2008 Smart fortwo 400 mile review - Page 15 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-12-2010, 03:48 AM   #141
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
In my experience, a couple stupid sensors die and the computer just deals with it, running fine on the data it gets from everywhere else. Then, plug in a scanner, and it takes you right to the sensor. Test the sensor, if it's bad replace it, if it's good then you get to fix a problem before it breaks other stuff (or ignore it).

I too like the simplicity of older cars, but really...even when they were new you couldn't buy them and only do oil changes for 100,000 miles, one tuneup, and then drive another 100,000 miles without a repair.

The only problem my 180,000 mile old 2002 model truck has had that wouldn't happen in an old-tech car is a fuel injection pressure leak. It runs fine and I'm getting 33% over EPA, but I have to turn the key to "On" and wait a couple seconds for the fuel pump to prime before I crank the starter.

Other problems, which would have happened regardless of technology: Wheel bearings (lots of them), an oil leak, and corroded tailgate cables.
the great thing about light cars is that all the suspension, brakes, usually last longer at least ive foudn that true with my saturn, i have had a few of em with original back breaks to 200k, if you dont beat on your breaks they last forever almost

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotaneagle View Post
the great thing about light cars is that all the suspension, brakes, usually last longer at least ive foudn that true with my saturn, i have had a few of em with original back breaks to 200k, if you dont beat on your breaks they last forever almost
Good point. In the picture above the drums aren't painted, I took that 2 weeks ago when I installed the rims. Last weekend I pulled the calipers and drums off to paint them and inspected all the associated parts. Pads and shoes are still like brand new. The smart is a little heavier than one would expect weighing in at 1840lbs. Next week I may throw it on the scales to see if it has gained any weight.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #143

Re: 2008 Smart fortwo 400 mile review

30 months of ownership - 54,000 trouble free miles at 40.4mpg!

Mileage went down because I added heavier wheels with non-LRR tires and a wider footprint. On top of that I stopped hypermiling. Driving it ver aggressively now mostly because all my trips are shorter compared to the 40-50 trips I always went on before.

Almost 3 years of ownership I still LOVE this car! After owning over 100 cars this is the longest I have ever kept a daily driver and still stayed satisfied with it. That says A LOT!

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote