve driven. It will confuse you if you drive anything else the opposite way later. The steering wheel controls and auto-climate control add some creature comforts (a DVD sat-nav is available).

More on the interior…
The middle seats look uncomfortable, but no complaints from the older adults. Cubbies and cupholders abound. It’s a true family truckster.

…look at the cargo room back there.

The Drive: This is my favorite part of the report, as usual. Empty, the 5 handles beautifully. Sharp, even-handling and great steering response can be expected. The engine is smooth and quiet at any RPM – which implies, yes, higher RPM operation is needed. With the 4-speed, the engine turns at 3000+ RPM at highway speeds. With 4 adults and stuff, the 2.3L needed some extra revs to make the grade (literally), but you know what? That’s OK. The FE made up for it. Better yet – the 4-cylinder is the only engine offered. No V-6 to force upon the populace.

Loaded down, the sharp handling didn’t sacrifice ride quality. It was a good compromise. Around town, it drove like a car. One complaint: if you feel like downshifting at low-speed deceleration, expect a shuddering action from the transaxle. My guess is the transmission fluid pressure is weak at lower speeds. Solution: get the manual. Otherwise, brake pedal feedback was good, as was stopping distance.

Safety: You’re surrounded by airbags: curtain, etc. (standard). 4-wheel disc ABS w/BFD is standard. Stability control: not available.

Efficiency: It seemed like this higher-profile vehicle wasn’t bothered much by crosswinds. I’m not sure of the drag-coefficient, but it has to be class-leading (trick answer – not sure of what else is really in this class). Loaded-down, ~24 MPG resulted from a tank of high-speed and city driving. All-highway with just me: ~27 MPG. Truly an advantage in FE if you need the room.

Conclusion:
If you don’t need a full-sized minivan, but need to haul 4 adults and lots of stuff, 2 adults and 4 kids, 2 adults with 2 kids and lots of stuff, etc – this is the car for you! In all honesty, the handling was truly enjoyable, while at the same time, cargo capacity, satisfied passengers and good FE results make it a complete package.

You must ask the question, “Do I really need the third row or more cargo space than a sedan or 5-door?”

Raw Data:

Model: 2007 Mazda 5
Trim: Touring
Retail Price as Tested: ~ $21,000 USD
EPA Class: Midsize Wagon
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic with LUTC and Manu-Matic shifter (WOT override)
Engine: DOHC 16-Valve Inline 4-cylinder, rated at 153 HP and 148 lb-ft torque
Drivetrain: FWD
Gross Weight: 3389 lbs
2007 EPA: 22 City, 27 Highway, 24 Combined Cycle
Speed Avg: 60 MPH
Distance: ~1100 Miles
Ambient Outside Temp: 40-70F
Circuit: KC – Branson, MO – Sioux City, Iowa - KC
FE Conclusion: On-par with the EPA

For the Hypermiler: For a family of 5-6 with small children, it’s definitely a fuel-friendly vehicle. 30 could easily be cracked. The 5-speed should offer better FE and bump-start ability. The sport handling can offer good cornering for conservation of momentum.

RH77

Old 12-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

A prego 3 hatch.

The small Mazdas do handle good. My 3 is a good little sports sedan.

Big draw back for me is the Mazda 2.3L is no where close to the same class mill as the Honda K24. They don't want to give up the mpg like the Honda engine and they just are not as refined. I prefer the K24 in our Accord to the 2.3L in the Mazda. this little fact makes the Mazda fan boys mad as heck.

Since this is a big Mazda3 in away. I need to share this. It was 22f this am when I left for work in my 3. Not so much as a martial rub, squeak or clatter from the interior of the car. We got lucky with our Accord. Its not a rattle trap like so many others. But when cold like this morning it does have martial rubs until the heater gets things warmed up. Same with my Civic. Not so with my 3. I really enjoyed hearing this quite little fact this morning.

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

RH77, it's funny how people all vary on manu-matic shifting. I actually prefer the Mazda shifter method - mine's opposite and I still find the Mazda direction makes more sense. Too bad owners couldn't select which way they want their shifter to go in an easy manner.

Nice review but you missed the one major shortcoming anyone tall would find with it. The front passenger seat is absolutely painful to sit in if you have long legs, even on short trips.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

The worst thing about the Mazda 5 is the lack of a proper rear seat. It is a 4 seater with two next-to-useless jump seats, which eat into the trunk, eliminate it actually. If you have a family of 5, this thing is not going to work for you, unless your kids are toddlers and you keep cars less than 5 years.

In Europe and other markets, this vehicle comes with a proper split folding rear seat, which allows three abreast seating. The two jumpseats are also there. The reason Mazda does not offer this rear seat in North America is that they want people who need 5 seats to spend more on the lard-assed MPV with its gas guzzling V6. This was also the case when Toyota sold the Echo Hatchback (Generation 1 Yaris) in Canada - they put a hard plastic "cupholder" in the centre rear seat position so it was strictly a 4 seat car. They wanted to upsell to Corollas or the hideous Echo sedan.

It's a shame about the rear seats. This is one reason we opted for the Mercedes B Class instead. I have three kids....
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

We have an 07 Mazda5 Touring that we purchased almost one year ago. I LOVE IT. I had been researching vehicles that were family friendly yet also fuel efficient and was very disappointed in what was available. This is by far the least expensive vehicle to offer a third row. The Kia Rondo and the Toyota Rav4 with the third row option are not nearly as user friendly as the 5.

I am 5'6" and have ridden comfortably in the third row for over an hour - as long as the middle row can scoot up a little, it is more than adequate.

I did get the automatic rather than the standard transmission, which I regret now but other than that, there is not a single vehicle on the road that I would rather have that would actually be practical (sure I'd love a 2 seater convertible of some sort but as a mom hauling around 2 kids and gear, that ain't gonna happen!). I was very impressed that the side curtain airbags come standard on ALL trim levels, and that the Touring package was so well equipped that the only option we added onto that was a wind guard for the moon roof (and I had the windows all tinted to help keep cooler in the hot Southern summers).

In the year we've had the 5, we have had ZERO trouble out of it - regular maintenance and that's it. This is a phenomenal alternative for anyone tired of the constant "upsizing" of all of the other minivans. It is FUN to drive.
parker313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

My son and his wife bought a 2007 Mazda5 Touring from a local Chevrolet dealer--it was a former daily rental, and had only 13,000 miles on it. They are thrilled with it. It has sliding doors so they can get to their new baby and her stuff in the back, and there is still plenty of room for other items. They just got back from a road trip to Texas (Texas?!) from California and averaged around 27 mpg. Better than any minivan or SUV. And, it is fun to drive and easy to park. Do I sound like a salesman?
mjswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Well I dont have one, but I do work at a Mazda dealer.

I love the Mazda's, and the 5 have been great cars!!! there ARE a few places they kinda missed the boat though...

There is NO reason a small famley wagon should have 17" low profile proformance tires!!! What were they thinking?? You, you own a sports car, you can justafy the less then 20k tred wear, bad winter tracton, and almost $200 per price tag!!!

Also, seeing what other small cars are getting, I would have hopped for a few more MPG out of it.

s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1120 View Post
Well I dont have one, but I do work at a Mazda dealer.

I love the Mazda's, and the 5 have been great cars!!! there ARE a few places they kinda missed the boat though...

There is NO reason a small famley wagon should have 17" low profile proformance tires!!! What were they thinking?? You, you own a sports car, you can justafy the less then 20k tred wear, bad winter tracton, and almost $200 per price tag!!!

Also, seeing what other small cars are getting, I would have hopped for a few more MPG out of it.
You are absolutely right- 17-inch performance tires on a this type of vehicle is ridiculous. I'm sure numerous Mazda5 buyers haven't been/won't be expecting the tires to need replacement at 25k-30k miles. As you mentioned, the replacement cost is also another eye-opener.

I drive an '06 Mazda3 s 5-door, with 17-inch wheels standard, and experienced the same rude awakening when the car was barely one year old and had 31k miles (90%+ highway). I took it to a Goodyear tire store for a few basic maintenance items and only then realized the problem. Initially, they quoted me $215 per tire including installation for original equipment Goodyear Eagles. My previous car, an '02 Accord, only needed $70 Yokohamas that lasted 75k!

I finally settled on a set of Dunlop All-Season High-Performance tires that were about $530 out the door. Handling suffered slightly but was still far superior to any other car I've ever owned. The benefits, other than cost savings, were a significant improvement in ride quality, superior traction on wet roads and even a 1mpg boost in fuel economy. =)
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It seems tough to sell a car these days with reasonably sized wheels/tires. Mazda tries to sell excitement, implying speed for their whole line, with such things as their "Zoom zoom zoom" slogan, so it would make sense to use relatively low profile tires.

We've come a long way from P195/75R14.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
You are absolutely right- 17-inch performance tires on a this type of vehicle is ridiculous. I'm sure numerous Mazda5 buyers haven't been/won't be expecting the tires to need replacement at 25k-30k miles. As you mentioned, the replacement cost is also another eye-opener.

I drive an '06 Mazda3 s 5-door, with 17-inch wheels standard, and experienced the same rude awakening when the car was barely one year old and had 31k miles (90%+ highway). I took it to a Goodyear tire store for a few basic maintenance items and only then realized the problem. Initially, they quoted me $215 per tire including installation for original equipment Goodyear Eagles. My previous car, an '02 Accord, only needed $70 Yokohamas that lasted 75k!

I finally settled on a set of Dunlop All-Season High-Performance tires that were about $530 out the door. Handling suffered slightly but was still far superior to any other car I've ever owned. The benefits, other than cost savings, were a significant improvement in ride quality, superior traction on wet roads and even a 1mpg boost in fuel economy. =)
I have looked at the 5's many times, and stil might get one when the Windstar bites the big one... What I was thinking is swap on a set of the 16" wheels from the earlyer M3's. They were a nice sharp, 5spoke style, and runs common 205/55R16 tires.

s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote