Chevy Aveo, why not spring for a Fit? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Lots of car companies have big failures like that. Look at the recent Toyota Tacoma rust issue.
http://jalopnik.com/376911/rusty-toy...-150-the-value

You'd think that by the year 2000 they would have figured out rust as well as other companies (like GM) have...
yup, all car companies have major failures but thats how we get ahead in technology. yea gm made some cruide cylinder deactivation in the late 70's and iit flopped but today we have it and it works great!

but yes i will say that toyota still hasnt figured out rust issues (frame wise) on thier trucks...

i can find the most rusted out 70-80's silverado/blazer but i can gurantee the frame will be solid and the engine will run.

btw they did figure out how to stop body rust- make the whole car of plastic!

dont wanna know what 20 years brings when most of todays cars are turning into antiques, how nice they will look body wise but subframe wise a total rusty mess

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
btw they did figure out how to stop body rust- make the whole car of plastic!
yea thats all good and nice, but a little rust down the road is better than having a big hole in your fender from someone opening their door into the side of your car...

Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #43
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdubl View Post
what about the new focus? i drive a 2000 focus and will be buying a new car probably with in the next year or 2. i've liked my focus and i think the new ones look pretty slick. has anyone driven one?

i also have a think for the geo metro
My did just bought a new Focus sedan with the 5 speed about 2 months ago. Nice little car. Dad loves the Microsoft SYNC... He uses the car with the cell phone and his MP3 player.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman667 View Post
yea thats all good and nice, but a little rust down the road is better than having a big hole in your fender from someone opening their door into the side of your car...
yea or if it cracks the whole fender has to be fixed not like a dab of bondo...

i wonder whats going to happen to the plastic fenders and such in 30 years, cuz 30 years ago they had plastic/rubbery "bumper fillers" (went between steel bumper and car) and id say most of them that exist today are cracked/brittle as thin glass...

in 30 years when someone wants to restore a car of today, its not like you can find a fender or a door with some surface rust that can be cleaned primed and painted and look good as new again...(not to mention the billions of car specific engine parts/tranny parts, etc)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #45
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
yea or if it cracks the whole fender has to be fixed not like a dab of bondo...

i wonder whats going to happen to the plastic fenders and such in 30 years, cuz 30 years ago they had plastic/rubbery "bumper fillers" (went between steel bumper and car) and id say most of them that exist today are cracked/brittle as thin glass...

in 30 years when someone wants to restore a car of today, its not like you can find a fender or a door with some surface rust that can be cleaned primed and painted and look good as new again...(not to mention the billions of car specific engine parts/tranny parts, etc)
Yeah, those plastic filler panels are cracking, and large portions of them are missing on my Buick.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:12 AM   #46
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
We've had this discussion before in another thread. I posted this picture of my Buick:

Others pointed out that the plastic formula and/or paint technology has improved and modern automotive plastic may not be subject to the same issue.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 AM   #47
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
We've had this discussion before in another thread. I posted this picture of my Buick:

Others pointed out that the plastic formula and/or paint technology has improved and modern automotive plastic may not be subject to the same issue.
That looks a lot like mine does...

-Jay

Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK97CX View Post
I wish that Chevy/Ford, etc. could make a car that stacks up to Hondas and Toyotas. I'm all for buying American but not if I get a sub-par product.
You already are
GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #49
Registered Member

'Already are' what?
AK97CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #50
Registered Member

I think the americans make SEVERAL cars that can compare to Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas.

I also think The japs have a few cars that are just as terrible as some American cars.

That being said, I think the japanese ON AVERAGE make better cars than the americans.

Ford's fleet vehicles have amazing engineering in them, and are extremely easy to work on and replace parts in a shop environment. Sure there's a few specialty tools involved, but every company has a few of those and it's all for the better in the long run.

The cummings diesels are amazing. Perdiod. As far as diesels go they're one of the best truck variety ever made.

The cobalt is a well made car and a worthy sucessor to the metro imo. If fuel prices start to rise, I expect to see a 50+mpg cobalt for sale for a very reasonable price.

The main issue with american cars, is where they choose to spend their money. Usually american car's interiors are utterly terrible. They make you feel like you're in a disposable vehicle.

Another thing to consider, is that we pay more for American cars than most other countries. In the UK, american cars are cheaper than any Japanese or European car. Why do you think the Focus is SO sucessful over there? It's very cheap, and it's a LOT of car for your money.

The only cheaper cars on a consistant basis around the world are the south american and korean vehicles. In the UK, a mustang (with a V8) is in a league of it's own for performance/price ratio.

And as for Japanese mistakes?

Toyota Echo anyone?
Origonal Honda CRV (americans were the only ones stupid enough to buy them)
Honda Passport
Nissan Pathfinder
Nearly ANY FWD Nissan of the 90's

There's more that I'm unaware of too I'm sure. All companies have their good and bad vehicles, only biased fanboys can't see that.

Oh, and as stated in this thread, the Aveo is FAR from american. It's as korean as korean comes. Don't blame American companies for buying bad products and trying to sell them to you. That's like blaming someone for infomercials. Someone is buying the product, someone is making money.

GasSavers_Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote