How about a Saturn? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
FE nut

For best FE, you want a SOHC 5-speed. The reason is that the DOHC cars have transmissions with lower gears and the revs at highway go up by 500-600 rpm's. If you were going to get a DOHC you would want to swap in a tranny from a SOHC.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

If you wind up with a DOHC, you can also do just a 5th gear swap Like carloSW2 (can be done in car in short order): http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....;225th+gear%22

It would help out on the hiway anyway.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
Supporting Member

The wagons are a something of a cult classic. There well loved, especially the 5 speeds. Wait patiently for a smoking good deal. The only disadvantage a wagon has is a slightly higher CD. .36 compared to the .31 of the sedan.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #14
Supporting Member

diamondlarry -

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
For best FE, you want a SOHC 5-speed. The reason is that the DOHC cars have transmissions with lower gears and the revs at highway go up by 500-600 rpm's. If you were going to get a DOHC you would want to swap in a tranny from a SOHC.
Yes, I think any S*1 SOHC would be your best setup. Check to see that it doesn't have power steering (maybe that's a given with the S*1s?).

The other day in a parking lot I saw a grey SL1 with stickshift and UNPAINTED bumpers. I actually *want* unpainted bumpers because that's a sign of a barebones Satty.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
diamondlarry -

Yes, I think any S*1 SOHC would be your best setup. Check to see that it doesn't have power steering (maybe that's a given with the S*1s?).

The other day in a parking lot I saw a grey SL1 with stickshift and UNPAINTED bumpers. I actually *want* unpainted bumpers because that's a sign of a barebones Satty.

CarloSW2
All Saturns came with power steering from what I've learned. Unpainted bumpers on 2000's an up aren't available. The SL and SL1 came with painted bumpers from 2000 on.

As to SOHC vs DOHC, yes, get the SOHC for FE. As for a 5-speed, be careful, 2000 and 2001 had issues with a Quill Bearing. Had to have my tranny rebuilt twice for $1,100 each. Ouch. Auto's have the same top gear ratio as manuals too.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #16
FE nut

My first Saturn('97 SL1) didn't have power steering.

skewbe, thanks for the tip on the 5th gear swap. My son may be interested in doing this swap. He was pulling 60+ tanks this past summer. With this swap he may get close to 70.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #17
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdieTurbo View Post
All Saturns came with power steering from what I've learned. Unpainted bumpers on 2000's an up aren't available. The SL and SL1 came with painted bumpers from 2000 on.

As to SOHC vs DOHC, yes, get the SOHC for FE. As for a 5-speed, be careful, 2000 and 2001 had issues with a Quill Bearing. Had to have my tranny rebuilt twice for $1,100 each. Ouch. Auto's have the same top gear ratio as manuals too.

Just my 2 cents worth
Really, well I was kinda worried about this. I wonder if the 02 is better or if we just haven't heard about them failing yet.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #18

I had a SW2 with an auto tranny. This was back in my days of VERY aggressive driving. I fried the tranny in 12k miles. I just "gave away!", yes GAVE AWAY! three weeks ago an '01 SL2. Had a front pump seal leak, I didn't feel like pulling the motor to fix it - it also had a VERY leaky sunroof. My brother gave me the car because he knew I was capable of fixing it though I told him what I was going to do with it - steal the leather seats for the street rod. In the end, I didn't have the heart for it. A buddy only has gas guzzlers and drives 60 miles one way to work everyday so we gave it to him. We owed him one.

Also, back when I had my SW2 - had a screen name with SW2 in it - you wouldn't believe the gay guys that constantly PM'ed/IM'ed me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
If you wind up with a DOHC, you can also do just a 5th gear swap Like carloSW2 (can be done in car in short order): http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....;225th+gear%22

It would help out on the hiway anyway.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
Supporting Member

OdieTurbo -

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdieTurbo View Post

Just my 2 cents worth
Yes, the infamous quill bearing. I was quoted $1800 at the Saturn Dealer, so I went "into the wilderness" and found my mechanic on the advice of a good friend. He did it for $1100. If I hadn't found him, I would have probably switched to a new car.

It sucks have no car-mechanic skillz, .

CarloSW2

Old 11-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #20
Supporting Member

Wazabi -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post

Also, back when I had my SW2 - had a screen name with SW2 in it - you wouldn't believe the gay guys that constantly PM'ed/IM'ed me!
Oh great. Haven't been PM'd yet. At least at the Saturn site, it makes sense. The wifey is gonna laugh her butt off when I tell her.

CarloSW2