Courier recommendations - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
SUV? Does the worse mileage appeal to you? A sedan or coupe can't handle the job?
You ain't seen some of the roads I've run deliveries on, we're talking the type that you find by using a satellite map and the street grid. I've taken my van off roading a few times, so I'm kinda hoping to find something that can handle the occasional hints of a road when necessary, a full bore SUV is definitely out, but I'm hoping I might find a small SUV or a CUV that'll improve on what I have both in mileage and capability.

As to the seating position, that's a plus, but not a big thing, I adapt very well.

Javarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #12
Registered Member

Samurai with an old VW diesel ftw!

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
Registered Member

Wonder how good those old 2WD Postal Jeeps did with the 4 bangers.

Then there's the Jeep Cherokee 4BT diesel swaps...

Diesel is probably gonna drop back again in the summer, it's the competition with heating oil that makes the price jump up in winter.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hmmm actually they probably don't do that good, the postal jeeps, think 20mpg is seen as "good" for them and a 4 banger 2WD 4 speed cherokee will do better than that (25ish or better)
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Registered Member

or just find car with lots of clearance (most likely 80's stuff) too new and they have freakin plastic crap hangin down in the front
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
Registered Member

My suggestions would be along the lines of a Toyota Tercel Wagon 4WD or an older 4WD Subaru hatch or wagon, the pushrod ones with the spare under the hood.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Registered Member

Old Peugeots are regarded as desert capable (504s, 404s...) but I don't think they're any better on gas than 2WD Cherokees.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #18
Supporting Member

Javarod -

I doubt you could find one easily, but a Subaru Brat or Subaru Justy might fit your bill. Maybe, the smallest Subaru you can find?

One person on this website has a 4WD Subaru Wagon that is running in 2WD mode by accident. It's an automatic that had a problem. A mechanic pulled a fuse, and wa-la, it's a 2WD :

U R A BUS
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/710
Quote:
Year: 1997
Make: Subaru
Model: Legacy
Trim: L Wagon AW
Vehicle Type : Gasoline
Curb Weight: 3200
EPA City: 20
EPA Highway: 27
EPA Combined: 23
Description
2.2L, 4 cylinder, Automatic
180+k miles
Cd 0.37
Broken AWD (There's a very small black cap labeled FWD under my hood - looking at the car head on it's in the upper left corner. I put a spare fuse in that, and on my dash there's a light that says FWD now)
With this model, you could have a switch. If you need 4WD, stop, turn off car, flip a switch that restores the circuit and the fuse, start the car, go 4WD.

I actually saw a Brat a few weeks ago. One of my favorite cars of all time.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
Registered Member

I've heard that the old Mercedes W123 models are much favoured in former eastern bloc countries due to their ability to suck up rough and unmade roads. So a 240D or 300D could have you couriering in style. Unfortunately the secret is out for these, and good condition ones will fetch $5K despite age.

I also would have thought Volvos would also be built fairly tough for rural Scandinavian use.

Edit: Eagle Summit wagon seems to do about the same as the Subarus too

Kinda hard to see anything "rugged" that's gonna break about 25mpg. If you were gonna plump for a new vehicle, I'd say go take a look at the Jeep Patriot as well as CR-V, RAV-4, etc looks like getting better mileage than both of those and is probably gettable cheaper (apart from it's new, so I don't know how much negotiation under sticker is possible)
Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Ok, I don't think I've been fully clear what I need. Basically I need something with at least decent if not great mileage and durability. While the roads I do should be passable by cars, they're not pretty, and something with better ground clearance and durability would be a good idea.

That said, neither 4WD nor AWD is needed, but as long as they won't have too negative an effect on mileage. From experience, I was able to pull 20 to 25 MPG on a fuel injected Samurai, and about 5 MPG more on my Sidekick, both four wheel drive, so that could improve. Dunno how mileage is with some of the cross over vehicles like the RAV 4 or CR-V.

This might all wind up being moot though, a local Kia dealer is advertising two Rios for $282/mo, which is a really nice deal, actually cheaper than the payments on my Venture.

Javarod is offline   Reply With Quote