2008 SUV that gets 30 mpg!!!!! - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #41
Registered Member

The Subaru Forrester AWD manual is rated at 27mpg hwy...I would bet that it could easily get 30mpg hwy by most anyone here.

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #42
Registered Member

Nope Snax...have the fwd 5 spd. I like the 2.3 L. It's quite torquey and quiet and clearly economical. It's a no frills machine other than traction control, stability, control, abs, decent sound system, and fog lights. No cruise control!
Picked it up for almost $1k below invoice. Now I think these no frill versions (Sport i 5spd) are very hard to find. Dealers aren't real keen on them as they detract from the appeal of the hybrid. I happen to believe Mazda hit a home run with their "Escape" with handling tweaks and lively interiors (yellow/black) for young sixty somethings such as I. So I'll dutifully read all the criticism with a smile on my face (and I swapped a Mazda3s for it so I do like to drive!).

Cheers Guys!

Tribor

TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #43
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
When I was shopping for vehicles, I was very impressed with the 2008 Jeep Patriot SUV. It's EPA rated 23/28 (though I could swear I remember it was rated 26/30 when I was shopping) and I'm sure I could squeeze 30 out of it easily.

Of course, a car-based uni-body small FWD SUV is just a station wagon with larger tires. Who cares? The selection of available wagons not described as "SUV" is pretty lame.

For the record...The Jeep Patriot is also cheap to buy and cheap to insure, and has their lifetime powertrain warranty. If I was buying instead of leasing I would have bought it, but I chose the VW Rabbit because the seating position was more comfortable and it is faster/more fun.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #44
Registered Member

Best mileage ever!

Started a cross country run from southern Oregon to the FL panhandle yesterday driving to Reno yesterday.......and on to Kingman, AZ today. Five fill ups (32.45 mpg, 36.26 mpg, 35.24 mpg, 43.03 mpg and 34.21 mpg) for an overall average of 35.31 mpg--+47% above EPA combined of 24-- for 866 miles! Very very pleased with the results. Coasted downhill from Tonapah (Elev 6000) and actually saw 60 mpg on SGII during a 164 mile run (avg 43.03)!!

Tribor
Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #45
Registered Member

That's pretty decent performance that's on par with the hybrid.

What was your average speed? Did you do any drafting?

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #46
Registered Member

Snax: Moving avg speed for first two days was around 55 and then 64+ (mostly freeway/interstate for last two days). Did some drafting but not much as it was windy. Was kind of concerned with sand blowing around (sandblasting paint and possibly slipping through the K&N!).

Overall average for 2115 miles is 34.10. I believe these fwd stick shift tribute/escapes with traction and stability control and abs are magnificent values and a bad dream for car sales people trying to sell hybrids and loaded v-6's.

Tribor
Old 05-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #47
Registered Member

I don't think we ever got that kind of FE in the AWD Hybrid model on the highway. Even our Mazda5 can barely match that on the highway with a slippery 0.29 drag coefficient. I haven't checked, but I'm betting the Escape isn't that slick, which means Ford has something figured out that Mazda either does not, or refuses to implement.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #48
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Jeep has the same thing figured out with their Patriot. It's slightly blockier looking than the Escape, and it's rated 23/28 to Escape's 22/28. The Patriot base model is at least $3000 cheaper, but I'm going to guess that the base Escape comes with way more standard features. Traction, stability, and ABS are standard on both.

Tribor, I think you're right about salespeople. I bet some other manufacturers have similar vehicles too.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #49
Registered Member

Snax: I read somewhere that the '08 Tribute/Escape was "slipprier" than the previous models.....not sure what the cd is.....but --for sure--it's well over 0.30. Very little wind noise though. I think the Mazda5--if it's at all like the 3 to drive--is more engaging to "drivers" and they--in turn--like to accelerate and shift it and there goes a few mpg! It's also heavier than the fwd 5 spd Tribute by 100+ lbs and.....it's designed to carry lots of people so more weight. My work has been driving mostly solo. My son has a 5 and 4 family members and reports consistent 27+ mpg.

theholycow: I'm sure the jeep patriot is competitive.....wonder if anyone has one here. I'd be curious to know whether a Hypermiler could squeeze comparable FE out of it.

In my current x-country adventure, have noticed very few noticeable FE efforts......have seen lots of newer PU's and larger SUV's running between 65 and 90 (guess these folks are just flush and don't need to practice FE!).

Tribor
Old 05-04-2008, 03:29 AM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
theholycow: I'm sure the jeep patriot is competitive.....wonder if anyone has one here. I'd be curious to know whether a Hypermiler could squeeze comparable FE out of it.
Me too! It's kinda weird, I'm enamored with the Patriot as an uncommonly cheap/efficient/practical vehicle, and I can't stop touting it as such even though I chose another vehicle (for speed and an interior layout that more resembles my other vehicles). I keep regretting not choosing it and then I have to remind myself that my arms weren't in comfortable places when I test drove it...

Quote:
In my current x-country adventure, have noticed very few noticeable FE efforts......have seen lots of newer PU's and larger SUV's running between 65 and 90 (guess these folks are just flush and don't need to practice FE!).
Optimum or near-optimum FE speed in those vehicles may be higher than you think (though certainly not at 90). My full size pickup has a brunty V8, with loads of power down at 1000 rpm and very tall gearing; if I want to dependably be in overdrive I can't mosey around at 55 mph.

In my experience with my particular truck, 70 is probably the most efficient speed. Even up past 80 I always beat the EPA's 2002 estimates (and far beyond the new EPA estimates).