2008 SUV that gets 30 mpg!!!!! - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #71
Registered Member

That seems quite light .....3000 lbs. My fwd weighs 3225. Anyway a 3225 lb. vehicle--5 spd manual-- with around 160 hp handling a 3200 pounder -- CVT--with 170 hp without breaking a sweat.

TrebGreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #72
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
According to autos.yahoo.com the curb weight is 3108. That goes up to 3326 for the 4wd Limited model, still with the 5 speed manual...I don't know how much weight the CVT adds.

I wouldn't give that CVT too much credit, either.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #73
Registered Member

Mine is the base model 4WD with a stick. I couldn't see spending an extra $1100 for a CVT. I don't even have power windows or locks, the only real conveniences that it came with are air conditioning and a good stereo system.

Tribor,

If the guy in the Patriot had a CVT it may very well have been the transmission holding him back. Many people seem to think that Chrysler has a better CVT than anybody else right now but there have been some recalls to get computers reflashed because of poor performance. The CVT is also adaptive and will adjust to your driving style. There was a huge difference between a fresh off the truck Patriot that I test drove and several of the others that had been on the lot for a while and been driven by a bunch of different people. It requires a different driving style.

I will say I am very happy with the little Jeep and the mileage it has been getting. I'm also looking forward to transferring cross country, it might be my first chance to use air conditioning. Not much use for that here in Michigan right now.
dm1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #74
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
As for 4x4s in ditches...4wd doesn't help braking at all, and only helps lateral traction if you stay on the gas (4 wheel powerslide, anyone?). People assume that if they can accelerate, they can steer and stop, and 4wd makes them more able to accelerate.
well.. if we are talking about awd that is not entirely true depending on how the differentials are setup. in some awd cars, you will be less likely to lock up one of the tires and have the others with traction, often times you will lock all or three, again depending on the differentials. another side effect of awd is that sometimes the car may not feel like it is "diving" forward as much again depending on the nature of the center differential.

as far as turning is concerned, in horrible traction situtations awd can be more willing to to turn while accelerating(mildly) in contrast to an open diff fwd car. while turning and even trying to maintain speed on ice the fwd car will just spin the inside tire and slow down.

i hate to say that these are not hard fast rules as there are sooo many awd configurations out there.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #75
Registered Member

dm1333: If you're getting 25 mpg around town (with or without a ScanGaugeII?), you should get 28-30 on the highway I would think.

Using the ScanGauge can make a difference of 20-30%. I put mine temporarily on a friends Lexus RX300 that had been getting 18-20 mpg. On a trip of about 100 mi, we were able to get 24-25 mpg.

Tribor

Old 04-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #76
Registered Member

I use a Scan Guage II and have been able to get 30-34 mpg on the highway. Haven't seen that in a while because of winter gas and very cold Michigan winters, but I am heading south on I-75 this weekend to pick up a shotgun so that will be a good time to check my highway mileage again.

My first service on the Jeep got done today, it took 34 minutes, cost 29.74, and the only thing they said was that I should be sure to get my tires rotated once I get to California. I had the service done about 1500 miles early since I am about to take off cross country.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1333 View Post
I use a Scan Guage II and have been able to get 30-34 mpg on the highway. Haven't seen that in a while because of winter gas and very cold Michigan winters, but I am heading south on I-75 this weekend to pick up a shotgun so that will be a good time to check my highway mileage again.

My first service on the Jeep got done today, it took 34 minutes, cost 29.74, and the only thing they said was that I should be sure to get my tires rotated once I get to California. I had the service done about 1500 miles early since I am about to take off cross country.
That's pretty amazing...to get 30-34 mpg with a 4x4

Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #78
|V3|2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribor View Post
That's pretty amazing...to get 30-34 mpg with a 4x4

a lot of cars cant do that
Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
a lot of cars cant do that
Yeah, but I drive like the proverbial little old lady! No cruise control, no power anything, and the Patriot doesn't have a transfer case. It normally runs in FWD and when you lose traction a clutch is engaged and power sent to the rear wheels. You can also pull a small handle to engage the clutch at lower speeds and keep it in full time 4WD, which is good for getting through deep snow, getting traction on really icy roads, etc. The clutch automatically disengages at 35 mph, but it will re engage if the sensors detect wheel slip. I took a hard look at what I really needed and decided that a transfer case was just extra weight. The 4WD was great this last winter in the snow and I'm sure it will come in use out west. If I want to go off roading I'll just use the Patriot to tow my quad to a riding area.

I was pretty impressed with the Escapes that I drove but couldn't find one at a price that was attractive to me. I also looked hard at some Foresters but wanted to support an American company. Silly me.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #80
|V3|2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1333 View Post
I was pretty impressed with the Escapes that I drove but couldn't find one at a price that was attractive to me. I also looked hard at some Foresters but wanted to support an American company. Silly me.
im all for it if they deserve it...

its a good thing they are finally coming around.