Pickup mileage? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Ok, looks like a pickup will work well, with these kind of numbers:

1996 Chevy/GMC/Isuzu: 20/27mpg

After all, the current ride is rated at 21/28MPG and getting 33.84, so if we get that lucky again, it'll work out nicely.

Now, how to configure it, I think a regular cab is too small for someone like me, 5'12 and all legs, so either the extended or crew cab, do either of them effect the mileage aside from weight?

And how to cover the bed, cap (http://www.unicovercaps.com/fibergla...i-I/index.html), tonneau cover (http://www.unicovercaps.com/fibergla...lid/index.html) or maybe a hatch cap (http://ecomodder.com/imgs/sculptair1.jpg), what'll get the best mileage? Assuming I can find a commercially available version of that last one, also should I go with plastic/fiberglass, or aluminum for the weight?

Javarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

The extra weight comes off the useable payload, so be wary of that if you think you're gonna need it.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarod View Post
Now, how to configure it, I think a regular cab is too small for someone like me, 5'12 and all legs, so either the extended or crew cab, do either of them effect the mileage aside from weight?
(emphasis added)

LOL... Most people call 5'12" six feet...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Registered Member

LOL im 6'4" with the front seat all the way back i fit comfy in my reg cab 95 s-10...

granted with another person theres not much interior space left but thats what toneau covers are for
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarod View Post
Ok, looks like a pickup will work well, with these kind of numbers:

1996 Chevy/GMC/Isuzu: 20/27mpg

After all, the current ride is rated at 21/28MPG and getting 33.84, so if we get that lucky again, it'll work out nicely.

And how to cover the bed, cap (http://www.unicovercaps.com/fibergla...i-I/index.html), tonneau cover (http://www.unicovercaps.com/fibergla...lid/index.html) or maybe a hatch cap (http://ecomodder.com/imgs/sculptair1.jpg), what'll get the best mileage? Assuming I can find a commercially available version of that last one, also should I go with plastic/fiberglass, or aluminum for the weight?
gte a regular cab, 4 banger 5 speed reg bed (or long bed, comes in handy)

then get a regular ol toneau cover. the toppers are ok but dont help mpg...

plastic would be cheapest and lightest, fiberglass 2nd best (cracks and bows ive heard) and aluminum last cuz thier expensive. now soft top ones id stay away from the zippers/button kind. personally id stay away from all soft toppers cuz they dont offer any protection whatsoever...
Old 07-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post

plastic would be cheapest and lightest, fiberglass 2nd best (cracks and bows ive heard) and aluminum last cuz thier expensive. now soft top ones id stay away from the zippers/button kind. personally id stay away from all soft toppers cuz they dont offer any protection whatsoever...
I agree that snap ones are bad, I've never seen a zipper one but I can see that going bad real quick. I've got a rail kind and it's secure as can be and hte physics work better to keep it on. no you can't put things on top of it but it's weatherproof. if you're thinking about theft protection... a hard top is easier to get into than the cab.

as for the height thing, I'm 6-4 and mostly leg too and my 87 regular cab bench seat has plenty of space as long as I'm not trying to lay sideways. My 96 ranger regular cab was smaller inside I think...
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
Registered Member

well soft top sif they know theres something in em they just take a knife to em, hardtops you can buy locking ones.

ooh also get a solid back window, only way to enter thru it is by breaking it instead of taking a fine screwdriver to the middle latch on a sliding window...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornburg View Post
(emphasis added)

LOL... Most people call 5'12" six feet...

Yeah, but I love seeing people's brains come to a screeching halt when I say it this way.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post

Nods, "Yeah, I was thinking material in terms of the toppers, you see some cheap looking aluminum (at least I think they are) toppers. I was reading a link on another thread explaining that caps don't help that much because the square back creates a vacuum that drags down the mileage. I like that hatch cap ifn it ever goes into regular production, done right apparently it is very good for mileage, and I like the look. Well, looks like later in the year we'll be truck shopping, thanks for the help."
Old 07-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #20
Registered Member

Last post was done in a rush, so lets run down the plan. Since I like Chevys, my plan is to get a 4cyl/5spd short bed, extend cab (we will try a regular first) S series pickup. I like the look of the Isuzu best followed by GMC and finally Chevy, but I'm not all that picky. It'll definitely need AC (115˚ is a common summer temperature here), tinted glass ifn its an extend cab, and either a hard tonneau cover, or a hatch cap ifn there's one available by then. I would like key less entry, its nice to be able to lock up my car every time, but with how often I get in and out, relying on the key is annoying, and there's the risk of accidentally breaking it. In my favor is that unless my car dies, I'll be in no rush to buy, so I'll be able to shop for the best deal. Weight capacity isn't a huge deal nor is bed size, but a Kia Sephia is just barely getting the job done, and with similar gas mileage, switching to a pickup is just good business sense.

Planned mods are obviously the tonneau cover, also side skirts for the rear wheels. Is it possible to fill the gap between the bed and cab, and is it worth the bother? Also what about lowering the truck, a small loss of carrying capacity isn't a problem, so long as the clearance is enough to keep it from scraping.