Pickup mileage? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Nods, "An air dam could work, I've nothing against it, I'm thinking that a lowering kit will help the handling and ease loading, plus depending on the age and mileage of the truck, refreshing the suspension might be a good idea any how, so much of this expense wouldn't be unique to the lowering job."

"Was thinking of one other feature I could use, cruise control. My work is broken up into 5 major pieces, first is short stop and go, next two are bag loops with a lot of freeway driving (63 mile loops, at least 2/3s freeway), last is a short local hop, and then one last freeway run of 30 miles or so, so cruise is both a pleasant luxury, and one that can save fuel by keeping me at a constant speed. Hmmm, maybe a power rear window? I think they have ones that lower for some trucks, it'd solve the easy break in problem on the sliding type, dunno about the electric sliding windows."

Javarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #32
Registered Member

if its an s-10 just snag one out of a junkyard and hook it up, thats what i did and it works great, the brain and actuator and cable is all in one box. so its easy to install and hook up. also already has the holes marked where to use the self tappign screws to attach the box to the truck

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Javarod Send a message via AIM to Javarod Send a message via Yahoo to Javarod
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
if its an s-10 just snag one out of a junkyard and hook it up, thats what i did and it works great, the brain and actuator and cable is all in one box. so its easy to install and hook up. also already has the holes marked where to use the self tappign screws to attach the box to the truck
Ummm, you lost me on this one, what was it about?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #34
Registered Member

Just realized, I'll be getting an extended cab, I forgot that we've a flower contract that requires the product to be carried in A/C, so I'll need to load the back seat up with a flower holder.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 AM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
An older extended cab compact pickup does not have much space. Do you have to make large deliveries of those A/C-only flowers? If so, you might need a different vehicle...
Old 07-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
An older extended cab compact pickup does not have much space. Do you have to make large deliveries of those A/C-only flowers? If so, you might need a different vehicle...
Not too much, typically we set up a box/rack that'll hold 4 orders, and that'd fit perfectly across the back seat. I'm thinking 90s era S series, the one mentioned way back there at 21/27, preferably in a 4cyl 5spd combination. The extend cab both gives me more room, and solves the flower problem, its the perfect mix of space and cargo versatility. A/C is a requirement because of the temps, 4 July was around 115˚ out here, not good for flowers.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #37
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarod View Post
Just realized, I'll be getting an extended cab, I forgot that we've a flower contract that requires the product to be carried in A/C, so I'll need to load the back seat up with a flower holder.
A friend of mine owns a flower shop, and I deliver on the big days... valentines, Mothers day, etc... I do it in my Beast. 1998 GMC Sierra, extended cab w/ a camper shell. I put the pegboard for the flowers on the floor of the bed. I open the pass thru windows, and cram 2" foam into the gap between the cab and the camper shell. In the winter the flowers don't freeze, and in the summer they don't wilt. It can be done.

I can easily get up to about 25 large arrangements in the back of my truck. One important note though. I have them setup my route ahead of time, and have the flowers in order from last stop, to first so you don't have to reach over anything and damage other arrangements getting something out. I know when my friend delivers in her Explorer she can reach just about any arrangement. I can get a lot more in the Beast though.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #38
Registered Member

^^^ thats also an idea^^^

try to find a 98+ s-10 if u can, get better gas mileage and are a dime a dozen around here (cant stand on any given corner and not see at least 5 s-10's in a 2 minute period lol)
Old 08-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #39
Registered Member

2.3 litre rangers. I'd swear by them so long as one's not in a hurry (or concerned about a spark knock)

If you look around you can get a 4cyl 5 speed extended cab ranger, b2300, b2500, s-10, sonoma, or hombre with a/c

oh and toyota's too but DO NOT BUY A 2.7 OR 4X4 toyota and expect good mpg. so-so at best.
ryandpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #40
Registered Member

lol toyota trucks rust out like mad around here... most of em have to have had homemade beds and frames rewelded back together...very rare you see one older than 5 years...(if you do its rusted out like mad)