Nano in the US - any takers? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Nano in the US - any takers?

So estimates are for about three years before the Tata Nano may come the US (requires changes to meet US requirements - particularly safety). Is this a vehicle anyone here would consider buying? I'd want to see the final performance info personally (the US Fortwo changed a lot).

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

I just read an article about it. I would drive one. there again, my first car was a 3-cyl metro so no power doesn't bother me that bad. 2k for a car, maybe 4k by the time the epa gets done with it.

I would so buy one of those cars.

the US version will probably have a dozen air bags.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

61 mpg highway for a car so inexpensive would be attractive. Even at 6k it'd be interesting. I'm a little worried about long term quality and parts availability, but those are no-brainer concerns. It'd be cheap enough that I'd be willing to modify it a lot more.

I read an interesting article talking about how they approached the car: start with a price their audience could afford and work backwards, rather than figuring out a production price and adding a profit margin. Real back to basics, Model-T stuff.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

did you see anything about top speed? I'm just curious to see if it will do highway speeds (60 or so)

I wonder about other limitations. I read that the hatch isn't actually functional so storage is hard to access.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
did you see anything about top speed? I'm just curious to see if it will do highway speeds (60 or so)

I wonder about other limitations. I read that the hatch isn't actually functional so storage is hard to access.
Here's a bit I found:

Launching the Nano on Monday, Tata Motors said that the car would deliver a fuel efficiency of 23.6 km per litre and have a top speed of 105 km per hour.

The company claimed that the car would reach a speed of 60 km in 8.3 seconds.

Nano will also come with an 18-month or first 24000 km warranty.

Not much of a warranty.

Do you have a link for that trunk info?

This link's interesting about some of the design and distribution decisions.

Article makes me wonder: nano kit car?

co de pen den cy

Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

My largest concern is that if a car is too cheap it will pretty much be a "disposable" item. People may rag on my Buick, but most people would have gone through 3 - 5 new cars in the time I've had it. Think of what was saved by proper maintenance, and a sturdy design. The energy and emissions required to manufacture 5 cars has been saved. Not to mention the fact that the car is cheap to own and maintain because parts are cheap.
-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Longevity is definitely my chief concern. Sounds like they're making a real attempt to keep is simple, though. That might aid repairs. Well, we'll have a few years of real world testing to look at by the time it'll even be an option in the US.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I saw pictures of the interior of that thing. If they don't beef up those seats countless numbers of them will be broken with fat American asses. With a top speed of 60 I'll be very interested to see just how much people are willing to give up in order to save fuel.

Anybody else think the front of it looks like Kip from Futurama?

Now don't get me wrong. I'd definitely buy one. Stick a turbocharged Hyabusa engine under the hood and you've got a screamer!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Registered Member

That works out to more like 65 mph, but who knows how practical that'll be). I do 50-55 on the highway myself. If it weren't for podcasts, I don't think I'd be so willing.

The ultimate teenager car? Cheap, doesn't go to fast, and too small to have sex in!

co de pen den cy

Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Longevity is definitely my chief concern.
Really? Safety would be mine.

Quote:
India has 8 per cent of the world's vehicle fatalities and less than 1 per cent of its cars, with more than 90,000 people killed on the country's roads every year. Introducing a million Nanos into the mix may bring more - and unwelcome - headlines.

Tata, which has the only crash-test facility in the country, said that the Nano "exceeds current regulatory requirements". And while it is not a deathtrap - it has crumple zones, seat belts and strong seat anchors - it is worth bearing in mind that total vehicle crash testing (rather than just frontal impact), airbags and antilock braking systems are not mandatory.

Without these, the Nano would not even be considered for approval in Britain. Adding them would double its price in India, which is why they have been omitted.
Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle3168303.ece

------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
The ultimate teenager car? Cheap, doesn't go to fast, and too small to have sex in!
LOL! That so true!

GasSavers_NovaResource is offline   Reply With Quote