2008 Smart fortwo 400 mile review - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #21
Registered Member

wasabi,

questions about the transmission. how does it work? there are paddle shifters right? do you change the gears yourself? if you do then do you have a clutch?

my wife saw one and thought it was (and I quote) "cute" which means she likes it. we are thinking of maybe getting on the waiting list but sh doesn't like to drive stick shift cars. if there is no clutch then she would be fine.

also, (and this is something to think about) if you decide you don't want to keep it, maybe we could work something out.....maybe. I am still not convinced that she would be completely happy with it but we shall see how this progresses.

thanks

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
When I bought my '81 Goldwing, I was told just to keep under about 65 or so for the first 100 miles...and don't overheat. He should be fine.

Scary story...Boattail Auburn Speedsters (circa 1935) came with a little placard on the dashboard certifying that that individual car had been driven in excess of 100mph. I wonder what procedure the owners manual gave for break-in?!?
Breakin is a funny subject, everyone thinks they know how to do it, few do.

It's a two stage process, first you have to "knock the worst off" the bores and rings to get them into shape, without welding them together... then you have to glaze them for optimum longevity.

However, with new cars, you are seldom sure what exactly the manufacturer has done, how good the manufacturer tolerances were, and what materials are in the rings. The manufacturer might recommend a certain thing, but it will be something of the safest minimum thing that people will actually stick to rather than the best way to do it for that particular engine and ring combo. It's actually possible to glaze in a motor tight and end up with worse than typical power and economy over the life of the car.

However, too late to worry about it for that Smart, if it's glazed too early, nothing will fix it but a re-hone, this is unlikely in most modern cars however.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #23

She'll be fine in it. It's an automatic clutch - still feels like you are in a manual but the clutch is pressed and depressed automatically. My wife can't drive a stick either..... The paddle shifter is standard on the Passion model - you have the option of shifting #1 Put it in "D" and go #2 Put it in manual (+ - - mode) and then you bump the console shifter for the next gear #3 same as #2 but use the paddles are used for bumping to the next upper or lower gear.

This is the ONLY car my wife ever said for me to go ahead and get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
wasabi,

questions about the transmission. how does it work? there are paddle shifters right? do you change the gears yourself? if you do then do you have a clutch?

my wife saw one and thought it was (and I quote) "cute" which means she likes it. we are thinking of maybe getting on the waiting list but sh doesn't like to drive stick shift cars. if there is no clutch then she would be fine.

also, (and this is something to think about) if you decide you don't want to keep it, maybe we could work something out.....maybe. I am still not convinced that she would be completely happy with it but we shall see how this progresses.

thanks
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #24

I've had a 100+ cars, driven millions of miles, blown one motor in all that time and never damaged a NEW car due to improper breakin. The one motor I killed, a Mercedes that was on its last leg anyway - drove too far, too fast. Way too fast - Autobahn in Germany, several hours no letting up.

The Smart will be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Breakin is a funny subject, everyone thinks they know how to do it, few do.

It's a two stage process, first you have to "knock the worst off" the bores and rings to get them into shape, without welding them together... then you have to glaze them for optimum longevity.

However, with new cars, you are seldom sure what exactly the manufacturer has done, how good the manufacturer tolerances were, and what materials are in the rings. The manufacturer might recommend a certain thing, but it will be something of the safest minimum thing that people will actually stick to rather than the best way to do it for that particular engine and ring combo. It's actually possible to glaze in a motor tight and end up with worse than typical power and economy over the life of the car.

However, too late to worry about it for that Smart, if it's glazed too early, nothing will fix it but a re-hone, this is unlikely in most modern cars however.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #25
Registered Member

I assume the trans is the same for the pure? I like the idea. I personally like a stick but my wife doesn't. I was seriously thinking about a yaris (my wife thinks that they are cute too) until she called me today about the smart car. when you did the $100 pre-order, did you get to pick colors and all? and how did you get on that orphan list.

I know I have a lot of questions but (like your situation) my wife seems to be "all in".

thanks again

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #26

Yep, the Pure has the same exact drivetrain - actually all the models have the same drivetrain. The Passion is just more nicely appointed for a price.

When I did my reservation I was able to pick colors, options, etc. My next one has a bit nicer stereo, fog lights, factory tach & clock dash pods (I added them to this one) and alarm. The only options this one came with was painted panels and safety cell - my next one won't be painted and will have the standard black safety cell.

I would suggest driving one first to make sure its what you want. There are a few out there that bought without ever test driving one. I test drove one for a few miles last year and was quite happy with it - I had reserved mine before I ever test drove it.

The orphan list - reserve first - then call the closest dealership and tell them you'd like to be added to the orphan list. The less you care about the color etc about what you want, the more of a chance you have to be driving one sooner. I waited three weeks for my orphan.

PM me and I'll answer all the questions you want. I also know of some people who bought orphans and their cars now came in so they are selling their car. Same boat I may be in if I decide not to keep it.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #27
Registered Member

Wazabi..why did you get rid of your insight??

and if it was wrecked why didn't you buy another insight?

The cars weigh the same and have roughly the same hp except the insight gets WAY better mpg..

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #28

It's been one year since I sold the Insight - I got this because it is the FIRST car the wife has ever shown an inkling of enthusiasm about and I mentioned a few posts up how many cars I've had.

I wouldn't of minded having another Insight but this is a bit more comfortable on long haul cruising and there is only one color Insight for me in my book and that is rarer than rare to find one in the condition I'd want. Once I get an armrest it'll be perfect....OK, an armrest and cruise. I'll save that for the next one as that'll be the keeper unless I keep this one for a beater.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #29
Registered Member

I still can't believe that for it's size it weighs 1760lbs...that is just too much..

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #30
Registered Member

That's what makes it slice through other cars' crush zones in a collision....

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote