2014 Toyota Corolla LE - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #11
Registered Member

I have to admit. Being on this forum. I start thinking about a better mileage car. Then, I snap back to reality. Realize those high mileage cars aren't as comfortable as my Corolla. Seriously... Consumer Reports rated it much higher in comfort of ride than any other car in it's class. It makes me happy. It also has enough room, everywhere. Comfortable to sit in. Everything about it is very ergonomic. I drove a Nissan Versa as a rental... I had a close, personal, intimate relationship with the door. It wasn't wide enough. The Corolla has plenty of room. It's comfortable.
Only criticism I can give. When it's cold and I have to wear my Pac Boots to work. It is kinda tight at the feet. But anything is tough with Pac Boots on.

I just have to add this...somewhere on this forum.
I had decided I wanted to buy a Corolla. I passed on a new Corolla 36 years ago. I kicked myself so many times for passing on that car. It would have saved me so much money. I decided I wanted a Corolla. Just good transportation.
When I talked to my bank. Told her I wanted to buy a new Corolla. She looked at me strange and said: "Corolla? You want a Corolla? ... You don't want a four wheel drive? You don't want a truck? No SUV? .... Everybody wants that! That's all I got! .... A Corolla?!" It was funnny.
Later she told me so many people are buying these big SUV's right now. They're going to suffer when gas prices go back up.
This had to be the smartest car loan she's done....in a long time?
At the dealership. The salesman decided to be confrontational. While in the process. He suddenly yelled at me: "You drove that old Mazda for 18 years?" I said: "Well.... only the last 8. They didn't take care of it. This one should last longer." He got this horrified look on his face. .... hehe

Old 04-02-2016, 01:38 AM   #12
Registered Member

Yea the car market is very different there, not as broad as over here, there's seems to be a very limited choice. I guess the bank wants to lend you as much money as they can, it's within thier interests of course. The SUV'S over there have a reputation for drinking, over here, with lightweight technologies and efficient diesel engines, some SUV'S get better mileage than smaller petrol cars, seems insane but it's true.

It makes economic sense to keep a car for a long time, but people are encouraged to change thier cars sooner for profit reasons, if we all kept our cars for 10-15 years most car manufacturers would have gone bust along time ago. Although in the next couple of decades there's going to be a huge shift in automobile ownership, it's thought people won't own cars anymore, but just pay a monthly bill and everything is taken care of, insurance, fuel, repairs, maintenance etc etc giving cars a much longer life, and people won't have a reason to change cars. Peugeot already have something similar called "just add fuel" so the monthly lease you pay covers everything involved in car ownership, all you need to do is buy the fuel.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:07 AM   #13
Registered Member

Those big SUV's are a status symbol here. Like the Hummers. Those people love them. I view them as the biggest idiots on the road. They don't need them. They want them. And they pay.... big time.
We do have the small SUV's from Japan, also. They're good. I wouldn't consider one because the mileage wasn't near my Corolla.
Many people here. When they buy. They buy what they want. Not what they need. They will ignore what they need, to buy what they want. Very pretentious.
I remember a salesman from a Harley Dealer stating: "There is not one single item in this entire dealership that anyone needs. Everything here, they want. And they buy it."
Do you realize? During last years Rally. The Harley dealer sold 650 new motorcycles? That's for a two week period. That's ludicrous.
I worked with a guy here. He went to the Harley dealer. He wanted to buy a new Harley. He flat out couldn't afford it. So he bought a pair of Harley Boots instead. How do you spell... S...T...U...P...I...D... ?
I like that the mileage on my Corolla compares to the mileage on a Harley Hog. hehe

So many things are smarter there in Europe, England. I like how many things are done there. Just common horse sense.
Here, recently, they reintroduced a small Fiat. Had Jenny Lopez advertising it. They didn't focus on mileage for it. I can't imagine why?
Old 04-02-2016, 02:30 AM   #14
Registered Member

I'm hoping this Corolla lasts me as my last car. I can imagine using the bus in my retirement to go to the store. It's really cheap.
I remember when other manufacturers were coming out with ten year warranties on their vehicles. A politician said: I don't need no ten year warranty on my Camry. It's a Toyota. I know it will last ten years.
Many people will trade in a Toyota just because they want a new one. Just tired of the old one. Makes for a decent used car market.

I know I've seen Renault, Fiat, Peugeot, Mini, dealerships. Most of them haven't done well because people don't buy them. The market here is determined by demand. If we'd buy more varied cars. They would be here.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #15
Registered Member

Car's can be very impulsive things to buy, you have your heart set on something, ticks all your boxes and suits your needs perfectly. But they you spot that sporty one, or that extra shiny one, or that one with all that extra space, or power and before you know it, you've signed your life away to the complete opposite of what you need!

Most people reach a comfortable compromise eventually.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Registered Member

Sorry don't want to bang on, but heres a quick comparison, the Kia Ceed has a 1.0 litre engine so you expect it to be good on fuel. When Next Green Car tested it they got just 39 mpg overall. The other car is twice the size, an SUV and yet the same people on probably the same route got mid 50's MPG, and there are lots of large cars now that get great economy despite thier size, weight etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collage-1459614249452.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2071  

Old 04-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #17
Registered Member

Is that the 1.6 diesel CRV? I guess the figures are for the 2WD - we looked for one recently, and the AWD model has only just come out, we'd not be able to afford one for a year or so.
Our 9 year old 2.2 diesel CRV returns over 40 MPG as it is! The ex used to have one of the first Ford Ka, despite the size and 1.3 petrol engine, it averaged a similarly low 40s figure.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #18
Registered Member

Yes the DTEC 1.6 is very efficient and benefits from hypermiling too. I've had alot of small petrol engines, the smallest 0.8 litre, and none have ever been especially economical.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #19
Registered Member

Those small SUV's are very popular here. Wagons too. I don't know if that diesel is offered here?
I also seriously didn't want to pay more than I did. I could afford it. Just didn't want to. My payments are only $265 a month. I like that.
I do have to admit. I'm more than happy with my comfortable compromise. By the looks of the computer. I'm certain I'm up to 35mpg for this tank. Have to wait another week to fill up. I'll keep working on it, like you said. Also the Pirelli's should add one or two mpg. I'm thinking I'm gonna be overwhelmingly happy with my daily driving mpg.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #20
Registered Member

I don't mean to simply carry on. Since this is a review thread. I thought I should sum it up. Also since many of these 2014's are being sold now. From leases that ended.
From Consumer Reports...
Corolla is last in it's class on 'fun to drive.'
Corolla is first in it's class on 'nice to drive'. By far.

I have to agree with them. A Corolla is the car one would buy if he wants the driving and comfort of a larger car. But also wants gas mileage. No, it isn't super roomy. But enough room to be comfortable. Not lacking at all. CS states it isn't quite the ride of a Camry. I would say only 'not quite'. It is very very nice though. Plenty to make this truck driver happy with comfort after a day of that truck.
On the mileage.... Yes the Camry/Accord both rival the Corolla in rated mileage. This car responds much to how you drive it for mileage. Moreso than any car I've ever driven. Without having to poke down the road. I'm looking realistically at 37 to 38 mpg on daily driving. That's 60% city. Once I get my fuel, tires, and driving down. Could even be better? I'll have to see.

All in all. I think Toyota has developed the Corolla to be a wonderful car. It's for comfort, mileage, and dependability. Not to be 'fun to drive'.