Pickup mileage? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My 2002 full size has a rubber or plastic piece between the bed and the cab. It's probably about 6 inches from the side of the truck, and doesn't quite fill the gap, but I suspect that it's either to keep water or air from coming in between. I can't find a picture, but if you want I'll try to remember to take one tomorrow.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarod View Post
Last post was done in a rush, so lets run down the plan. Since I like Chevys, my plan is to get a 4cyl/5spd short bed, extend cab (we will try a regular first) S series pickup. I like the look of the Isuzu best followed by GMC and finally Chevy, but I'm not all that picky. It'll definitely need AC (115˚ is a common summer temperature here), tinted glass ifn its an extend cab, and either a hard tonneau cover, or a hatch cap ifn there's one available by then. I would like key less entry, its nice to be able to lock up my car every time, but with how often I get in and out, relying on the key is annoying, and there's the risk of accidentally breaking it. In my favor is that unless my car dies, I'll be in no rush to buy, so I'll be able to shop for the best deal. Weight capacity isn't a huge deal nor is bed size, but a Kia Sephia is just barely getting the job done, and with similar gas mileage, switching to a pickup is just good business sense.

Planned mods are obviously the tonneau cover, also side skirts for the rear wheels. Is it possible to fill the gap between the bed and cab, and is it worth the bother? Also what about lowering the truck, a small loss of carrying capacity isn't a problem, so long as the clearance is enough to keep it from scraping.

yea isusu hombres are hard to find, id go with sonoma or s-10.

and you know you can lock the door then close it right? but newer s10's have all that power fancy crap.

ive put 900-1000 lbs of stuff in my s-10 before and drove just fine.

side skirts on a rough bottomed truck prolly wont do much (especially since the body is a good foot off the ground)

if you fill the gap it will have to be flexible, trucks flex more than you would think when turning/bumps. even then i doubt it would do much because of previous statement

lowering the truck does get better mpg and with the s-series you can lower it 5/7 (5 inches in the front 7 in the back) but then you have about 3 inches of clearance between road and frame. it can be lowered that much with spindles and lowering springs and leafs and blocks in the rear for about, safe bet of $3-400.

can lower it 2 inches with just spindles and blocks for $175 + shipping i DO know that

tons of different toneau covers and whatnot and a huge aftermarket area.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
yea isusu hombres are hard to find, id go with sonoma or s-10.

and you know you can lock the door then close it right? but newer s10's have all that power fancy crap.

side skirts on a rough bottomed truck prolly wont do much (especially since the body is a good foot off the ground)

if you fill the gap it will have to be flexible, trucks flex more than you would think when turning/bumps. even then i doubt it would do much because of previous statement

lowering the truck does get better mpg and with the s-series you can lower it 5/7 (5 inches in the front 7 in the back) but then you have about 3 inches of clearance between road and frame. it can be lowered that much with spindles and lowering springs and leafs and blocks in the rear for about, safe bet of $3-400.

can lower it 2 inches with just spindles and blocks for $175 + shipping i DO know that

tons of different toneau covers and whatnot and a huge aftermarket area.
Nods, "Yep, but I still have to use the key to unlock it, and with getting in and out a good 40+ times a day, chances of breaking a key off in the lock are high. That and that even though it takes a second or three to lock/unlock the doors, those due add up. Don't need much fancy power stuff, electric locks and A/C are the only two things that I want, and only the latter is a requirement, anything else, who cares."

"I'm thinking the side skirts in combination with the lowering. Also with the lowering, I don't want it that far down, just shave a few inches (2-4) off the height. Hmm, I'd known they flexed, wasn't sure how important that was, plus what about something like an inflatable barrier, something that would flex to a degree, but also fill the gap?"
Javarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #24
Registered Member

ehh doubt filling the gap does anything...

probably cant get power locks and manual windows, prolyl has to be PL and PW.

according to the haynes manual and autozone sites you can find s-10's without power steering...IVE never seen nor heard of one but the parts are listed...
Old 07-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Besides the chance of breaking off a key, worn key cylinders are REALLY easy to break into -- just use any key from the same manufacturer and era. Google around for it, it's very common for people to find that other keys operate their locks. I've tried it and it doesn't work for me, and I think it's because my key cylinders aren't worn as I usually use keyless.

You probably won't find power locks without power windows, but you could certainly get it either way and replace parts until you have the configuration you want. Universal lock actuators are cheap on eBay, or there's always the junkyard (see http://www.car-part.com) for OEM manual window parts. Once you have power locks, a keyless entry system can be had for $30 or less and is not difficult to install.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #26
Registered Member

well gm used alot of the same key cyl so my s-10 keys could open other peoples s-10's...

word of advice, DO NOT run the tank much below a 1/4 tank, it will burn up the pump(dunno why but their pretty suspectable to being burnt up if theres routinely low gas in the tank)
Old 07-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
word of advice, DO NOT run the tank much below a 1/4 tank, it will burn up the pump(dunno why but their pretty suspectable to being burnt up if theres routinely low gas in the tank)
Giggles, "Gee, means I'm going to have to change my style, more than once I've pulled the car or the van into the gas station with as little as a half gallon in the tank."
Javarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #28
Registered Member

I guess they did better on their key cylinders in later years. My 2002 GMC won't be opened by other GM keys and its key won't open other GMs, at least the two or three I tested with.

Running down to fumes is bad for any fuel pump, but possibly worse for GM truck fuel pumps. I know mine died somewhat early at ~120,000 miles (IIRC) due to my habit of running it down to nothing.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #29
Registered Member

What about an air dam? Can be done for cheaper and easier than lowering. Plus, depending of material seletion, you wouldn't worry about the occasional scrape.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #30
Registered Member

well if you can find a chevy xtreme, its already lowered, and has a body kit (air damn ,side skirts and little side skirt things after the rear wheel)