Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Supporting Member

Tribor -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
arithmetic anomaly!
Have driven the Tribute over 13 k miles now and have run into a discrepancy.
The sum of all the trips (or fill ups) is over 500 miles less than the odometer.

If I divide the odometer reading by no of gallons consumed, that should yield an accurate overall mpg (of 30.1). In order to replicate this correct overall mpg, every fillup requires a pro rata adjustment to correct for the error.

Has anyone had this kind of discrepancy between the odometer total and the summation of all the trips (or fillup distances)? I'm in the process of correcting the logs.

Tribor
I assume you are using the SGII as your source for fill-up distances, yes? The SGII needs to be adjusted during your first few fill-ups before it is accurate to your car and gas tank. Because of that, I don't use it for my gaslogs. Odometers can be inaccurate too (I have one-size larger than stock tires), so I would use a GPS to calibrate your real miles :

New shoes (aka tires)
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=3699
Code:
              Car Odometer    GPS       GPS/ODO    % Correction
2007/12/01    30.4            31.2      1.0263     +2.6%
2007/12/05    31.4            32.3      1.0286     +2.9%
If I were you and if it is practical, I would add a one-time correction to your log and document what happened to the earlier logs.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks Carlos.

I haven't used SGII distances but have used trip distances reset to 0 after each fillup. Tire size is stock albeit overinflated. Have already begun a correction process will increase slightly every trip/fillup distance.

Will check odo vs gps distances.

Tribor

TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #13
Registered Member

Hybridnomics?

The '08 fwd Mazda Tribute Hybrid costs $6-7 k more than a fwd 5 spd, has no traction control, and an automatic transmission (CVT). EPA rates it at 34/30 with a 32 overall mpg. If the commute were 70++% city/urban, then maybe after 300-500 k miles, then it might pencil. But with a dominance of highway miles, the 5spd could easily be more economical given the experience I'm having (30+ mpg overall).

So with a hybrid with no tax credit, no traction control, a lower fun-to-drive experience, and predominant highway commute; it looks like we have a economic loser with a slight green edge.

No wonder dealers glaze over & don't want to hear about the bare bones 5 spd fwd being a big winner.

Tribor
Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

ScanGaugeII Setup

Hoping that you can click on attached file which shows the ScanGaugeII backlit and the data fields described here. I have customized the display data as follows:

The upper left display is instantaneous mpg (labeled MPG).

The lower left display is TPS or throttle position which varies from vehicle to vehicle. In this case the minimum is 15--idle-- and the max is 100 for full throttle. It's a good indication of how much or how little your foot is into it. You can quickly see how it's affecting the MPG above.

The upper right displays the dav or daily average mpg. It gives you the opportunity to do as well as you can on a daily basis as it zeros out overnight (I think after 8 hrs of inactivity).

The lower right displays the mav or mpg average for current tank full. What I strive to do is match or better the best one. Today, there was a fill up in the PM so "we" bettered dav of 32.0 with an mav of 32.4.

I'm sure that everyone who has programmed their scangaugeII has a little different set of ideas about what 4 data fields they want to utilize to improve their hypermiling. For me, the setup described works well.

Tribor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scanG2_jan3108sm.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1011  
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Registered Member

So it's a Ford Ranger with the drive in front and extra seats instead of a cargo bed. Sounds like a good beater for cheap. Nothing wrong with that 2.3l. It's just really old tech. Maybe it needs a turbo. I had a mustang like that once.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hey Maxx......think your characterization is a bit tractor-tech. It does have 4 wheel independent suspension. I owned an '04 B2300 truck and this rig handles and rides better and feels more responsive......and gets better gas mileage.

Tribor
Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #17

2004-07 Malibu Maxx gets better mileage, holds almost as much, can get up to 40 MPG (35 even if you're lazy) highway, LT version (luxury) version costs less than the Tribute, has traction control (and it WORKS awesome), most comfortable seats EVER, rear seats are 60/40 split and travel TWO FEET, and has a nice beefy V6, most come with DVD player, rear headphone jacks, and a host of other luxuries (we found one WITHOUT DVD or sunroof! - better FE, no wasteful DVD) - can't beat it. Haven't found an SUV that beats it yet.

Glad you can get 30 in an SUV - but can get 40 in a "soccer mom car" that will hold 5 easily, plus a ton of cargo.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #18
Registered Member

101 Mpg: I hear you, but I don't see any facts. Gas log?

Tribor
Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxgraphix View Post
Nothing wrong with that 2.3l. It's just really old tech. Maybe it needs a turbo. I had a mustang like that once.
It's been a long time, but I remember that the 2.3L engine in the Mustangs and Merkur's, related to the Pinto engine, isn't related to the Mazda/Ford pick up engine. I don't think either engine is bad.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #20

Hi Tribor,

I don't have the gas log up on this site, but I do keep records at home in a spreadsheet. It's a bit time consuming to transfer and have been ultimately busy lately - house remodel, a billion other things, etc.

Here are the highlights:
Best trip mileage at high speed - 38.5 MPG at 83 MPH across Nebraska - warm weather. Actually reset the car's computer (accurate to within 1/10 of a gallon - I lucked out on this one) for that trip for average speed.

Best MPG on a tank - 42 MPG hwy at 56 MPH average speed, 513 mile trip.
Routine commute: 125 mile round-trip commute - 35.6 MPG in rainy weather at about 40 degrees, 38.2-38.6 MPG every time if it's 50-77 degrees and clear. Have repeated this commute twice in a day three times in a week before - within .1 gallon every time, so I know it's accurate. Computer readout actually matches fill-up numbers, again, within .1 gallon.

I use neutral like it is my favorite ice cream - main basic secret.

Wife gets 24 city with leaving it in gear at lights, driving normally, and about 30-32 hwy, which is not too much over EPA estimate 19/28. I attribute some of that to the lack of sunroof & DVD player weight, only 1-2 passengers, rather than FULL, and she has paid attention and puts it neutral on a few select hills as she watches me do them routinely.

Tires are 4 PSI over sidewall, although the car does need new shoes - running at end of treadwear gives a little better mileage with the harder rubber in the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
101 Mpg: I hear you, but I don't see any facts. Gas log?

Tribor