96 thru ... Civic Hatch - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

96 thru ... Civic Hatch

Hey,
I'm new to the board and I'm quickly realizing I need to make my Jeep into a weekend only rig.

Anyone running a 96 to 99? Civic hatch back 5 speed? My wife had one and it was a great little car, although hers was and auto. I'm thinking about getting another one as my hypermiler. So...

What kind of difference in real life mileage is there between the CX and DX? What are their respective weights. Anyone ever made one into an HX civic hatch, and was it worth it? Basically any good info on whether this would be a good car to make into a great hypermiler and run for a while?

Thanks all

Old 07-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

I have a 98 DX, you can see the mileage ive been getting in my profile (kingfisher) I like the car, although i really need to stiffen up the suspension. But as of now it is my cheapo commuter car, and i have little money for upgrades. The DX weighs in @ 2200lbs, not sure about the CX. one of the nice thing about 90s civics is many of the car parts are compatible. I like the car, and its returning mid 40s consistently for me, good luck in your search.

Baranfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

My DX sedan weighs 2300lb. It's a great car. You won't be sorry getting one of these.

I looked up some details:
- a hatch = lighter weight than sedan
- CX hatch is lighter weight than the DX hatch
- CX hatch has a taller final drive ratio, which lowers cruising rpm. That's my biggest gripe with this car, the crazy-high rpm in top gear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_c...281996-2000.29
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=71070
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

I just bought a '97 CX hatch with a 5-speed and 177,000 miles. It more than doubles the mileage of 4x4 Tacoma which has been demoted to weekend use. My first tank was 42.5 mpg, but it has dropped a little below 40 recently. I would have try really hard to get below 35 mpg.

The CX is a true 'stripper', no power steering, no ac (although it must have been an option because mine has it), minimal sound deadening, no wheel covers, no stock radio, no tachometer, etc.

It's the same engine as a DX sedan/hatch but it does have a transmission built for high mpg.

You can swap in almost any parts from Civics or even Integras, even earlier body styles. A used muffler off a '95 hatch bolted right up.

A few things to look for though. The exhaust systems are notoriously bad (at least in the Northeast where I am) so check that out. Also the headlights fade and go yellow which not only makes the lights dimmer at night but also looks really bad. Other than that, parts are cheap and easy to find and they are easy to work on.

Like PaleMelanesian said, you can't go wrong with one of these. Good luck.
AK97CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Exhaust: Yes. Mine is replaced from the cat to the muffler. The muffler is still ok, though. Also check for cracks in the manifold right off the engine, where the O2 sensor goes.

Headlights: Yes. Mine are turning yellow.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Right on guys, good tips.

I'm gonna try and hold out for a CX hatch 5spd; but the market up here for unmolested or rust free ones is limited.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Sometimes you can clean the headlights with compound and or wax and make them better, just like faded paint.

regards
gary
Old 07-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

That's some good mileage you guys are getting there. I have yet to get consistent 40's in my 96 hatchback but then again I had an EX engine and transmission (3000 rpms at 70 mph). Right now I have a VTEC-E engine with a VX transmission that I can barely get high 39mpgs with going 70 on the freeways. Are you guys hypermiling?
GasSavers_grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Registered Member

RIDE has a VX, so it almost hypermiles itself, besides his own technique.

I hypermile mine to the extreme. Take all the tips here and at ecomodder and at cleanmpg, I use them. All of them. I also haven't seen 70mph in months, although your VX transmission should help with that.

(but only close-in drafting for a moment when a truck pulls in ahead of me, and then he's off to the races and leaves me behind)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

MFR, where do you live? I'm in Upstate NY just outside Albany and the place I bought my CX only deals in older, clean but usually high mileage Honda's and Acura's. He has 4 Civic's right now, no hatchbacks though.

I also saw this one in NH, doesn't look too bad.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...er_id=54681720

AK97CX is offline   Reply With Quote