2012 Yaris LE 2 Door Hatch - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

2012 Yaris LE 2 Door Hatch

So we've bought a new car. It's 2012 Yaris LE 2 Door Hatch with 36,000 miles and it is a automatic. After just driving it for 4 days, it was been great so far. It has a built in active MPG/ Average MPG reading on it. So far i'm averaging 42 MPG on my first tank. And for the most part i'm getting between 47-58 MPG while using the active MPG reader.
I could do better, but there is alot of road work here with long stops. Plus it's getting really hot and humid, so I have to have my a/c going. The only complaint(and it's a small one)the seat belt isn't adjustable to go up and down. But it's not a big deal.
People ask why Toyota hasn't given the Yaris a 5 or 6 speed automatic. I don't know why, but all I can say is, if i'm averaging 42 with stop and go traffic, getting 47-58 MPG while driving highway speeds, I guess it's not needed. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

TheUnknownVlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Registered Member

Dash mpg displays can be overly optimistic. So don't be surprised if your tank mpg is different.

Toyota still has a 4 speed on the Yaris and most of the Scions because they want to maximize profits using outdated, but cheap, transmissions. The Corolla is a bigger seller than the Yaris, and it took until 2014 before it got something with more speeds than four. Even then, it has a 4 speed on the base trim.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well one way to tell for sure, is to double check it with my ScanGauge II and the results when i fill up. Stay tuned for more.
TheUnknownVlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Rented a Corolla 2012 and it was so loud-road noise I found very agrevating, not to mention radio sounded awful, really muddy sounding and I did try to adjust the bass treble but still was downright horrid. UGH!
I got just ~24-25 mpg and readout said 26.2 -28..3 mpg so it was off as well. I think most vehicles probably are. Mostly city, no better than what I drive now,.a luxury toaster on wheels.
Readout on my own vehicle said 29.4 & actual mileage was 28.9 so off a bit as well.
CowgirlinTheSand is offline   Reply With Quote